• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Errors And Contradictions In Bible

Ron68

Creation of the World
(a) Bible. Book of Genesis. Chapter 1. Verse I and 2:- “In the beginning GOD created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of GOD was hovering over the waters.”
At the initial stage of the formation of the universe only a gaseous mass like a smoke existed. To mention the existence of water at this stage is simply human imagination of Bible writers. Science considers it to be an error. Today’s Bible is conceived in the minds of men. Nothing is so firmly believed except that which is known the least.
(b) Bible. Book of Genesis. Chapt. 1. Verse 3 to 5:- “And GOD said, ‘let there be light’, and there was light. GOD saw that the light was good, and HE separated the light from the darkness. GOD called the light ‘Day’, and the darkness he called night. And there was evening, and there was morning—the First Day.”
Here science has a problem. This is the First day when the light has come. But where has it come from? If the source of light was Sun, then according to the Bible it appears much later on i.e. on the Fourth day as we will see later. Stars also appear on the Fourth day. So how can there be light three days in advance of Sun or stars? These are imaginary descriptions of events. There is a lot of human manipulation.
(c) Bible. Book of Genesis. Chapter 1. Verse.6 to 8:- “And GOD said, Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water. So GOD made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. GOD called the expanse ‘sky.’ And there was evening, and there was morning—the Second Day.”
Here again there is an imagination of human mind. We have already seen earlier that the Sun and the stars had not appeared till then. So in the absence of Sun how can there be evening and morning? And how could there be water above in the sky?
Bible writers did not know that one day science would be so much developed that it would find faults with the Bible.
(d) Bible. Book of Genesis. Chapter 1 Verse 9 to 13:- “And GOD said, Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear. And it was so. GOD called the dry ground land, and the gathered waters
HE called seas. And GOD saw that it was good.
Then GOD said, Let the land produce vegetation: Seed-bearing plants and ‘trees on the land that hear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds. And it was’ so.
The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And GOD saw it was good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the Third Day.”
Here again the science has a problem. How come vegetation and trees with fruit and seed can flourish in the absence of Sunlight? (According to Genesis the Sun would appear much later i.e. on the Fourth Day) Surely human authors have taken a lot of liberty with the Bible text.
(e) Bible. Book of Genesis. Chapter I. Verse 14 to 19:- “And GOD said, Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, and let there be
lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth.
And it was so. GOD made two great lights— the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night.
He also made the stars.
GOD set them in the expanse of the sky to give light to the earth, to govern the day and the night and to separate light from darkness.
And GOD saw that it was good.
And there was evening, and there was morning—the Fourth Day.”
Here again there is a problem. In earlier verses — I 3 it has been said that the earth was already created on the First Day and there was vegetation and trees with fruits and seed. Now it is the Fourth Day and Bible now tells us that on the Fourth Day the Sun and the moon have appeared. But we know from science that the earth and the moon emanated from their original star—the Sun. So here again the Bible statement is other way. round. The Sun should have been mentioned first, light and darkness, vegetation, plants and trees and seeds should have followed thereafter. Order is God’s First Law. Today’s Bible was written in the understanding of man and it was written in the language of man.
(f) Bible. Book of Genesis. Chapter 1. Verse 20 to 23:- “And GOD said. Let the water teem with living creatures. and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky. So GOD created the great creatures of sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind.
And GOD saw that it was good. GOD blessed them and said, Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on earth.
And there was evening and there was morning on the Fifth Day.”
Here again Science has a problem with Bible. Bible says that the winged birds came on the Fifth Day and that too along with the fish. But Bible also says that it was on the Sixth Day that the Animals came on the earth. Coming of the birds before the coming of animals is not acceptable to science. According to science the fish came first, then animals came, and then came the birds—in that sequence. Bible is full of defects. And lately the Vatican has begun to accept the defects.
(g) Bible Book of Genesis. Chapter 1. Verses 24 to 31:- “And God said, Let the land produce living creatures according .to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind.
And it was so.
GOD made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds.
And GOD saw that it was good.
Then GOD said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.
So GOD created man in his own image, in the image of GOD he created him; male and female HE created them.
GOD blessed them and said to them, Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.
Then GOD said, I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food~ And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground— everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.
And it was so.
GOD saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the Sixth Day.”
Here the error as pointed out by science is that the Bible has placed the birds on the Fifth Day of creation while the animals are made to appear later on the Sixth Day.
Here again the sequence of events, according to science is other way round. Appearance of Animals should come before the appearance of birds. Is Bible really the word of GOD?
There is plenty of human manipulation.
(h) Bible. Book of Genesis Chapter 2 Verse 1 to 3:- “Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.
By the Seventh Day GOD had finished the work he had been doing; so on the Seventh Day he rested from all his work.
And GOD blessed the Seventh Day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.”
Here comes the human manipulation. Allude an act to GOD so that it becomes justifiable for folks to follow it. Men willingly believe in what they themselves wish for. Much later Mark at 2:27 said, “Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” The truth is that Sabbath is for man not for God.
If GOD did it, why should not they also do it. A typical Jewish line of thinking. It is also worth bringing to the notice of our readers that these three verses (Chapter 2 Verse 1-3) did not exist in the earlier YAHVIST text of Bible. It is a later addition in Bible by Jews. Why?
We know that all the days that are mentioned in Bible in the creation of the universe are very long periods of time spread over million and millions of years. But here abruptly we come to a day, which is only twenty-four hours long. It is just to justify the SABBATH —the Day of rest of the Jews.
Here again there is an addition in the Bible. This later day addition in the Bible is therefore deliberate, imaginative and purely whimsical just to justify the Day of Sabbath.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I'm sorry, I have spent some time already countering some of your quotes; I think I'll leave it up to another, who has more vitality than I.:)

Ori

Angel slayer
I thought I was the only one who posted these things? Oh well, I doth my hat to you my young padawan learner.

Melody

Ron,
I'm just going to cut to the chase because my answer to most of your "errors" is that God can do anything he wants and if you see it as a contradiction, that's your problem...not His.

I am curious though. It was my understanding that the Muslims claim of following the God of Abraham is that they accept the Tanakh as truth. Since, if I understand correctly, the Christian Old Testament is the same as the Tanakh, you must also be saying that the Tanakh is also in error?

If that is the case, then isn't the whole book suspect and, if so, what are your beliefs founded on?

Stormygale

Hmmm...after all the centuries and passings-down of the Bible, we can in now way trust every single story and belief that it offers. Many of the books were passed down in parts, through word of mouth, and foresuredly, tossed about and added into. Once they were actually constructed into Books, I am sure they were so worded to sound both right, and nice to read. The transferring of texts from one language, a dead one, to say, English, has taken another toll on how the bible reads. Words that meant one thing in those years, or in that land today, DO NOT have the same meanings today. Thus, how can we put total trust in anything we read....???

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Ron68 said:
Nothing is so firmly believed except that which is known the least.
If nothing else, your diatribe has proven this about you. Thanks for the abject lesson: I'll try not to repeat your mistakes!

DeepShadow

White Crow
Ron68 said:
these are facts
Facts that entirely miss the point, that the Bible is not a science textbook. It's full of metaphor. I'm sure science would have a problem with Coleridge saying there's a star shining through the nether tip of the crescent moon--was Coleridge so stupid that he didn't know that a) the moon doesn't have tips, and b) starlight can't shine through it? I seriously doubt it.

Or how about Shakespeare, so foolish to have Macbeth say that his bloody hand would turn the entire ocean red if he tried to wash it off! What's with that?

It's sad to see people discuss religion who can't understand metaphor, and even a little frightening. When Christ says "I am the door," am I supposed to reach for a knob?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Deep Shadow... you should have a "coke alert" on your post! Reach for a knob, indeed. Now I have diet Creme Soda all over my screen and keyboard and dripping out of my nose. It's a laptop no less. :D

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
DeepShadow said:
It's sad to see people discuss religion who can't understand metaphor, and even a little frightening. When Christ says "I am the door," am I supposed to reach for a knob?
Some would see that door as eternally bolted shut.:D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ron68 said:
Creation of the World
(a) ...
At the initial stage of the formation of the universe only a gaseous mass like a smoke existed. To mention the existence of water at this stage is simply human imagination of Bible writers. Science considers it to be an error. Today’s Bible is conceived in the minds of men. Nothing is so firmly believed except that which is known the least.
Hi, Ron

Here's my rendition of the 1st day of creation, as I once taught it:

IN THE BEGINNING GOD CREATED THE HEAVEN AND THE EARTH - (Genesis 1:1)

WHO HATH MEASURED THE WATERS IN THE HOLLOW OF HIS HAND - (Isaiah 40:12)

On the 1st day of creation, God held out His hand and spoke a mass of sea water into the palm of His hand.

AND THE EARTH WAS WITHOUT FORM, AND VOID;

It has no form because it is a mass of sea water in the palm of His hand. It is void, because it is void of life.

AND DARKNESS WAS UPON THE FACE OF THE DEEP.

No light as yet.

AND THE SPIRIT OF GOD MOVED UPON THE FACE OF THE WATERS

Notice it says moved ... not brooded like other translations would have you believe. There was nothing to brood about. His creation is perfect. So what is the Spirit doing? He's taking a geodesic survey and relaying the co-ordinates back to the Father. Why do I say this? Back to Isaiah 40:12 ...

WHO HATH MEASURED THE WATERS IN THE HOLLOW OF HIS HAND, AND METED OUT HEAVEN WITH THE SPAN, AND COMPREHENDED THE DUST OF THE EARTH IN A MEASURE, AND WEIGHED THE MOUNTAINS IN SCALES, AND THE HILLS IN A BALANCE?

You see, God didn't just haphazardly make the universe, it's all measured out perfectly.

As someone once put it, 'God don't make no junk'.

Is our God awesome or what?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ron68 said:
Creation of the World
(b) Bible. Book of Genesis. Chapt. 1. Verse 3 to 5:
Here science has a problem.
Science indeed has problems, Ron. They can do wonderful things like harness electromagnetic radiation and bring it into our homes as heat and light. Science can answer a lot of questions about God's creation, and science can even prolong our lives and give us our health back when we are sick.

But what science cannot do, is explain the spiritual world.

That's because Science is confined to the physical world. If you look at the spiritual world through Scientific glasses, you see nothing; but if you look at Science through spiritual glasses, you see activity.

What does God Himself have to say about oppositional science?

1 Timothy 6:20 = O TIMOTHY, KEEP THAT WHICH IS COMMITTED TO THY TRUST, AVOIDING PROFANE AND VAIN BABBLINGS, AND OPPOSITIONS OF SCIENCE FALSELY SO CALLED:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ron68 said:
Creation of the World

(b) Bible. Book of Genesis. Chapt. 1. Verse 3 to 5: ...

Here science has a problem. This is the First day when the light has come. But where has it come from? If the source of light was Sun, then according to the Bible it appears much later on i.e. on the Fourth day as we will see later. Stars also appear on the Fourth day. So how can there be light three days in advance of Sun or stars? These are imaginary descriptions of events. There is a lot of human manipulation.
AND GOD SAID, LET THERE BE LIGHT: AND THERE WAS LIGHT.

The Electromagnetic Spectrum is created here. This would include Visible Light as well. The Sun also produces light, but light can exist independent of the Sun.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ron68 said:
Bible writers did not know that one day science would be so much developed that it would find faults with the Bible.
Au contraire, Ron; Bible writers were well-familiar with oppositional science, as "scientists" were disputing the Bible as it was being written in progress.

That's why God, thru Paul, told Timothy to avoid them and stay focused on spiritual things.

1 Timothy 6:20 [again] = O TIMOTHY, KEEP THAT WHICH IS COMMITTED TO THY TRUST, AVOIDING PROFANE AND VAIN BABBLINGS, AND OPPOSITIONS OF SCIENCE, FALSELY SO CALLED:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
DeepShadow said:
Facts that entirely miss the point, that the Bible is not a science textbook.
* even though the bible is not a scince textbook but it should have clear vision for all human beings to know thier beginning and ending at least because if God didn't sent these words to us to understand the creation of everything so do you mean he was talking to himself and explaining to himself or these things or maybe it's just journals about thoughts and stuff or like a diary???

it's for us ofcourse to understand what happened to know where do we come from and where we will go after then.

the problem is even though we can't bring any single evidence for what we believe in but we insist it's the plain truth whatever happened and we just close our eyes and ears from anything that come up with new things that will make us think all over again of what we were believeing in all these years but i think it's the weakness which force us to believe blindly in what we have been taugh for years just because they told us it's the truth even though we don't have any clue about it !!!

what a pity?

Yerda

Veteran Member
DeepShadow said:
When Christ says "I am the door," am I supposed to reach for a knob?
NetDoc said:
Reach for a knob, indeed. Now I have diet Creme Soda all over my screen and keyboard and dripping out of my nose.
Must..not...make...dirty...remarks.....

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ron68 said:
Creation of the World

(c) Bible. Book of Genesis. Chapter 1. Verse.6 to 8:- “And GOD said, Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water. So GOD made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. GOD called the expanse ‘sky.’ And there was evening, and there was morning—the Second Day.”
Here again there is an imagination of human mind. We have already seen earlier that the Sun and the stars had not appeared till then. So in the absence of Sun how can there be evening and morning?
The point is that it was a 24-hour period. One rotation of the Earth on its axis.

Ron68 said:
And how could there be water above in the sky?
Storm clouds can actually weigh more than a mountain, yet are carried aloft by the winds.

What the Bible is describing, though, is what we call the Water Canopy. Just before God made the dry land appear, He sheared off a layer of water sufficient enough to return and cover the earth to a depth of approx. five miles. He then expanded that ring of water into the upper atmosphere, where for centuries it refracted the sunlight evenly over the Earth, creating a global tropical paradise.

In Noah's time, He simply sent that canopy of water raining to the Earth, where all life was drowned. The subsequent effect of this is that the earth lost its global tropical climate and acquired a polar-to-tropical climate, which eventually killed off the dinosaurs.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ron68 said:
Creation of the World
(d) Bible. Book of Genesis. Chapter 1 Verse 9 to 13:- “And GOD said, Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear. And it was so. GOD called the dry ground land, and the gathered waters
HE called seas. And GOD saw that it was good.
Then GOD said, Let the land produce vegetation: Seed-bearing plants and ‘trees on the land that hear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds. And it was’ so.
The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And GOD saw it was good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the Third Day.”
Here again the science has a problem. How come vegetation and trees with fruit and seed can flourish in the absence of Sunlight? (According to Genesis the Sun would appear much later i.e. on the Fourth Day) Surely human authors have taken a lot of liberty with the Bible text.
Now this is where I said in an earlier post that God created sea water in the palm of His hand. Sea water contains almost every element in the Periodic Table. Notice that God caused the DRY LAND TO APPEAR. All He had to do was cause the Elements in the sea water to combine to form land, then order the sea water to 'stand aside' and one huge land mass appeared - (called Pangea today).

The vegetation and plant life existing without the sun also was no problem. (As a matter of fact, that is one of the major proofs that they were 24-hour periods, not-1000 year periods.) The plants first draw their nutrients from the soil, then photosynthesis does the rest. So the absence of sunlight would have been no problem. You can prove this by putting a flower in a dark room, where it takes about a week to die.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ron68 said:
Creation of the World(e) Bible. Book of Genesis. Chapter I. Verse 14 to 19:Here again there is a problem. In earlier verses — I 3 it has been said that the earth was already created on the First Day and there was vegetation and trees with fruits and seed. Now it is the Fourth Day and Bible now tells us that on the Fourth Day the Sun and the moon have appeared. But we know from science that the earth and the moon emanated from their original star—the Sun. So here again the Bible statement is other way. round. The Sun should have been mentioned first, light and darkness, vegetation, plants and trees and seeds should have followed thereafter. Order is God’s First Law. Today’s Bible was written in the understanding of man and it was written in the language of man.
That's the beauty of the Creation, Ron. "Scientists" say the Sun was created first. The Bible says Earth came first. I love it! Order indeed is a law of God. 1 Corinthians 14:40 = LET ALL THINGS BE DONE DECENTLY AND IN ORDER. But God's order, not man's. Keep in mind: amateurs built the Ark, scientists built the Titanic.