• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence?

enaidealukal

Is there any evidence that suggest greek mythology is real?
Sure- writings, art, all sorts of historical evidence that the Greek religion was a real religion or worldview. Any evidence that it was factual? As in, that Greek deities actually exist? Clearly not- you aren't serious, are you?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I believe I understand what you're saying. But I simply look at life in a different manner.

I think that's the key.

It's not so much about whether there's something there independent of our existence. It's about the way we look at things.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Ok,what do you guys think about horoscopes?

As an early attempt to understand the stars. Modern astronomy does owe quite a bit to these early attempts to map the sky, but as far as I can tell, there's no real connection between the position of stars and planets and human behavior.

The jury's still out for me as to whether the full moon affects behavior, though.

What stories on horoscopes and how does this relate to Greek mythos?

Zodiac Mythology

For example the myth on Aries include something about Hermes.

Sure- writings, art, all sorts of historical evidence that the Greek religion was a real religion or worldview. Any evidence that it was factual? As in, that Greek deities actually exist? Clearly not- you aren't serious, are you?
I am quite sure they don;t,but then the ancient greek civilization probably believe in them based on something so that is why I am asking if there any basis

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Zodiac Mythology

For example the myth on Aries include something about Hermes.

I am quite sure they don;t,but then the ancient greek civilization probably believe in them based on something so that is why I am asking if there any basis
Western astrology borrowed heavily from the Greek myths, because those myths have been consistently popular in the West. I don't think the Greeks used any astrology we would recognize today. Our astrology has its roots in Babylon and Mesopotamia.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Western astrology borrowed heavily from the Greek myths, because those myths have been consistently popular in the West. I don't think the Greeks used any astrology we would recognize today. Our astrology has its roots in Babylon and Mesopotamia.

I'm fairly certain this is correct as well. There were astrological writings that came out of Greece - I looked at some of them briefly whilst I was studying the Four Elements - and many modern correspondences can be traced to it.

As for what I think about astrological mythos, I don't really think anything in particular about it. I don't regard it differently than how I regard any mythos, except I'm generally uninterested in astrology. My only interest in it at all is as a system of symbolism... for which it is fantastic, by the way, and it draws very heavily from Greco-Roman mythos.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I can also confirm that Greek literature contains absolutely nothing about astrology as far as I can tell. The Greeks turned to oracles and augurs when they wanted to know their fates, not the stars. A recurring theme is that once given a prophesy you couldn't escape your future (take the story of Oidipus). There was also the concept of Nemesis, which roughly translates to divine punishment caused by breaking against the will of the gods (see Hybris). In addition to that there were the Furies, goddesses of vengeance.

In fact it's pretty safe to claim that the Greek understanding of destiny is a lot more dynamic than what astrology would present. Astrology is based on the idea that everything is "written into the stars", i.e. predetermined and thus predictable. The Greeks however have a strong sense of justice but also a sense that the gods can meddle with the fates of men on a whim (see the beginning of the War of Troy). This also shows in how hard it often was to interpret the oracles: often the true meaning of a prophesy was understood only after the inevitable had already happened.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There isn't any mentions of horoscopes in any Greek literature I've ever read, so the answer is pretty safely no.

Well, insofar as the stories are derived from documented Greek mythos, it would be a yes. But the fact that they're used in contemporary astrology would be irrelevant and it does not mean the person has any interest in using or practicing astrology.

EyeofOdin

Is there any evidence that suggest greek mythology is real?

Some people interpret the myths literally, most don't. Most of the time when people want to follow an ancient polytheistic religion, it's because they're looking for that ancient animistic connection, and coming from the literalist perspective, most of the time from Christianity.

Now are the gods real? Now that's a different question. Personally, I believe yes. In all the power and might of nature, there are gods driving those forces. The forces of rain, lightning, storms, earthquakes, seasons etc.

Some people have what you would call "testimonials" where they have very intimate and personal experiences with the gods. One of mine that I had was when I was praying to Thor for strength and courage, and a few minutes later there was an unexpected thunder storm in my area. It was very comforting.

Christianity likes to pride itself in saying that "God works in mysterious ways". Along with mysterious and humble ways, the gods also manifest themselves in very powerful, beautiful and mighty ways.

What do you mean evidence? There's as much evidence that suggest it's real as there is for other mythologies. For example, it's thought that multiple cultures had stories about a big flood happening because of climate changes at a specific time.

As to mythology, even the Ancients seemed to have contradictory feelings on it. Some of them saw mythology as simply a way of explaining things in a way people could understand, in the form of stories, and even condemned the fact that it attributed to the deities human flaws. I think most Hellenic Polytheist see the myths in this light -- they're stories, not something to be taken literally.

In a way it's like Christianity, some people take the Bible very literally, others interpret it more metaphorically and there are different interpretations.

Hope that makes more sense to you now.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
From the Blind Guardian song Skalds and Shadows:

Do you believe there is sense in it?
Is it Truth or Myth?
They're one in my rhymes.

That's the mindset necessary. Proper understanding of any art, and especially mythology, requires suspension of the true/false binary mode of thinking, so that subjective reality is no less "real" than objective reality.