• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics, principals and morals

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
I would agree but for one who has no value for life, and no reason not to commit murder as they don't care about their life, death is too light of a sentence.
I don't agree that behaving barbarically toward barbarians is appropriate. Kill them and have done with it. Otherwise, they will live to breed the kind of scum that we find throughout the prison systems.

Archer

I don't agree that behaving barbarically toward barbarians is appropriate. Kill them and have done with it. Otherwise, they will live to breed the kind of scum that we find throughout the prison systems.

No I mean never let them back into society. EVER.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
No I mean never let them back into society. EVER.
I know what you mean but if they are in prison they have contact with other prisoners or guards or what have you. As for putting them in isolation, I again say that for us to act barbarically toward them is not right. Justice is served by death, not by life imprisonment. What you are proposing is retribution. Or don't you know that bringing about the death of a murderer at least brings closure to the families of the victims? Would you withhold that from them in favor of barbaric torment? Not a good idea.

Archer

I know what you mean but if they are in prison they have contact with other prisoners or guards or what have you. As for putting them in isolation, I again say that for us to act barbarically toward them is not right. Justice is served by death, not by life imprisonment. What you are proposing is retribution. Or don't you know that bringing about the death of a murderer at least brings closure to the families of the victims? Would you withhold that from them in favor of barbaric torment? Not a good idea.

Actually I was playing devils advocate. I am a strong supporter of the death penalty as I see life imprisonment unconstitutional. The bar does need to be raised as to the evidence needed for charges to be brought though. Also after conviction the sentence need be carried out within a year or it is pointless.

As to why a fast death dentence, you said it " contact with other prisoners or guards or what have you".

DarkSun

:eltiT

Good idea.

Let's kill people for killing people. And then when we're done, just to give closure to the family of the killer that was killed, we should kill the person who killed the person for killing people. And then when we're done with that, we should kill the people who killed the person who killed the person for killing people.

After a while, there'll be no murderers left. It'll be a Utopia. :eek:

Sort of like what Hitler had in mind, really.

Archer

Good idea.

Let's kill people for killing people. And then when we're done, just to give closure to the family of the killer that was killed, we should kill the person who killed the person for killing people. And then when we're done with that, we should kill the people who killed the person who killed the person for killing people.

Wont you reach a point when there is nobody left to kill the last killer? Suicide I guess.

gnomon

I am very concerned and regretful that so many here at this forum hold the core family of a biological father and mother in such low esteem. Perhaps this is a reflection of your own families.

My father is the greatest man I ever knew. I feel honored that I was able to take turns with my siblings to care for him during the last six months of his life. My mother is the kindest sweetest person I know. When I was young my father would get his sons up every Saturday morning at 5:00 am and we would go spend half the day helping out with service somewhere, repairing homes, doing yard work, clearing roads, picking fruit or helping out somewhere. It was what dad was and what he taught.

I thought every dad loved and cared for their children like my father did for his. I thought every mother taught their children as I was taught by my mother. I have learned that few experience a loving caring core family. What I have come to learn is that men of honor like my father are rare and women of compassion like my mother are few. I guess times have indeed changed and such families are old fashion, out of date and so simple and very easy to replace. I am so sorry that so few know of or realize the great worth of old fashion families.

It is especially painful to realize that so many see no value to the role of fathers and fathering in society. That the influences of biological fathers giving examples to families that will someday be but such things will soon be an institution of the past and a new society will dance on our grave and celebrate the passing of families. I had hoped to strike some cord of found remembrance with your family. I apologize for not doing a better job of it. But then, perhaps families really are not needed and truly are of no value or need to be cherished or preserved. But I remember and honor my forefathers, my heritage and my family legacy. It will remain my greatest treasure and my last hope for my descendents. It is the one thing more than any other inheritance I hope to pass on to my descendents and generations to follow.

If anyone is interested in being part of a family worth valuing and passing on – let me know. I will be most glad to assist you in any I can.

Zadok

Guess you're family skipped the whole humility lesson.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
Good idea.

This is perhaps the first issue upon which you and I have disagreed. Death as punishment is not the same as murder. Without appropriate punishment, there can be no law and without law there can be no civilization. It just seems to me to be far more cruel to lock someone up for life than to execute them. To me, the latter is far the more compassionate act.