• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical question

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
She should not be teaching or grading anything, judging by this. The fact that she even considered this is unbelievable in itself.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
She should not be teaching or grading anything, judging by this. The fact that she even considered this is unbelievable in itself.
Based on?

I mean, it isn't as though the article gave anything in which to actually judge without a whole lot of assumption making....

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Based on?

I mean, it isn't as though the article gave anything in which to actually judge without a whole lot of assumption making....
She wrote this in public,

“Ethical dilemma: if you have to grade a zionist students exam, do you still give them all their points even though they support your ethnic cleansing?” she wrote. “Like idk”

If I wrote that in public or anything like it or anyone I worked with wrote it, we'd be let go instantly. If I worked with a teacher or a TA who said anything like this I'd bring my concerns to senior staff at once.

McBell

“Ethical dilemma: if you have to grade a zionist students exam, do you still give them all their points even though they support your ethnic cleansing?” she wrote. “Like idk”

If I wrote that in public or anything like it or anyone I worked with wrote it, we'd be let go instantly. If I worked with a teacher or a TA who said anything like this I'd bring my concerns to senior staff at once.
If you read the article you would know that that is as far as it has gotten.

Don't get me wrong, it should be looked into.
However, judging her based solely on the wee little bit of info that is available to us (the article) is doing so with a fairly huge amount of assumption.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If you read the article you would know that that is as far as it has gotten.

Don't get me wrong, it should be looked into.
However, judging her based solely on the wee little bit of info that is available to us (the article) is doing so with a fairly huge amount of assumption.
Yes, it did go that far, and I'm saying I agree with it but I do think it should go further. As someone who works with teachers, I can say with pretty much certainty that if I said anything like that there wouldn't be any room for discussion, I'd be out the door.

McBell

Yes, it did go that far, and I'm saying I agree with it but I do think it should go further. As someone who works with teachers, I can say with pretty much certainty that if I said anything like that there wouldn't be any room for discussion, I'd be out the door.
If no one comes forward saying they think or even suspect that their score was lowered because of it, what is it you think should be done?

Or are you claiming she should have been fired right off the bat, like apparently your employer would do, without anyone complaining about it?

Seems to me it is a really good thing, at least for her, for you not to be the one in control of her employment.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If no one comes forward saying they think or even suspect that their score was lowered because of it, what is it you think should be done?

Or are you claiming she should have been fired right off the bat, like apparently your employer would do, without anyone complaining about it?

Seems to me it is a really good thing, at least for her, for you not to be the one in control of her employment.
In teaching, at least where I am, if you're suspected of something like this they let you go immediately. During the period while you're proving yourself you can't work anymore; so yes, let go, at least for that time. The main issue here is her apparent prejudice towards a certain opinion held by some of her students, and the fact that she's prejudiced in this way would, at least where I am, be a one-way-ticket to find-somewhere-else-to-worksville. You don't get to have opinions in teaching and you certainly can't make them public like that. I can agree that terminating her seems a little harsh, but once someone has said something like that it would make an employer too hesitant to rehire them, wondering that sure she's been fair up to now, but who knows? You don't know, and that's the issue here.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I think we would need to know what the papers were about, and what they were expected to achieve. We don't, so as usual, this "news item" is just click bait that doesn't contain anything by a controversial headline.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I hope she's better at chemistry than she is on ethics.
I assume this was a chemistry, not an ethics exam. The grades should be based on the student's grasp of chemistry, not their ethics.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator

So you think she should be fired ? What if her student supports ethnic cleansing?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Seriously? And the fact that ...

On Wednesday, the campus chapter of the Hillel Jewish group called on students to step forward if they believe that Anayah had lowered their grades unjustly. Faculty at Johns Hopkins are looking into the case, the Forward reported.

Howard Libit, the executive director of the Baltimore Jewish Council, told the Forward that he was unaware of any student who believes Anayah has unjustly lowered their grades. [ibid]​

... gives you no pause?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Seriously? And the fact that ...

On Wednesday, the campus chapter of the Hillel Jewish group called on students to step forward if they believe that Anayah had lowered their grades unjustly. Faculty at Johns Hopkins are looking into the case, the Forward reported.

Howard Libit, the executive director of the Baltimore Jewish Council, told the Forward that he was unaware of any student who believes Anayah has unjustly lowered their grades. [ibid]​

... gives you no pause?
It does, but I'm just going by what my experience shows me. To say such a thing on Twitter and to even think of asking such a question to oneself, let alone in public, also gives me pause. She didn't do anything, but she has beliefs that apparently conflict with her career, so much so that she thought about doing this and aired her views publicly. As a teaching assistant if I did that, I'd be out the door without a question and it'd be very hard for me to find any work again.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It does, but I'm just going by what my experience shows me. To say such a thing on Twitter and to even think of asking such a question to oneself, let alone in public, also gives me pause.
As it should.

She didn't do anything, but she has beliefs that apparently conflict with her career, so much so that she thought about doing this and aired her views publicly.
To be clear, it is very unlikely that she intends a career as teacher assistant grading chemistry papers, but that is hardly the point.

Her question exposed an intense frustration and a deep resentment, both, in my opinion, fully understandable. Meanwhile, her praxis (so far as I can tell) suggests responsible restraint. It seems to me that we have encountered the situation at a point where dialogue might still be more valuable than retaliation. I could be wrong.