• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution: Do you see the resemblence

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Tell you what: Read this brief summary of the evidence for Macroevolution. When you're finished with it, a few weeks from now, then come back and tell us about how there's no evidence for evolutionary theory.

Until then, you have nothing intelligent to say on the topic.

Evidence is not fact,there is evidence that there is life on other planets in other systems (and the equations support this)but it is'nt substantiated.
Quantum physics for example have had an argument about how many dimensions there are,scientists like Tesla knew for a fact about his field and we reap the benefits of it today so what does Toe give us=more questions, maybe's

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I wonder why
because when the Nobel Prize Foundation was formed that is what Nobel said in his will.
It was in 1895... and frankly since it isn't a public organization they don't have to include everyone.
They don't do math either... doesn't make math less important.

wa:do

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
So in other words, you have abandoned the claim that there are no transitional fossils. Well, that's progress, anyway.

Although as soon as I point out that's what you've admitted, you'll backpedal and claim you've admitted no such thing.

First, new species have appeared. Second, you still don't get that a hundred years is not nearly long enough, even for fruit flies, to generate significant morphological change. You'd need at least a few thousand times as much time.

Why can't you understand that?

First ,i said it could be construed that it was transitional not that it was.

Second,how long do you need,does it happen all of a sudden or are the changes gradual,is it mutations and natural selection or a combination of both.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Evidence is not fact,there is evidence that there is life on other planets in other systems (and the equations support this)but it is'nt substantiated.
Quantum physics for example have had an argument about how many dimensions there are,scientists like Tesla knew for a fact about his field and we reap the benefits of it today so what does Toe give us=more questions, maybe's
*sigh*
you didn't bother to even look did you.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Second,how long do you need,does it happen all of a sudden or are the changes gradual,is it mutations and natural selection or a combination of both.
Gradual... its a combination of mutation and natural selection.
Speciation can happen quickly, but it is a much more incrimental change that say going from an ant to a wasp.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Evolution has plenty of practical applications. You can find a good list of them here. Some of the highlights:

Evolutionary theory is the framework tying together all of biology. It explains similarities and differences between organisms, fossils, biogeography, drug resistance, extreme features such as the peacock's tail, relative virulence of parasites, and much more besides. Without the theory of evolution, it would still be possible to know much about biology, but not to understand it.

This explanatory framework is useful in a practical sense. First, a unified theory is easier to learn, because the facts connect together rather than being so many isolated bits of trivia. Second, having a theory makes it possible to see gaps in the theory, suggesting productive areas for new research.

Evolutionary theory has been put to practical use in several areas (Futuyma 1995; Bull and Wichman 2001). For example:
  • Bioinformatics, a multi-billion-dollar industry, consists largely of the comparison of genetic sequences. Descent with modification is one of its most basic assumptions.
  • Diseases and pests evolve resistance to the drugs and pesticides we use against them. Evolutionary theory is used in the field of resistance management in both medicine and agriculture (Bull and Wichman 2001).
  • Evolutionary theory is used to manage fisheries for greater yields (Conover and Munch 2002).
  • Artificial selection has been used since prehistory, but it has become much more efficient with the addition of quantitative trait locus mapping.
  • Knowledge of the evolution of parasite virulence in human populations can help guide public health policy (Galvani 2003).
  • Sex allocation theory, based on evolution theory, was used to predict conditions under which the highly endangered kakapo bird would produce more female offspring, which retrieved it from the brink of extinction (Sutherland 2002).
Phylogenetic analysis, which uses the evolutionary principle of common descent, has proven its usefulness:
  • Tracing genes of known function and comparing how they are related to unknown genes helps one to predict unknown gene function, which is foundational for drug discovery (Branca 2002; Eisen and Wu 2002; Searls 2003).
  • Phylogenetic analysis is a standard part of epidemiology, since it allows the identification of disease reservoirs and sometimes the tracking of step-by-step transmission of disease. For example, phylogenetic analysis confirmed that a Florida dentist was infecting his patients with HIV, that HIV-1 and HIV-2 were transmitted to humans from chimpanzees and mangabey monkeys in the twentieth century, and, when polio was being eradicated from the Americas, that new cases were not coming from hidden reservoirs (Bull and Wichman 2001). It was used in 2002 to help convict a man of intentionally infecting someone with HIV (Vogel 1998). The same principle can be used to trace the source of bioweapons (Cummings and Relman 2002).
  • Phylogenetic analysis to track the diversity of a pathogen can be used to select an appropriate vaccine for a particular region (Gaschen et al. 2002).
  • Ribotyping is a technique for identifying an organism or at least finding its closest known relative by mapping its ribosomal RNA onto the tree of life. It can be used even when the organisms cannot be cultured or recognized by other methods. Ribotyping and other genotyping methods have been used to find previously unknown infectious agents of human disease (Bull and Wichman 2001; Relman 1999).
  • Phylogenetic analysis helps in determining protein folds, since proteins diverging from a common ancestor tend to conserve their folds (Benner 2001).

Directed evolution allows the "breeding" of molecules or molecular pathways to create or enhance products, including:
  • enzymes (Arnold 2001)
  • pigments (Arnold 2001)
  • antibiotics
  • flavors
  • biopolymers
  • bacterial strains to decompose hazardous materials.
Directed evolution can also be used to study the folding and function of natural enzymes (Taylor et al. 2001).

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I believe that people take too much from the written word ,religion is obvious science is next,when i take on a project i start from the beggining regardless of how much has been done.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
OK in laymans terms what are the facts
- virtually all biology uses the theory of evolution in one form or another. It's probably impossible to list all the things that are dependent on the theory of evolution
- knowing how evolution works allows us to better prevent and control many diseases, which helps to keep you healthy
- directed evolution is used to produce consumer products like some food flavours and antibiotics, which gives you things that you use
- knowledge of the theory of evolution has helped us to get strains of bacteria that will break down hazardous chemicals, which can help protect the environment
- knowledge of the theory of evolution has helped us save endangered species, which also helps the environment
- evolutionary theory helps to maximize fishery yields, which helps keep fishermen/fisherwomen in work and allows your fish and chips to be cheaper than it would be otherwise

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
OK in laymans terms what are the facts
Mutation causes changes in DNA... adding, deleting, flipping or just changing single bits.

Mutations are by and large neutral... a few are bad and a few are good. Most of the bad ones get weeded out early.

Neutral and good mutations are passed down to offspring.

Each generation is thus slightly different than the one before it.

given a number of generations and a reason to not mix with the rest of the population a new species can develop.

each new species that branches off is more and more different from its "grandparents". Over time large differences can build up as the result of so many little changes.

In the broadest laymens terms. :cool:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So,if you can tell me what our common ancestor was and how we got to this stage in our evolution a nobel prize awaits,i have said this before,do not give a monkeys chuff if we came from a lump of phlegm from a passing alien as i have nothing to prove.
Toe...ists are the ones with the difficult job of doing that and so far its like cutting an incomplete video tape into thousands of pieces and putting them back together and losing some.
Actually, they are called archaeologists, not Toe...ists.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Mutation causes changes in DNA... adding, deleting, flipping or just changing single bits.

Mutations are by and large neutral... a few are bad and a few are good. Most of the bad ones get weeded out early.

Neutral and good mutations are passed down to offspring.

Each generation is thus slightly different than the one before it.

given a number of generations and a reason to not mix with the rest of the population a new species can develop.

each new species that branches off is more and more different from its "grandparents". Over time large differences can build up as the result of so many little changes.

In the broadest laymens terms. :cool:

Is this proof or supposition