• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution as it relates to Religion

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Yes, but the gene to build it is still there. It is not unusual to have new human births with a tail.

ciao

- viole
The only ones I've seen are just a baby born with a fleshy growth on the back with no bone. That isn't a tail like animals have.
"Ledley conceded that there has never been a single documented case of an animal tail lacking these distinctive features, nor has there been a single case of a human caudal appendage having any of these features."

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
What is it's function?
It actually has several.

Besides protecting you if you fall on your butt:
Several muscles converge from the ring-like arrangement of the pelvic (hip) bones to anchor on the coccyx, forming a bowl-shaped muscular floor of the pelvis called the pelvic diaphragm. The incurved coccyx with its attached pelvic diaphragm keeps the many organs in our abdominal cavity from literally falling through between our legs. Some of the pelvic diaphragm muscles are also important in controlling the elimination of waste from our body through the rectum.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Besides protecting you if you fall on your butt:

Have you ever fell on your coccyx, i have and i can assure you it is a lot more painful and the pain much longer lasting than a simple fall on your butt. Why? Because it is part of your spine, just as a tail is part of your spine

Several muscles converge from the ring-like arrangement of the pelvic (hip) bones to anchor on the coccyx, forming a bowl-shaped muscular floor of the pelvis called the pelvic diaphragm

Just as there are ligaments attached to your spine there are ligaments attached to your coccyx which is the tail of the spine

The incurved coccyx with its attached pelvic diaphragm keeps the many organs in our abdominal cavity from literally falling through between our legs.

See above

Some of the pelvic diaphragm muscles are also important in controlling the elimination of waste from our body through the rectum

Yes, as the equivalent vertebra of a tailed animal are also important.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Funny, but names don't necessarily mean anything. A titmouse for example, is neither a mouse nor a, well, you know

It's called a tailbone, because it is a bone that extents into tails in every single species that has a tail.

It IS a tail. An extremely short one. So short, that we say that it is not longer there.
But strictly/technically speaking, it actually is. It's that bone. That IS our tail. Or what remains of it anyway.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yeah and it doesn't compute... It's just a claim with no evidence.

There is a difference between you don't want to understand and it doesn't compute.

There is bags if fossil evidence and the evidence of embryo development.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Have you ever looked for evidence the the coccyx was once a tail?

It's not something i have ever done because it seems obvious to me however on reading your post i did a quick Google scholar. You could do the same
I rated this as "optimistic", because we all know that @Wildswanderer has no intention of learning anything which might upset his religiously inspired beliefs.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The only ones I've seen are just a baby born with a fleshy growth on the back with no bone. That isn't a tail like animals have.
"Ledley conceded that there has never been a single documented case of an animal tail lacking these distinctive features, nor has there been a single case of a human caudal appendage having any of these features."

Nobody has ever claimed that humans born with a vestigial tail would have a fully functional tail which is identical to the tail of our distant ancestors before it evolved away.

In fact, nobody even expects that to happen. To the point that if it would happen, it would be kind of hard to explain in context of evolution. As the genes for tailbuilding have been shut down, the selection pressure to conserve those sequences would have disappeared. Thus it would no longer be protected by natural selection to result in neat functional tails.

So if by accident such genes would be switched on again and a tail pops out, we expect it to be "deformed" as compared to the tails of our distant ancestors.

But why am I even bothering trying to explain this to you, right?
It's not like you are actually interested in learning about this subject.

You are content (not to say "hellbend") by doubling down on the strawmen, ignorance and religiously inspired denial.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Have you ever fell on your coccyx, i have and i can assure you it is a lot more painful and the pain much longer lasting than a simple fall on your butt. Why? Because it is part of your spine, just as a tail is part of your spine
Yes it hurts but protects you from worse injury.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Nobody has ever claimed that humans born with a vestigial tail would have a fully functional tail which is identical to the tail of our distant ancestors before it evolved away.

In fact, nobody even expects that to happen. To the point that if it would happen, it would be kind of hard to explain in context of evolution. As the genes for tailbuilding have been shut down, the selection pressure to conserve those sequences would have disappeared. Thus it would no longer be protected by natural selection to result in neat functional tails.

So if by accident such genes would be switched on again and a tail pops out, we expect it to be "deformed" as compared to the tails of our distant ancestors.

But why am I even bothering trying to explain this to you, right?
It's not like you are actually interested in learning about this subject.

You are content (not to say "hellbend") by doubling down on the strawmen, ignorance and religiously inspired denial.
Lots of the " tails" aren't even in the same region as the tailbone! To conclude they have anything to do with evolution is ridiculous.

Audie

Veteran Member
It's called a tailbone, because it is a bone that extents into tails in every single species that has a tail.

It IS a tail. An extremely short one. So short, that we say that it is not longer there.
But strictly/technically speaking, it actually is. It's that bone. That IS our tail. Or what remains of it anyway.
Doesnt matter.

If a person reads the bible he automatically
knows more than any anatomist on earth

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Lots of the " tails" aren't even in the same region as the tailbone! To conclude they have anything to do with evolution is ridiculous.

More bare claims.
More dodging of what is actually said.

Here, have a torphy:

upload_2022-6-8_21-59-53.png