• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for the Exodus after all?

rusra02

Premium Member
I watched an interesting documentary titled Patterns of Evidence: Exodus. The Bible's account of the Exodus of the Jews from Egypt along with pretty much everything in the Bible has been attacked as a false story in this forum. This documentary presents evidence that the problem is not with the evidence but the investigators looking in the wrong time period. Near the end of the documentary, the film maker stated that he found people did not want to talk about the evidence he presented. Time and again, critics of the Bible's history have loudly proclaimed the Bible history is in error, only to be proven wrong in course of time. Do you believe the Exodus occurred as the Bible said it did?

Sees

Dragonslayer
I watched most of this on Netflix yesterday and it seems like a good documentary. They make a good case to look further back in the past.

Princeps Eugenius

I watched an interesting documentary titled Patterns of Evidence: Exodus. The Bible's account of the Exodus of the Jews from Egypt along with pretty much everything in the Bible has been attacked as a false story in this forum. This documentary presents evidence that the problem is not with the evidence but the investigators looking in the wrong time period. Near the end of the documentary, the film maker stated that he found people did not want to talk about the evidence he presented. Time and again, critics of the Bible's history have loudly proclaimed the Bible history is in error, only to be proven wrong in course of time. Do you believe the Exodus occurred as the Bible said it did?
Werent there supposedly like 3 million people involved in the Exodus? I dont see how it is possible for such a huge number of people to stick together and find enough food and drink to nourish themselves in a barren desert for the time period of 40 years.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

No.
Care to share the evidence the documentary brings to the table ?

rusra02

Premium Member
Werent there supposedly like 3 million people involved in the Exodus? I dont see how it is possible for such a huge number of people to stick together and find enough food and drink to nourish themselves in a barren desert for the time period of 40 years.
According to the Bible, the true God provided food and drink for his people miraculously, giving them manna and providing water in the barren wilderness they trekked through. (Exodus 16:13-15)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I watched an interesting documentary titled Patterns of Evidence: Exodus.
You mean that you saw something that confirmed your presuppositions.

While there is, I believe, a good deal more historical substance to the Exodus narrative than most minimalist acknowledge, there is no significant evidence that "the Exodus occurred as the Bible said it did".

rusra02

Premium Member
So what's the actual evidence?
Basically, the film maker sought evidence for:
  • The entry of Semites into Goshen
  • A Semitic man who became important to the Pharoah
  • The famine recorded in the Bible
  • The Jews enslavement
  • The plagues on Egypt
  • The Jews leaving Egypt
  • Their entry into the promised land
For each event , the documentary provided archeological evidence for this to have occurred, and in the order presented in the Bible.

rusra02

Premium Member
The same God that gave them food and water has the genitals of a donkey and concubines with which he had literal 'Sons of God' with. How do you like your God now?
You must be referring to one of the numerous false gods, not the one true God. (1 Corinthians 8:5,6)

Sees

Dragonslayer
So what's the actual evidence?

No.
Care to share the evidence the documentary brings to the table ?

Half awake and didn't take notes :) just a few of the things:

-Syrian style home with a small pyramid tomb outside of it representing person had a special position/stature and a statue inside that appears to have had a colored garment similar to that described for Joseph...as well as other features representative of a Syrian/Canaanite

-Artifact with Hebrew-like names on a list of servants from the same time period.

-Pharoah of that time period (cant think of the name) has an unusual depiction with frown lines, worried look, some such...

-Time period it is traditionally looked for around the time of Ramses has an artifact with Israelites as established enemies so it makes sense that period is too late.

You would have to see it but they go over it much better than this and basically give a handful of clues/evidence nuggets that all do happen to be for the same time period and go over why the traditionally combed over period is too late. It would make sense if something like the story theme of Exodus did happen + exaggerations, or miracles, per your beliefs.

Here is a reconstructed image of the statue inside the little pyramid tomb
patternsofevidence_joseph0018.jpg

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
-Artifact with Hebrew-like names on a list of servants from the same time period.
-Pharoah of that time period (cant think of the name) has an unusual depiction with frown lines, worried look, some such...
^ Dumb and Dumber.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Basically, the film maker sought evidence for:
  • The entry of Semites into Goshen
  • A Semitic man who became important to the Pharoah
  • The famine recorded in the Bible
  • The Jews enslavement
  • The plagues on Egypt
  • The Jews leaving Egypt
  • Their entry into the promised land
For each event , the documentary provided archeological evidence for this to have occurred, and in the order presented in the Bible.

Half awake and didn't take notes :) just a few of the things:

-Syrian style home with a small pyramid tomb outside of it representing person had a special position/stature and a statue inside that appears to have had a colored garment similar to that described for Joseph...as well as other features representative of a Syrian/Canaanite

-Time period it is traditionally looked for around the time of Ramses has an artifact with Israelites as established enemies so it makes sense that period is too late.

You would have to see it but they go over it much better than this and basically give a handful of clues/evidence nuggets that all do happen to be for the same time period and go over why the traditionally combed over period is too late. It would make sense if something like the story theme of Exodus did happen + exaggerations, or miracles, per your beliefs.

What I am interested in is:

1) Evidence for the huge number of Israelites leaving Egypt.
2) Evidence for the miracles that are said to have transpired.

Did it present any of that ?

rusra02

Premium Member
What I am interested in is:

1) Evidence for the huge number of Israelites leaving Egypt.
2) Evidence for the miracles that are said to have transpired.

Did it present any of that ?
I think archeology is limited in supporting miracles that occurred 3,500 years ago. But the evidence that the events recorded in the Bible are historical lends credence to the entire account, IMO.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I wouldnt be surprised if they found "tangible" evidence of Exodus etc. Thats the same of finding evidence that George Washington existed. Yet, can we find evidence "even if he claimed it" that God spoke to Him? With the desert thing, we may have evidence of the incident but what "tangible" evidence is found to where we know they existed "and" they survived? I imagine God taking a literal hand and giving them food like they are puppies. Im sure that is not the case; God is not tangible.

Therefore, to say there is proof that God had to do with the accounts of history is Only in the stories, testimonies, and claims said and written by other people. Its not objective. We like to put our beliefs on events to confirm to outselves the validity of events that do not stand valid on its own witbout our belief.

I wouldnt doubt some biblical events happened. Its not a work of fiction. It does, however, make readers preassume God exists only because its writters say He does. Faith is not tangible in and of itself: it cant be used to proove God gave people food, parted the red sea, and walked on water.

We take things too literal.

Nam.
:leafwind:

Princeps Eugenius

I think archeology is limited in supporting miracles that occurred 3,500 years ago. But the evidence that the events recorded in the Bible are historical lends credence to the entire account, IMO.
Have you read the link i gave you? What do you think of your God now?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Does it really make a difference? I say this in the perspective of Campbell's "...and the myth became the reality" (a reminder that "myth" does not mean nor imply falsehood).

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

The quran says that pharoon (the person name and not a king of Egypt) was destroyed and all his followers and everything
that they have built, so i don't think anything was left to confirm the events.

whereas unto the people who [in the past] had been deemed utterly low, We gave as their heritage the eastern and western parts of the land that We had blessed. And [thus] thy Sustainer's good promise unto the children of Israel was fulfilled in result of their patience in adversity; whereas We utterly destroyed all that Pharaoh and his people had wrought, and all that they had built. (7:137)

Last edited: