• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence For And Against Evolution

leroy

You keep asking the same questions, when you are the one who is making the positive claim, you are the one who is suppose to answer to those questions.

1. How many fixed beneficial mutations does it take to get a new trait from an old one, and how do you know?

I don’t know, what do you mean by new traint? I am assuming that each trait would require a different amount of mutations. But you are the Darwinist, you are the one who claims that new traits appear by random mutations , so you are the one who is supposed to answer

do you know the answer?

2. How many traits had to be modified to get a human from a human-chimp ancestor?

I don’t know how many traits, since I no idea what you mean by “trait” but if the difference between humans and chimps is 1% and 1% represents 30,000 sites that would imply that you need 30,000, 000 / 2 mutations, and if you are a selectionist, then the mayority of those mutations would have to be benefitial.

But once again, it all depends on your own personal view, are you a selectionist? Do you belive that most of the mutations that get fixed and dominant in a population are beneficial? it is hard to make any math, or any argument against your view if you don’t define your view.

Perhaps you are a selectionists, perhaps you are a neutralist, perhaps you belive that epigenetics played a mayor role in the “human line evolution”, perhaps you belive that a mechanism like natural genetic engeneering played a mayor role, I don’t know, you are the one who has to explain his view. All the comments that I have made on the topic are based on the assumption that you are a selectionist,

I made the assumption that you would argue that most fixed mutation would be benefitial,and made the math according to that assumtion, but if that assumption is wrong please let me know and explain your view..

But let me guess, you will not affirm nor reject selectionism, you will keep your world view vague and ambiguous, and try to answer with a semantic game, so that you can jump from one ´view to another every time you encounter hard questions or objections.

HINT: Had nothing to do with bacteria
Granted, I admit my mistake, but my question has not been answered, what was your point in presenting that article? What makes you think that I would disagree with any of the information in the article?

Yes -
Stop relying on stupid analogies.
Stop relying on Dembski the creationist.

Stop pretending.

What a surprise, you didn’t answer…. What is wrong with Demskies method of design detection? Let me guess, you will not answer to this question.

leroy

Creationist: 2+3=6

Sensible person: Umm... No, 2+3=5

]
Atheist from this forum: I won't tell you how much is 2+3 but I will simply claim that you are wrong because I don't like the implications of your math

If one doest need 30,000,000 / 2 benefitial mutations to evolve a human, like claimed then what is the correct number?

It is a fact that Batten and ReMine have no actual foundation on which to apply their pristine, perfect math.

The problem is that any math would make assumptions on how evolution is suppose to work. Since you haven't explained what your view is and what version of the ToE is your favorite, any assumption is likely to be wrong.

My assumption was that you are a selectionist who believes that most fixed mutations are benefitial, if that asumtion is wrong then the math would also be wrong. So please let me know if the assumption is correct.

leroy

Have you ever heard of indels?

Your answer to that question will determine how I proceed on this issue.

Yes, and if we take indels into account then the 99% similarity would no longer apply making the problem even worst and you will need more than the 30,000,000 mutations to explain the difference between him and and chimps

But feel free to present your model and to take indels in to account.

Most evolutionary biologists are NOT selectionists.
So are you a neutralist? In such case the math would not apply.

You do not seem to understand the difference in the manner in which beneficial v. neutral mutations are accumulated.
What I can't understand is your own personal view, what was the role of benefitial snd neutral mutations in the human evolution line?

Are you a selectionist (most mutations where benefitial)

Are you a neutralist (most fixed mutations where neutral)

Or let me guess, you will no reject nor afirm any of those, you will keep your view vague and ambiguous

I have already explained the error of your assumptions. No need for a model.

No you are still making the positive claim, and you still have to present a testable model that explains the rapid speed of evolution in the "human line".....

You still have to show that the process of random variation + natural selection + genetic drift can account for the evolution of humans..... You have to present your own testable model regardless if Batton was wrong or not.

leroy

Why put words in my mouth?

I never mentioned their math (except wherein I provided a quote from a well-known population geneticist declaring that Haldane's model was wrong).

I DID mention the basis for their argument is non-existent, seeing as how they do not:

1. Know how many mutations would have been required to get any 'human' trait from a non-human ancestor
2. Know what traits the putative ancestor had, so there is no means by which to multiply this by what they do not know from #1 to get ANY answer.

Rather than rely on mathematical models and unwarranted extrapolations, take to heart the p450 allele paper I quoted, and the fact that single point mutations can alter phenotype dramatically as in the case of dwarfism, and just look at the actual genetic trail of evidence:

I forget now who originally posted these on this forum, but I keep it in my archives because it offers a nice 'linear' progression of testing a methodology and then applying it - I have posted this more than a dozen times for creationists who claim that there is no evidence for evolution:

The tested methodology:
Science 25 October 1991:
Vol. 254. no. 5031, pp. 554 - 558

Gene trees and the origins of inbred strains of mice

WR Atchley and WM Fitch

[...]

======================

Science, Vol 255, Issue 5044, 589-592

Experimental phylogenetics: generation of a known phylogeny

DM Hillis, JJ Bull, ME White, MR Badgett, and IJ Molineux
Department of Zoology, University of Texas, Austin 78712.

[...]

==================================

Science, Vol 264, Issue 5159, 671-677

Application and accuracy of molecular phylogenies

[...]

We can hereby CONCLUDE that the results of an application of those methods have merit.

Application of the tested methodology:

Implications of natural selection in shaping 99.4% nonsynonymous DNA identity between humans and chimpanzees: Enlarging genus Homo

[...]

Mitochondrial Insertions into Primate Nuclear Genomes Suggest the Use of numts as a Tool for Phylogeny

[...]

A Molecular Phylogeny of Living Primates

[...]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONCLUSION:
This evidence lays out the results of employing a tested methodology on the question of Primate evolution. The same general criteria/methods have been used on nearly all facets of the evolution of living things.

I edited out most of the verbiage for brevity.

When model and evidence conflict, the sensible go with the evidence and work on the model.

That paper is supporting selectionism but in other comments you are implying that you are not a selectionis

So that is exactly what I mean, you jump from one view to an other without directly afirming nor rejecting any

leroy

Right - he took the current PowerBall winner and declared how impossible it was for that person to have won the lottery.

What he REALLY did, was to take an existing mutant gene, try to 're-create it', and then declared golly, it just takes too long.

Can you really not see the folly in that?
No, that is no how behe calculated improbability, if behe is so obviously wrong why don't you disprove his actual claims?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Because the burden proof is on you, you are the one who is making the positive claim, you are the one who is afirming with high confidence that humans evolved from a common ancestor by a process of random variation and natural selection.

The processes of nature are not random.

tas8831

You keep asking the same questions
Yes - because you need to address them in order for your Batten/ReMine claims to have merit, yet you never do. That is OK - they never did either.
, when you are the one who is making the positive claim, you are the one who is suppose to answer to those questions.
I have addressed that, you cannot understand my responses, apparently. You are claiming that ReMine and Batten are right (a positive claim, no?) and that the number of 'allowed' fixed beneficial mutation is too few to account for human evolution from an ape-like ancestor.

I have been asking for years how they can say that. And no ReMine/Batten acolytes have been able to give a reasonable answer.

HOW do you KNOW whatever number they pretend to calculate IS 'too few'? You don't. THEY don't. But they toss around their bug number math, and it impresses the rubes so much that they hop on the bandwagon.

Sure, but it is up to me to provide you with the actual number, even when I am not claiming that the 'available amount' is too few. Makes total sense - for those with no answers of any kind of their own.

1. How many fixed beneficial mutations does it take to get a new trait from an old one, and how do you know?
I don’t know, what do you mean by new traint? I am assuming that each trait would require a different amount of mutations.​

Now you are finally learning. Sort of. Isn't that the argument? I mean, the FBEs are a means to an end - that end being the traits. Surely, you cannot be so uninspired as to think that ReMine was really just talking about mere mutations?

Let's see what ReMine was referring to:

There are two species of flies (Drosophila) that look alike but have only 25 percent of their DNA sequences in common. Yet the DNA of humans and chimpanzees share 97.5 percent. This means the DNA of two virtually identical flies is 30 times more different than that betweens humans and chimpanzees.
-The Biotic Message, p. 449

That "look alike." Traits. Here is more of ReMine's dopey prose:

Take an ape-like creature from 10 million years ago, substitute a maximum of 500,000 selectively
significant nucleotides and you would have a poet philosopher?... Is this enough to account for the significantly improved skulls, jaws, teeth, feet, speech, upright posture, abstract thought, and appreciation of music, to name just a few?
- The Biotic Message, p. 209

Traits - physical and physiological features, each governed by, at some level, genes/regulatory sequence and altered by mutations.

How many mutations would it have taken to get a human pelvis from an Australopithecine pelvis?

product-1416-title-title-carousel-1456183803.jpg
product-1701-title-title-carousel-1418445453.jpg

Golly, must be 1 million! I was actually told that by a creationist computer guy. Given that we know that a single mutation can produce this kind of pelvis:

product-2492-main-original-1522966864.jpg

from normal phenotypic humans, I'm thinking a million is maybe ~999,990 too many...

But you are the Darwinist,
I am? What does that mean to you?
you are the one who claims that new traits appear by random mutations , so you are the one who is supposed to answer

do you know the answer?
Not specifically, no - never claimed to. But then, I have also not claimed that the maximum number allowed via a direct application of a outdated model using a particular set of parameters is too few. Look at the pelvi above - do YOU think they represent some sort of unbridgeable chasm? Especially in light of the clear phenotypic effects of a single point mutation producing dwarfism in humans?

I don’t know how many traits, since I no idea what you mean by “trait”

And yet you parrot ReMine's argument. Fascinating.
but if the difference between humans and chimps is 1%
It is more than that, overall, but OK...
and 1% represents 30,000 sites that would imply that you need 30,000, 000 / 2 mutations

Wait... what?

30,000 sites = 30,000,000/2.....???

Is that some sort of creationist math?

30,000,000/2 = 15,000,000, not 30,000.

Oh, right - you think that all 30,000,000 nucleotide differences have to be beneficial, right.

What is your evidence that this is so?

and if you are a selectionist,
I am not, but I don;t think you quite understand how this works - even struct selectionists understand that not all DNA differences are fixed, beneficial mutations.
then the mayority of those mutations would have to be benefitial.
You keep making things up.
Are you totally unaware of neutral mutations? Segmental duplications? Indels? These processes can add lots of DNA to a genome, and there is no requirement at all that any of it be beneficial.
But once again, it all depends on your own personal view, are you a selectionist?

No, but that doesn't matter.
Do you belive that most of the mutations that get fixed and dominant in a population are beneficial?
Most of them, yes.
it is hard to make any math, or any argument against your view if you don’t define your view.
h, so you would tailor your math argument depending on whether or not I am a selectionist or not.

That tells me that you have no argument at all.
Perhaps you are a selectionists, perhaps you are a neutralist, perhaps you belive that epigenetics played a mayor role in the “human line evolution”, perhaps you belive that a mechanism like natural genetic engeneering played a mayor role, I don’t know, you are the one who has to explain his view. All the comments that I have made on the topic are based on the assumption that you are a selectionist,
And it really wouldn't matter if I were a Last-Tuesdayist, you either make the same 'math' argument, or you've got no argument.

When debating creationists, what I put forth as evidence for evolution is not tailored depending on whether the creationist is a YEC or an OEC - I use the same evidence. Arguing with YECs provides an additional avenue of argument, but beyond age of the earth stuff, my overall argument would be and is the same.

You are implying that you make DIFFERENT math arguments.

OK - let's say I am a strict neutralist and reject selection in all but a few cases.

Have at it. Let's see your new math.

I made the assumption that you would argue that most fixed mutation would be benefitial,and made the math according to that assumtion, but if that assumption is wrong please let me know and explain your view..
YOU made the math? OK... Wait - you mean that absurd 30,000,000/2 = 30,000 math?

But let me guess, you will not affirm nor reject selectionism, you will keep your world view vague and ambiguous, and try to answer with a semantic game, so that you can jump from one ´view to another every time you encounter hard questions or objections.
I am not a strict selectionist. I presume that most change is neutral unless there is evidence that it is not.
But I don't think you understand genetics very well, for there is also a 'speed limit' for the 'fixation' of neutral alleles/mutations, too. But that is OK.
Granted, I admit my mistake, but my question has not been answered, what was your point in presenting that article? What makes you think that I would disagree with any of the information in the article?
It was about how a single mutation (in that case, an insertion in a regulatory element) provided a species of fly with resistance to DDT, an obvious survival advantage.

Good to know you agree and accept that a single mutation can both alter phenotype, physically (and extensively in some cases -as in the case of dwarfism) or in a small, physiological way (DDT resistance).
That is a start.
What a surprise, you didn’t answer…. What is wrong with Demskies method of design detection? Let me guess, you will not answer to this question.

It is entertaining to see a creationist make much of an asked question not answered - I note that you have yet to answer mine - in fact, you are dutifully trying to find an out.​
And it is true, I did not respond in a direct manner to your question.
But in your scenarios in which you think Dembski's method might apply, I showed that it was irrelevant.

Here is another way I know Dembski's methods are a smokescreen -

Many years ago, in similar discussions with creationists who adored Dembski and his mathemagic, I would ask things like How do his methods apply to genomes? They would guffaw and carry on and act indignant, but not answer except to offer up his bland definitions.

Then I would present a 100 base DNA sequence, and ask his acolytes to tell me whether or not it contained CSI.
The guffawing stopped. A brave soul would ask 'What is it? Is that a gene?' And I would reply - 'You tell me. Use your Dembski math and tell me all about it.'
I would then be told that they had to know whether or not it was a gene, otherwise they couldn't tell me anything about its "information."
Which means Demsbki's methods are worthless when applied to biology.

tas8831

Atheist from this forum: I won't tell you how much is 2+3 but I will simply claim that you are wrong because I don't like the implications of your math

LOL!

Right - in reality:

educated evolutionist: We have 5, we are working what the other number in the equation is - 2+x = 5
desperate creationist: But my non-biologist hero declared nothing adds up to 5!

If one doest need 30,000,000 / 2 benefitial mutations to evolve a human, like claimed then what is the correct number?
Show me how that was the correct number again?

Oh, right - by applying a mathematical model under certain parameters - a model that other population geneticists said was flawed, and which actual experiments and observations have shown must be in error. OK, got it.
The problem is that any math would make assumptions on how evolution is suppose to work. Since you haven't explained what your view is and what version of the ToE is your favorite, any assumption is likely to be wrong.
Are you a population geneticist? A mathematician with experience in working on population models?
No? Then YOU are not going to do anything with any math, regardless of what my 'favorite' version of ToE is.

If I say that my favorite number is 6, are you going to tell me 2+3=6?
My assumption was that you are a selectionist who believes that most fixed mutations are benefitial, if that asumtion is wrong then the math would also be wrong. So please let me know if the assumption is correct.
Irrelevant.

The math is either applicable or it isn't.

GIGO.

tas8831

Yes, and if we take indels into account then the 99% similarity would no longer apply making the problem even worst and you will need more than the 30,000,000 mutations to explain the difference between him and and chimps
LOL!

Ok, no...

Indels are single-events. That is, the insertion or deletion IS a mutation. You don't count all of the bases in an indel when considering mutations.
But feel free to present your model and to take indels in to account.
I have no model and take account of indels in - I asked because you seem to think raw 'size' differences in genomes must all be beneficial mutations. That was why I asked - not all mutations are beneficial, and not every single base is a mutation. This was all in response to this false claim of yours:

"Since we supposedly share 99% of our genome with chimps and genomes are 3Billion base pairs long, that would imply that there is a difference of 30,000,000 base pairs.
Or in other words 30,000,000 mutations
"​

So are you a neutralist? In such case the math would not apply.

OK then - I am a neutralist, and thus ReMine's and batten's claims are moot and evolution is A-OK.:rolleyes:
What I can't understand is your own personal view, what was the role of benefitial snd neutral mutations in the human evolution line?
They both happened. Neutral more so than beneficial.
Are you a selectionist (most mutations where benefitial)

Are you a neutralist (most fixed mutations where neutral)

Or let me guess, you will no reject nor afirm any of those, you will keep your view vague and ambiguous
LOL!
I go with the preponderance of evidence, and the evidence is that unless there is good evidence that selection occurred, assume a mutant is neutral.
OBVIOUSLY selection has occurred, and lots of it. But to think ,as you do, that EVERY nucleotide difference in compared genomes MUST HAVE BEEN a beneficial mutation is truly absurd - even actual selectionists do not do that.

If every nucleotide difference is a fixed beneficial mutation, what do you think about the nucleotide differences between any 2 humans?
No you are still making the positive claim, and you still have to present a testable model that explains the rapid speed of evolution in the "human line".....
I have made NO claim regarding numbers of mutations.

And why add the "testable" burden to me? Where are ReMine's tests? Where are YOUR tests of Haldane's model? I mean besides the ones that essentially falsified it?
You still have to show that the process of random variation + natural selection + genetic drift can account for the evolution of humans..... You have to present your own testable model regardless if Batton was wrong or not.
Where are Batten's tests? Is his model testable?

Why do I have to have testable models and your heroes only have to make assertions?

tas8831

That paper is supporting selectionism but in other comments you are implying that you are not a selectionis

Umm... What are you even talking about?

1. There were 6 papers, not 1
2. None of them look at selectionism v. neutralism

Show me where in those papers "selection" was being supported.

So that is exactly what I mean, you jump from one view to an other without directly afirming nor rejecting any

You're a funny dude.

Unintentionally, I am sure, but funny,.

tas8831

No, that is no how behe calculated improbability, if behe is so obviously wrong why don't you disprove his actual claims?
Why don't you demonstrate that he was correct in extrapolating his findings to all of evolution?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

An answer with references:

Haldane's non-dilemma

Done by actually comparing the genetics, mind you.

The answer is definitely less than 1000, and most likely closer to 4-500.

Original paper: https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/1...01705104v1&sendit=Get All Checked Abstract(s)

leroy

Why don't you demonstrate that he was correct in extrapolating his findings to all of evolution?

@tas8831

This is a small summery perhaps you can help me in spotting your specific point of disagreement

The conclusion of Battens and Remine math was that even on an extremely optimistic and optimal scenario, ant most the human line could accumulate a maximum of 500,000 beneficial mutations in the last 10M years (only 1400 mutations if one uses realistic scenarios)

So this argument only applies for those who claim that more than 500,000 beneficial mutations are required to explain the evolution in the human line. So is this you? Would claim such thing or would you reject it?

The 30,000,000 mutations comes from multiplying 3 billion x 1% assuming that the difference between chimps and humans is just 1%, I know that this is an over simplification because this number assumes that all the differences are caused by point mutations, ignoring things like indeels, if we consider indels the differences between humans and chimps would be far grater than 1% (making the problem worst)..

Assuming that you are a selectionists, this would imply that most of these mutations would be benefitial (certainly a selectionists would say that you need more than 500,000 mutations)

If you are not a selectionists, then the argument doesn’t apply, if you are a neutralist who would claim that the vast, vast majority of mutations that became fixed in the human line where neutral then the math doesn’t apply… so is this you? Are you a neutralist?

The claim that 500,000 is too few mutations is not a claim that I can support, I simply assumes that you would agree with such claim (because I assumed that you where a selectionist) if that assumption is wrong, then it´s wrong and my whole argument would collapse, I have no problem in dropping the argument.

leroy

Ok in this context Behe made 2 claims

1 If an organism requires 1 random mutation to get a selectable benefit, it is very likely that such mutation will eventually happen. If an organism requires 2 mutations (where 1 single mutation would be useless) it would be very unlikely and uncommon, but such an event can happen every once in a while, 3 mutations is simply too unlikely and will never happen…….this is where he puts the “edge of evolution”

2 some “selectable steps” in evolution would require 3 or more random mutations and therefore such steps cant happen through random mutations.

So which if these 2 points would you claim is wrong and why? After you explain to me your exact points of disagreement I would show you the evidence supporting that point in which you disagree

Prediction:
You will not affirm nor deny any of these 2 points, you will maintain your view vague and ambiguous

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
If you are not a selectionists, then the argument doesn’t apply, if you are a neutralist who would claim that the vast, vast majority of mutations that became fixed in the human line where neutral then the math doesn’t apply… so is this you? Are you a neutralist?

The claim that 500,000 is too few mutations is not a claim that I can support, I simply assumes that you would agree with such claim (because I assumed that you where a selectionist) if that assumption is wrong, then it´s wrong and my whole argument would collapse, I have no problem in dropping the argument.
Put me down as a neutralist. Also, from research I have seen, the actual number of fixed genes between humans and the most recent common ancestor with chimps is less than 1000 and most likely much less.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok in this context Behe made 2 claims

1 If an organism requires 1 random mutation to get a selectable benefit, it is very likely that such mutation will eventually happen. If an organism requires 2 mutations (where 1 single mutation would be useless) it would be very unlikely and uncommon, but such an event can happen every once in a while, 3 mutations is simply too unlikely and will never happen…….this is where he puts the “edge of evolution”

I disagree that 3 would be uncommon.

2 some “selectable steps” in evolution would require 3 or more random mutations and therefore such steps cant happen through random mutations.

I agree that many steps in evolution would require more than three mutations.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
@tas8831

This is a small summery perhaps you can help me in spotting your specific point of disagreement

The conclusion of Battens and Remine math was that even on an extremely optimistic and optimal scenario, ant most the human line could accumulate a maximum of 500,000 beneficial mutations in the last 10M years (only 1400 mutations if one uses realistic scenarios)

So this argument only applies for those who claim that more than 500,000 beneficial mutations are required to explain the evolution in the human line. So is this you? Would claim such thing or would you reject it?

The 30,000,000 mutations comes from multiplying 3 billion x 1% assuming that the difference between chimps and humans is just 1%, I know that this is an over simplification because this number assumes that all the differences are caused by point mutations, ignoring things like indeels, if we consider indels the differences between humans and chimps would be far grater than 1% (making the problem worst)..

Assuming that you are a selectionists, this would imply that most of these mutations would be benefitial (certainly a selectionists would say that you need more than 500,000 mutations)

Batton's figures on numbers of mutations is absolutely bogus. No one else describes the possible relationship between primates and humans in this bogus manner as Batton.

It would help if you could cite other biologists and in particular paleobiologists that share Batton's claims of concerning the number of mutations in relation to time, and as a matter of fact you cannot.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You keep asking the same questions, when you are the one who is making the positive claim, you are the one who is suppose to answer to those questions.

You have presented any positive claims that can be falsified by a real hypothesis. Batton did not presnt any verifiable documented evidence supported by biology and other scientists research. His claims of numners of mutations ar absolutely bogus,