• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ever considered becoming a prison chaplain?

paganprince

cerridwen devotee
seriously considering volunteering some time at the local (very small town) prison. i'm not a certified priest by any means, though i do have some recommendations from members of a local grove.

have you ever considered becoming a chaplain? any experience, advice, or deterrents?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not a prison chaplain, but a prison counselor I have considered.
My one bit of advice is to remain open, and not insist people are religious or spiritual in some way in they say they aren't. In a time when you need guidance and healing, it's rather off putting to have someone insist you are something you aren't - this experience was from a hospital chaplain, who seemed cool, but she wouldn't quit insisting that I too am spiritual, just in odd ways that I don't consider spiritual, and that my spiritual health is something I need to be concerned about even though I just don't believe in the same concepts as she does.
I wish you luck in your endeavor, and hope it works out well for you. Inmates aren't really necessarily bad people, and many of them will be just fine with you if you just hear them out and refrain from judging them. They know what they did, and a moment to not be reminded can be a great thing.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
seriously considering volunteering some time at the local (very small town) prison. i'm not a certified priest by any means, though i do have some recommendations from members of a local grove.

have you ever considered becoming a chaplain? any experience, advice, or deterrents?

I’ve worked as a psychiatry intern for many years. That included forensic. The Chaplaincy services in hospitals are increasingly reliant on volunteers. As our communities become more diverse there is a greater openness and necessity for chaplaincy services to have volunteers from different faiths. Why not make contact with the chaplains at your local correctional facility and check out their thoughts about whether you could volunteer. I would advise that you are clear about why you want to do this work and what skills you bring to the table. All the best.