• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Errors And Contradictions In Bible

JerryL

DeepShadow said:
Sure you can! The real issue with the definition as you cite it is not with "necessary" or "unnecessary." It's with the word "part." "Needs" can include much more than necessary parts. I have a need to express myself, but that's not a part of me.
Main Entry: 2need
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): need·ed; need·ing; needs or (auxiliary) need
intransitive senses
1 : to be needful or necessary

Main Entry: 1need
Pronunciation: 'nEd
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ned, from Old English nIed, nEd; akin to Old High German nOt distress, need, Old Prussian nautin need
1 : necessary duty

You could say that my need isn't a real need, but only a want that I feel strongly about. In that case, I could also take issue with the assumption that the creation of mankind was a need. It might likewise have been a want.
So we are a whim. An interesting play thing. Something wanted like a massage or a hot-fudge sunday?

DeepShadow

White Crow
You're deliberately selecting frivolous examples.

Renowned psychologist Abraham Maslow created an entire hierarchy of needs. While the lower ones may not all apply to a perfect being, many would be fulfilled by having offspring or participating in a creative endeavor.

To extend my previous example, I'm a writer. My need to create stories is something I barely understand, but it's very much a part of me. To stop creating my stories would be nearly incomprehenisible, and I can honestly say that given the choice between creativity and death, I'd choose death.

Think I'm exaggerrating? Others have had a similar driving need to create these stories. In Soviet Russia the need was so strong it created an entire underground movement in stories, with offenders risking death to write or even copy a novel that was not state-sponsored. I'm not talking subversive literature, either, just stories that did not have the approval of the state. A writer would give a single manuscript to a friend, who would read it and then meticulously copy it, then pass on both copies to two more friends, who did the same thing. Every step in this chain was fraught with danger, but they did it because of their love of the stories.

Others have similar drives and needs, passions that cause them to create things or interact with people in new ways. You trivialize such needs when you compare them to a massage or a hot fudge sundae.

JerryL

Others have similar drives and needs, passions that cause them to create things or interact with people in new ways. You trivialize such needs when you compare them to a massage or a hot fudge sundae.
Actually, I compared people to a massage or a hot-fudge sunday... a non-need.

Did God need to make people?

DeepShadow

White Crow
JerryL said:
Actually, I compared people to a massage or a hot-fudge sunday... a non-need.
Ah, I understand now. My apologies.

Did God need to make people?
An excellent question! Why don't you ask Him?

My knowledge of God is not complete, but based on what I know of Him, I would say that creating us was more like a "want," or better yet, a "drive," or "passion." Perhaps there are better words for it, but those are closer IMHO.

JerryL

An excellent question! Why don't you ask Him?
OK. God, did you need to make people?

God?

No answer.

My knowledge of God is not complete, but based on what I know of Him, I would say that creating us was more like a "want," or better yet, a "drive," or "passion." Perhaps there are better words for it, but those are closer IMHO.
Then unneccessairy (wasteful) effort.

robtex

Veteran Member
MOD POST:

Hey guys big favor.....the thread is about errors and contradicitons in the bible. I think the question of "Does God need man" is a great metaphyisicial inquiry but may be a better topic for its own thread which you are welcome and encouraged to create. However, can we meander back to the topic of the Bible and if there are errors or contradictions in it for this thread pretty please ?

verita

[FONT=&quot]Always consider this verse when reading Genesis Chapter 1...[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, let not this one thing be hidden from you, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
__________________________________________________ ______
Doubts about the source of the first light...
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form and empty. And darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved on the face of the waters.
Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light. And there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw the light that it was good. And God divided between the light and the darkness.
Gen 1:5 And God called the light, Day. And He called the darkness, Night. And the evening and the morning were the
first day.
This is the source of first light...
1Ti 6:15 For He in His own time will reveal who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords,
1Ti 6:16 who alone has immortality, dwelling in LIGHT which cannot be approached, whom no one of men have seen, nor can see; to whom be honor and power everlasting. Amen
How could there be water above in the sky? Nitrogen and Oxygen contains liquid.
Gen 1:6 And God said, Let there be an expanse in the middle of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Gen 1:7 And God made the expanse, and divided the waters which were under the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so.
Gen 1:8 And God called the expanse, Heavens. And the evening and the morning were the
second day.
The word Nitrogen and Oxygen just came out in our times. The bible calls it water. Here is the answer...
Atmosphere - by just merely looking at the sky you can see there is water because the color is blue. Look at the ocean it is also blue.
Atmosphere is...
79% Nitrogen - it is said that it can be condensed into a colorless liquid like ammonia. So there is liquid on it.
20% Oxygen - If you compress air in a compressor to get oxygen, you can also get water on it.
1% Other Gases
Gen 1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together to one place, and let the dry land appear; and it was so.
Gen
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1:10[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And God called the dry land, Earth. And He called the gathering together of the waters, Seas. And God saw that it was good.
Gen 1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth tender sprouts (the herb seeding seed and the fruit tree producing fruit after its kind, whose seed is in itself) upon the earth; and it was so.
Gen 1:12 And the earth brought forth tender sprouts, the herb yielding seed after its kind, and the tree producing fruit after its kind, whose seed was in itself. And God saw that it was good.
Gen [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:13[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And the evening and the morning were the third day.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]God made the shorelines. God created the plants, herbs and tress for the animals that is to come. Here is the answer why dry land appears...[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Pro [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8:29[/FONT][FONT=&quot] when He gave to the sea its limit that the waters should not pass His command; when He appointed the foundations of the earth;
Jer [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5:22[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Do you not fear Me? says Jehovah. Will you not tremble at my presence, I who have placed the sand for the boundary of the sea by a never-ending decree, so that it cannot pass it? And though they toss themselves, yet they cannot prevail; though its waves roar, yet they cannot pass over it?
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]__________________________________________________ ______
Here God created the SUN and the MOON...
Gen 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to divide between the day and the night. And let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years.
Gen
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1:15[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And let them be for lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth. And it was so.
Gen [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:16[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day and the smaller light to rule the night, and the stars also.
Gen [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:17[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth,
Gen [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:18[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and to rule over the day and over the night; and to divide between the light and the darkness. And God saw that it was good.
Gen [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:19[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And the evening and the morning were the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]fourth day[/FONT][FONT=&quot].
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Did you ever imagine why the Globe model is inclined? It is inclined exactly 23.5 degrees so that every hemisphere of our Globe will receive equal light in one year period. Nobody can incline the EARTH to exactly 23.5 degrees. Only GOD can do it.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Here God created the swarmers, birds and fish. I can't see anything wrong in the fifth day.
Gen 1:20 And God said, Let the waters swarm with swarmers having a living soul; and let birds fly over the earth on the face of the expanse of the heavens.
Gen
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1:21[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind; and every winged fowl after its kind. And God saw that it was good.
Gen [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:22[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters of the seas and let the fowl multiply in the earth.
Gen [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:23[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And the evening and the morning were the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]fifth day[/FONT][FONT=&quot].
[/FONT]
Here God created the cattle, creepers and other beasts. And finally [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Man.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Gen [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1:24[/FONT][FONT=&quot]And God said[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Let the earth bring forth the living creature after its kind, cattle, and creepers, and its beasts of the earth after its kind; and it was so.
Gen [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1:25[/FONT][FONT=&quot] And God made the beasts of the earth after its kind, and cattle after their kind, and all creepers upon the earth after their kind. And God saw that it was good.
[/FONT]

Everyone reading, did you notice 2 persons there... And God said and And God made.
And God said - GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY telling his Son our Lord Jesus Christ...
And God made - The Son our Lord Jesus Christ together with the Father during the time of creation.

Here is what the bible said about the Son of God who is our Lord Jesus Christ...
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 He was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things came into being through Him, and without Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]God bless you.[/FONT]

Jerrell

There is no need to argue. No one will win. People will always beleive what they want to beleive, wether right or wrong. My point, is that there are no contradictions. People who don't understand the bible, people who don't read the bible, and bible who only read short sections of the bible say there are contradictions. But, if you actually study and don't make ignorant statements we could all agree.

sparkyluv

Jerrell said:
There is no need to argue. No one will win. People will always beleive what they want to beleive, wether right or wrong. My point, is that there are no contradictions. People who don't understand the bible, people who don't read the bible, and bible who only read short sections of the bible say there are contradictions. But, if you actually study and don't make ignorant statements we could all agree.
:yes:
I saw a long list of contradictions once (they may be posted on here, I haven't gone through the whole thread yet) and I went through some of them and most of them were people taking one verse and not acknowledging the surrounding verses or people taking it completely out of context.

Ciscokid

I think it's pretty hard to confirm or deny supposed "errors" in the Bible. Matthew states that there were 2 madmen at the cave in Gerganses [spelling?] while the other Gospel writers claim only 1.

That seems like an error but perhaps two different witnesses were there at different times and they saw different things. Matthew heard one account and the other writers heard the other account.

I used to get into finding fault in the Bible but I later found that I was wasting my energy. I realized that it's all about faith, you have faith that what is written is true [or at least in part] or you don't. I realized that I don't have that kind of faith...so I moved on.

Even if the Bible was proven to be wrong about certain things...there are alot of good lessons that it contains. Jesus was a good example of how we ought to behave.

Jerrell

One thing to understand is that only 2 of the four Gospel writers actually saw anything. John saw even more since he was one of the favorites of Jesus. The reason the bible may say two or one is because one writer was seeing two other people, and another writer was one of the people and so only wrote one. (TO throughly explain this i need to know which verse you are stating).

People who don't always have enough faith to beleive will always try to find fault in what others beleive, and practice.

Don't move on, cause faith comes from God

Ro 10:14 - How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? Ro 10:17 - So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Hebrews 11 Read This Chapter[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:1 Now faith is the substance F36 of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:2 For by it the elders obtained a good report. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet F37 speaketh.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God. [/FONT]

JerryL

Even if the Bible was proven to be wrong about certain things...there are alot of good lessons that it contains. Jesus was a good example of how we ought to behave.
I agree. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad lessons in there as well. Pretty much all of the OT for example.

cardw

If you want to get a good overview of this problem of reliability Bart D Ehrman has a great book called, "Misquoting Jesus" where he goes over the difficulty of establishing an official translation.

The major difficulty is that we have a whole lot of early versions of the Bible in Greek that differ from each other. In fact there may be as many as 20 to 30 thousand differences in the texts. Many are minor, but there are a number that are quite significant.

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
Genesis is a parable, it is a creation myth about you and me and how we relate to God, it is not science, it is not fact, it is deeper and wider than that.