• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erratic Existential Enigmas Perplex People Profoundly

mortuus monastica

Well, I'm sure that the title of my introduction tells you a fair bit about me and what type of person I am. But just incase you're not a modern-day Sherlock Holmes who likes to psychoanalyze people based upon their choice of introductory thread title, this post might help you along a little bit more than just the title.

First off, since these are religious debate forums, I should mention that if you consider Buddhism to be in any way connected or concerning deities, then I’m much more of an atheist than a Buddhist; however, if you take Buddhism as more of a philosophy, then I’m resonantly Buddhist. If that didn’t make any sense, then here’s this: I’m Buddhist, but don’t believe any of the spirit, nirvana, etc. aspects found in many sects. Though Jodo Shinshu Buddhism is a Pure Land sect, I find myself having a hard time with many of it’s more… theological tenants, and lean more towards agnostic dharma than anything else.

I’m a scientist at heart, but that in no way implies that science approaches anything resembling a religion for me. I absolutely love advanced theoretical physics, and have been focused in my learning, researching and teaching to the primary Unified Theories that have been hypothesized, but also greatly enjoy quantum theory and mechanics, thermodynamic organic electrochemistry, abstract harmonic calculus, the finer points of graph theory (and no, that’s not just the ordinary stuff you do in high school), and computer programming. From all this, you can probably tell I’ll be primarily in the Science and Religion forums, although with school and all, I probably wont be able to post often.

Despite all that, I’m not a complete nut job, though I do have a passion for the English language (fluent grammar and intellectual articulation in particular) – so sometimes reading the post in the forum gets a bit painful, and I might mention such if the antagonist refuses to cease and desist.

Well, I’ve talked enough – I’d better get on with life…

Oh, and by the way:
-Mortuus Monastica is Latin for Dead Religion,
-My avatar is Japanese for Intelligent Wisdom,
-and Erratic Existential Enigmas Perplex People Profoundly is English for Problems Puzzle Us

Smoke

Done here.
Welcome aboard!

mortuus monastica said:
Well, I'm sure that the title of my introduction tells you a fair bit about me and what type of person I am.
One who likes alliteration?

mortuus monastica said:
Despite all that, I’m not a complete nut job,
Don't feel bad. You can work up to it. We can help. ;)

mortuus monastica said:
-Mortuus Monastica is Latin for Dead Religion
Are you sure?

mortuus monastica

Well, okay - more like 'dead religious' if directly translated, but even that doesn't quite get it... Most certainly doesn't translate to 'dead (seriously) religious.'

Isn't linguistics fun?

QTpi

Mischevious One
Hi, mortuus monastica. Welcome to Religious Forums. We're happy to have you with us and hope you enjoy your stay. :) That was a great introduction. I am looking forward to reading your posts!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
mortuus monastica said:
Well, okay - more like 'dead religious' if directly translated, but even that doesn't quite get it... Most certainly doesn't translate to 'dead (seriously) religious.'

Isn't linguistics fun?

Hi mortuus monastica,

And Welcome to Religious Forums!

Please feel free to ask questions, if you have any. You might like to check out our article with links for our newer members; from there, there is also a link to the forum rules which you ought to look at.

Isn't linguistics fun?
Yes. I love anything to do with words; one of my ideas of'fun' is making up trans-lingual puns......very boring for those arond me..hehe

Hope you like it here, and I look forward to seeing your posts.:)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
mortuus monastica said:

Isn't linguistics fun?

No, monastica is not Latin for either religion or religious. The Latin for religion is religio. Monastic's etymology is Greek rather than Latin and comes from monazein which means to live alone. It actually refers to a lone practitioner of religion, in other words monasticism. Obviously, the kind of monasticism currently most common is the sort of communal living that is not really (strictly speaking) monastic at all but the term was first used to describe those lone practitioners in the the Thebaid (Egyptian desert). The original monastic was what we would generally now refer to as a religious hermit.

Welcome to the forum, though.

James

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
3fairywelcome.gif

Please to meet you. Glad you could join us.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Excellent intro! Welcome to the forum and looking forward to your posts! :) Groovy user name by the way.