• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence that Mohamed (pbuh) could not read.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
For.
Is there any external or secular evidence that the prophet could not read and write? What does the Qur'an day? What does the Hadiths say?

Do all Muslims believe this claim? Do some think he could read and write ?

Do you as a Muslim find it logical that a merchant would not be able to read or write?

Personally i find that hard to believe .

Also I have heard it said that he needed to be able to not read and write because other wise he would have been accused of copying past scripture, but couldve that have happened orally?

Should I move this thread to a debate area or is this ok here guys ?

It relates to the question of how to interpret the word ummi. On this link you can see it is translated in different ways in various Quranic translations (illiterate, unlettered, untaught, gentile, or sometimes it is simply left untranslated)

al-A`raf 7:157

Can't add anything more as it is a DIR, but you might be interested in that.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Do you as a Muslim find it logical that a merchant would not be able to read or write?
It's not only logical, it's to be expected. And it explains a great deal about the Quran in a way that would be inappropriate in this DIR.
Tom

Sakeenah

For.
Is there any external or secular evidence that the prophet could not read and write? What does the Qur'an day? What does the Hadiths say?

Do all Muslims believe this claim? Do some think he could read and write ?

Personally i find that hard to believe .

Also I have heard it said that he needed to be able to not read and write because other wise he would have been accused of copying past scripture, but couldve that have happened orally?

Hi Iti ,

There are some books by non muslims that mention that the prophet muhammad wasn't able to read and write.
Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet - Wikipedia by Karen Amstrong

It is also mentioned in the Quran

"Those who follow the Messenger, the Prophet who can neither read not write whom they find written with them in the Tawraat and the Injeel, - he commands them for al-Ma’roof (i.e., Islamic monotheism and all that Islaam has ordained) " (7:157)

"He it is Who sent among the unlettered ones a Messenger from among themselves, reciting to them His Verses, purifying them" ( 62:2)

Ibn ‘Abbaas one of the close companions of prophet muhammad and a quranic exegesis scholar said: ‘Your Prophet was unlettered, unable to read or write .’ Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): ‘Neither did you (O Muhammad) read any book before it (this Qur’an), nor did you write any book (whatsoever) with your right hand. 29:48

In regards to if all muslims believe this, all sunnis have this opinion. I'm not familar with any sect within Islam that claims that the prophet was able to read and write

Yes I think it is possible that a 6th century merchant wasn't able to read and write.
Prophet muhammad (phub)worked for khadija she had her own business, she traded goods through the primary commerce centers at that time, from Mecca to Syria and to Yemen, hiring the most trustworthy men of character. And one of those men she hired was the prophet muhammad. You can't compare 6th century merchants to the merchants of today, reading and writing wasn't always a requirement. But intelligence, trustworthiness and bravery was.

Prophet muhammad wasn't known to have any poetic talents and knowledge on the past scriptures. So I don't think it was possible to copy the scriptures orally.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Hello Iti :)

We have no doubt,I think ALL Muslims agree on this.

There is no historic source said the otherwise.

So why we debate non-Muslims about this :) ?