• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Errors in your Holy book

CaptainBritain

This is a challenge to theists, who follow a certain book.

When I was a Christian I view my book as a perfect item, regardless of my views now, what I am asking for you to do, be you Christian, Muslim, Jew, Sikh, Hindu etc etc

Look at your own Holy book and identify two errors in it, and I do not mean simple copyist errors, now if you looked at each others Holy books you know you would find plenty, want to see if you can see errors in your own books.

Could be historical, scientific, contradiction, illogical statement etc etc

Who knows, you could list that error here, and a fellow might explain it.

Just want to see how critical an eye you have when looking at your own texts rather than the texts of others.

Cheers,

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I don't remember exactly where, but I believe there's a passage in the Brihad-Aranyaka Upanishad, one of the most holy Vedic texts, which explicitly says that the sun circles the earth. (Though I THINK I may have seen a different Upanishad say that the earth circles the sun, but I'm not sure, so don't quote me on it.)

There's also a passage in the Bhagavad-Gita which can only work as symbolism; taken litereally, it doesn't work at all:

From food all beings are produced:
And from rain all food is produced:
From sacrifice there comes down rain;
From action is born sacrifice. (14)

The word being translated here as "sacrifice" is "yajna". (pronounced "yuh-gyuh") While it could be referring to the Yajna that the gods perform, it most likely was originally referring to the fire rituals that are still performed today. Recently, such a yajna was performed, and supposedly, it brought on a storm, ending a drought. (I haven't been able to confirm this.) Even so, we know how rain is formed nowadays, and it's not from human-performed rituals.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I'm speaking about Christians here. I am quite sure Jews are open to this idea as well, but I'm not as sure about that.

Most are willing to accept there are some errors in their Holy Book. The idea that it is infallible, for the most part, is dwindling. The reason being that most religious people, at least in Western society, are becoming more liberal in their beliefs.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I must point out that I view holy books as starting points, not end points. They are essentially the records of Sages' experiences through their individual words, which, of course, contain their biases. I've yet to read a Holy Book that's 100% perfect. However, to me, it's the spirit and overall teaching of the book that's most important, and not the surface. They're like the Ocean: what's on the surface is just a small piece of what's really there.

I also view Holy Books as tools, which can be applied to life in an uncountable number of ways, even in ways that the original authors never thought of. (This is proven most especially by people using their Holy Books as inspiration for doing evil things, when the spirit of the book seems to go against such things.) Sort of like how a hammer is meant to push nails into tough surfaces, though it does have other possible uses, including as a weapon, though it wasn't intended to be one.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Just to make sure I address the OP properly, I will look at the Bible. Two errors. The first is a contradiction. The synoptic Gospels state that Jesus was crucified and died on Passover. John, on the other hand, states that Jesus was crucified on the day before Passover.

A second, the slaughter of the innocents, in Matthew. The story in which Herod supposedly commanded all of the infants, two years and younger, to be slaughtered in the Bethlehem area. It isn't mentioned anywhere else, and most likely never happened.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

When I was a Christian I view my book as a perfect item, regardless of my views now, what I am asking for you to do, be you Christian, Muslim, Jew, Sikh, Hindu etc etc

Look at your own Holy book and identify two errors in it, and I do not mean simple copyist errors, now if you looked at each others Holy books you know you would find plenty, want to see if you can see errors in your own books.

Just want to see how critical an eye you have when looking at your own texts rather than the texts of others.

Cheers,
Cheers? Not really: it's an ugly and self-serving request of little value much like 'challenging' others to find two serious flaws in a spouse or child. We are far better served by searching for two items of beauty in the holy text of others.

JMiller

Cheers? Not really: it's an ugly and self-serving request of little value much like 'challenging' others to find two serious flaws in a spouse or child. We are far better served by searching for two items of beauty in the holy text of others.
Ah, you stole my thoughts exactly.
Cheers to you ;)

CaptainBritain

Thats just as good to my ears, never said they had to be serious, wrong place name, slight history error, not talking about anything foundational to the faith.

What im getting at is most Holy book dont claim to be written by God but rather mortal men inspired by God, and if there is one thing mortal men can do its **** up a task, even if its slightly,

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Why? why not discover, instead, our capacity for finding beauty and purpose?

JMiller

You seem rather touchy about this, which begs me to wonder why?

Assessment of ones Holy Book is one of the best ways to find its divine truth I would have thought, why are your knickers in a twist about it?
So you can not follow through with a simple "therefor"?
This isn't about me, but your conclusions. So, please go back to my previous post and present a thorough conclusion, as it is, your conclusions are lacking...

CaptainBritain

This isn't about me, but your conclusions. So, please go back to my previous post and present a thorough conclusion, as it is, your conclusions are lacking...

I replied to the person who stole your thoughts.

I have no conclusions to make, I will not pounce on any answer and go.....haha then its all wrong if they got a place name wrong,

Im live and let live, just was sparked by a conversation I had with a fellow who flat refused that even a full stop was in the wrong place just about, and should anybody flame this I will side with the theist if one is targeted.

ellenjanuary

Cheers,
I beg your pardon - there are no errors in Emma. ;)

waitasec

Veteran Member
the captain did... embellishment by moi
therefore
Assessment of ones Holy Book is one of the best ways to find its divine truth I would have thought...

nice ducking technique

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You seem rather touchy about this, which begs me to wonder why?

Assessment of ones Holy Book is one of the best ways to find its divine truth I would have thought, why are your knickers in a twist about it?
Divine truth isn't found in textual criticism, but in prayerful contemplation.