• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eternal Heaven\Hell vs Reincarnation

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Eternal Heaven(Hell) vs Reincarnation

These are the two options provided by our religions for afterlife.Which one is more thoughtful to you and why.Any logical reasons or personal experience?

Please dont quote ur holy books to support ur claims.
oh i forgot,in one version,heaven is attained by just having faith in the God of religion.
In another,it is attained if have like more good (>50%).Which one u choose.Atheists/Agnostics can certainly have their say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Neither, but reincarnation appears more humane. Holding us irrevocably and eternally to a decision we were forced to make on faith alone seems evil. We are dynamic beings, yet we are treated as if we're static. Why bother giving us free will then yanking it away once we obtain the information to use it more effectively? It's kind of like asking you to pick your favorite food when you're five years old and then never letting you eat anything else. At the time, you lacked perspective. Is it a good thing to hold you to that? How much more so is holding us eternally to decisions made in our uncertainty here.

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...ates/52078-heaven-hell-gated-communities.html

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
That's why that sort of grace doesn't work. Either grace is efficacious for all, or it is not.

Draka

Wonder Woman
To think that all there is possible for one to learn can be learned in one lifetime is absurd to me. Reincarnation makes more sense in that it gives the spirit many lifetimes to grow in knowledge and wisdom. To reach the height of personal spiritual wisdom in order to return to the whole of the Divine.

Humanistheart

These are the two options provided by our religions for afterlife.Which one is more thoughtful to you and why.Any logical reasons or personal experience?

Please dont quote ur holy books to support ur claims.
oh i forgot,in one version,heaven is attained by just having faith in the God of religion.
In another,it is attained if have like more good (>50%).Which one u choose.Atheists/Agnostics can certainly have their say.

You don't do reincarnation justice in your little discripter, but riencarnation is vastly more ethical than the alternative you're comparing it to. There is no logic in the god version. None what so ever.

Metempsychosis

You don't do reincarnation justice in your little discripter, but riencarnation is vastly more ethical than the alternative you're comparing it to. There is no logic in the god version. None what so ever.

Can u tell me what else u want to know abt reincarnation.

Metempsychosis

I want to know whether you understand the differences between reincarnation and rebirth.

Rebirth is based on the fact of no-self(u should be knowing wat religion it is). Its doctrine that the stream of consciousness,in wich a new consciousness is neither identical to, nor entirely different from, the old consciousness, but forms part of a causal continuum or stream with it.
and
reincarnation is transmigration of soul carrying its latent impression caused by previous actions that makes the future.
But those who talk of reincarnation,mean that consciousness(not the body - mind principle) is also called as soul which is taken as self here.

why do u need need this information anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that reincarntion makes the most sense. It also explains the things that people become angry about ie/ why are there starving children. What did they do to deserve it? Because karma and reincarnation go hand in hand. Reincarnation is part of the eastern idea of life's purpose: for the consciousness to evolve to a point of Enlightenment/Self-realisation. This cannot be achieved in one lifetime.

Hovind's Bulldog

I can't say which is more thoughtful since both require God(s) to make the judgement and I cannot contemplate my God's wisdom so the question is unanswerable. I do believe God can and does reincarnate souls and offers an eternal afterlife for those that offer Him unrequited love.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't say which is more thoughtful since both require God(s) to make the judgement and I cannot contemplate my God's wisdom so the question is unanswerable. I do believe God can and does reincarnate souls and offers an eternal afterlife for those that offer Him unrequited love.

Reincarnation is considered to be a natural phenomenon. There is no judgement in the sense that God sits you down for a performance appraisal and then decides where to send you. The soul is drawn to a new body by its consciousness and karma.

Hovind's Bulldog

Reincarnation is considered to be a natural phenomenon. There is no judgement in the sense that God sits you down for a performance appraisal and then decides where to send you. The soul is drawn to a new body by its consciousness and karma.
I've heard and read that it is natural in Hinduism, but my theology requires the Creater to be responsible since the Created is an intimate part of the Creator. Like a painting is forever assocciated with the painter.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I like reincarnation better, and consider it to be the one that is most likely.

But I wouldn't claim that either one is factually correct or incorrect; there's really no way to know for sure.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard and read that it is natural in Hinduism, but my theology requires the Creater to be responsible since the Created is an intimate part of the Creator. Like a painting is forever assocciated with the painter.

Hinduism also sees the individual as a part and parcel of God. We are simultaneously one with and different from God.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
This is interesting. I've always loved the idea of reincarnation (as long as it's not wrapped up in an icky caste system), but I thought I was the odd man out. I figured most people would prefer the idea of a utopic heaven.

I like the idea of being able to learn more about life each go around, although, you would think that if this were the point, then we would remember what we learned in those past lives.

Anyway, I don't believe in an afterlife. I just think reincarnation a neat idea, and immeasurably preferable to the whole heaven/hell ideology.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
This is interesting. I've always loved the idea of reincarnation (as long as it's not wrapped up in an icky caste system), but I thought I was the odd man out. I figured most people would prefer the idea of a utopic heaven.

I like the idea of being able to learn more about life each go around, although, you would think that if this were the point, then we would remember what we learned in those past lives.

Anyway, I don't believe in an afterlife. I just think reincarnation a neat idea, and immeasurably preferable to the whole heaven/hell ideology.

To be honest, the idea that we could just skip off to heaven after one lifetime and live happily ever after is just fine to me, but entirely unrealistic. I lean toward reincarnation because it makes sense (to me) more than anything else.

I personally wouldn't want to remember all of my life times. That's way too much information and probably full of traumatic experiences! What the soul carries (according to the Hindu philosophy) is Samskara, impressions, and wisdom gained through the evolution of consciousness.

Metempsychosis

@Madhuri

Dont specifically bring ur religion here.This debate has to be neutral and not based on "faith".