• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ericmurphy's bunnies

Don't confuse your inability to understand with a lack of explanation. And please don't project gross intellectual irresponsibility onto others.

One last time ...Either derive the fact of evolution from the premises given or consign your harebrained mantra to the fate it deserves.

I've done it six times already, but you're clearly either incapable of understanding it, or you're deliberately pretending not to.

I AM NOT CLAIMING TO BE ABLE TO INFER THE CORRECTNESS OF THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION FROM THESE OBSERVATIONS. I HAVE SAID THAT OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

What I am saying is that if there are organisms which existed in the past but do not exist now, and if there are organisms which exist now that did not exist in the past, then some form of evolution must have happened. I don't care if that form of evolution took the form of divine intervention, or naturalistic means such as random mutation plus natural selection, or supernatural poofing into existence.

Can you account for the present existence of rabbits without reference to any sort of evolution if rabbits have not always existed? You cannot, can you? You can't even think of another way for rabbits to have appeared. There is no way to account for the present existence of rabbits if one disclaims the possibility of evolutionary change.

Is there some other way I can put this so you can understand what I'm saying? No? Then perhaps it's time to end this discussion.

It's clear that no matter how hard I try, I can either not get you to understand the difference between evolution itself and various theories that attempt to explain that evolution, or I cannot get you to admit that you understand the difference.

Which is it?

Fluffy

A fool
ericmurphy said:
I'm not overstating anything. If anything, you are overstating things by imputing to me conclusions I have not drawn.

All I have done so far is kick the legs out from under the argument that evolution cannot happen. I've demonstrated, by reference to nothing but observation, that evolution provably does happen. Once we've established that, we can then get to various hypotheses as to how evolution happens, and how those hypotheses weather testing by further observation.

By using a broken definition of evolution. You haven't justified why any change in organisms should be termed evolution. Show me the scientific consensus that this is what evolution is.

I don't understand why you believe that any mechanism can cause evolution rather than the specific set of mechanisms outlined by evolutionary theory. Nor do I understand why you feel that outlining such a requirement is to equate evolution with evolutionary theory. If change in organisms is caused by something outside of this set then it is not evolution. For example if God does it or we do it, then it is not evolution. Therefore, you need to provide extra evidence/reasoning in order to justify this part.

It would be helpful if you could explain why, under the creationist account of diversity your definition of evolution would not still apply and, if it still does, why you then feel it is appropriate?

Also members on this thread have repeatedly and explicitly outlined the difference between evolutionary theory and evolution. If you are concerned with whether Jay understands the difference that you are trying to draw then you need not be. His posts on the topic in the past indicate that his knowledge of the subject is extensive.

By using a broken definition of evolution. You haven't justified why any change in organisms should be termed evolution. Show me the scientific consensus that this is what evolution is.

I don't understand why you believe that any mechanism can cause evolution rather than the specific set of mechanisms outlined by evolutionary theory.
I don't believe this. I am not even DISCUSSING any mechanisms for evolution. How many times do I have to say that? Can anyone here distinguish between observation and inference?

Nor do I understand why you feel that outlining such a requirement is to equate evolution with evolutionary theory.
Then what is it? What would you term the change in organisms over time, without reference to any mechanisms proposed by any theory? Do you understand what I'm trying to do here? I simply cannot believe the inability of seemingly everyone here to distinguish between inarguable observation and inferences drawn from observation. Inferences can always be argued with. Observations can only be denied. They cannot be argued with.

If change in organisms is caused by something outside of this set then it is not evolution. For example if God does it or we do it, then it is not evolution. Therefore, you need to provide extra evidence/reasoning in order to justify this part.

Then what is it? Can we please come to agreement on some term for the observed changes in living organisms over time that does not appeal to some mechanism to explain those changes? I'll use whatever term you want to use; I'm not picky. But you need to find some term that does not presuppose that evolutionary theory is true. The whole purpose here is to avoid accusations from creationists of circular reasoning. If you use assumptions that evolutionary theory is correct in order to come up with evidence that evolutionary theory is correct, you're sunk.

It would be helpful if you could explain why, under the creationist account of diversity your definition of evolution would not still apply and, if it still does, why you then feel it is appropriate?

I'm not saying it won't apply. I'm not trying to demolish all creationist arguments with one fell swoop. That living organisms have changed over time is not incompatible with the belief that god created all life. It does demolish the argument that there was a single act of creation in the past, which is what a majority of creationists appear to believe.

I feel like I'm expected to justify all of evolutionary theory here, right now, and to demolish all creationist claims right now. I'm not even trying to do that. I am trying to lay a simple groundwork for a much more expansive argument. That groundwork begins with the very simple assertion that life has changed over time, and that some explanation is needed to explain that change.

If we cannot get agreement that life has changed over time, then there's no way to proceed further with the argument. This is exactly why creationists can get away with arguments that evolution doesn't happen. I'm saying it does happen, it's inarguable that it does happen, and I'm using very simple, obvious, unarguable observations to show that it happens.

Why do you have such insurmountable problems with that?

Also members on this thread have repeatedly and explicitly outlined the difference between evolutionary theory and evolution. If you are concerned with whether Jay understands the difference that you are trying to draw then you need not be. His posts on the topic in the past indicate that his knowledge of the subject is extensive.

Then why does he apparently have such a huge problem with distinguishing between observation and inference? That is the distinction I am trying to make here, but Jay either does not understand the distinction, or he is pretending not to understand the distinction. I don't see a third possibility.

And why is that?

Because where, for crying out loud, did the rabbits come from? They came from somewhere, right? Either they arose through random mutation and natural selection from pre-existing forms, or god "poofed" them into existence at some point after he "poofed" other organisms into existence, or who knows? Maybe aliens planted them here 50 million years ago.

One way or another, they got here. They did not exist, and now they do exist. Do you deny that some explanation will be eventually needed for how they came to exist? They have not existed always.

Fluffy

A fool
Your overstatement happens at this point:

"I'm not inferring that the change is in inherited traits, which is why I left that part out of the definition I am using."

Then what you are talking about is not evolution. You have taken the definition of evolution, removed a part that you cannot justify and then called what you have left "evolution".

So when you say to somebody "if there are organisms which existed in the past but do not exist now, and if there are organisms which exist now that did not exist in the past, then some form of evolution must have happened." and you fail to mention to that person that you have made the omission you admit to above but are merely stating a tautology then you are overstating your case. If you make explicitly clear that you are not referring to the evolution of science or the evolution outlined by evolutionary theory then you would be presenting your case honestly if unintuitively but prepare yourself for the resounding chorus of 'So what's.

Fluffy

A fool
ericmurphy said:
Because where, for crying out loud, did the rabbits come from? They came from somewhere, right? Either they arose through random mutation and natural selection from pre-existing forms, or god "poofed" them into existence at some point after he "poofed" other organisms into existence, or who knows? Maybe aliens planted them here 50 million years ago.
Can I just check, do you think that regardless of which of these options happened, it would still be right to term this event "evolution"?

In other words are you saying that God creating an animal from nothing is evolution?

Your overstatement happens at this point:

"I'm not inferring that the change is in inherited traits, which is why I left that part out of the definition I am using."

Then what you are talking about is not evolution. You have taken the definition of evolution, removed a part that you cannot justify and then called what you have left "evolution".

Fine. Come up with another word for it. What word would you use to describe the phenomenon of observable changes in the types of organisms in existence over time? I am looking for a word that describes such changes without reference to any assumptions about what caused those changes. Can you do that?

So when you say to somebody "if there are organisms which existed in the past but do not exist now, and if there are organisms which exist now that did not exist in the past, then some form of evolution must have happened." and you fail to mention to that person that you have made the omission you admit to above but are merely stating a tautology then you are overstating your case.
Where is the overstatement? If anything, I am understating my case. I am not claiming that the observed changes are due to inheritance; most creationists who hold to special creation deny that inheritance. I am stating that the observed changes exist, and that is all I am stating.

If you make explicitly clear that you are not referring to the evolution of science or the evolution outlined by evolutionary theory then you would be presenting your case honestly if unintuitively but prepare yourself for the resounding chorus of 'So what's.

I don't know how many times I have stated, clearly and explicitly, over and over again, that I am not referring to any scientific explanation for evolution, and am specifically disclaiming any explanation for the causes of those changes. I have said over and over to the point of exhaustion that I am not claiming these observations in any way demonstrate that any particular explanation for the observed changes is true.

I totally agree that I should get a chorus of 'so whats,' but I do not. I cannot tell you how many times creationists have claimed that life cannot evolve, has never evolved, and is the same now as it has always been. I have been trying to point out for two days now that that is absolutely, provably untrue, regardless of what you may think about what caused organisms to change over time.

Can I just check, do you think that regardless of which of these options happened, it would still be right to term this event "evolution"?

In other words are you saying that God creating an animal from nothing is evolution?

I don't know what other term to use. Organisms have changed over time. What other term would you use to describe that change?

God creating all life at once from nothing is not evolution. Nothing changes after the initial point of creation. Regardless of whether you believe life arose through entirely natural and unguided processes, or god has created it at intervals over time, life has changed. It's inarguable that it has changed. Now: what term should be used for that process of change? Regardless of what the process consists of?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Fine. Come up with another word for it.

at long last

ericmurphy's bunny

istockphoto_1338479_easter_bunny_cartoon.jpg

R I P

I don't know? Do you think they came from the trilobites?

How many times do I have to tell you that I do not think rabbits are evolved from trilobites, they're not descended from trilobites, trilobites are not the ancestors of rabbits, etc.? I've said this at least three times so far. The most anyone can say is that rabbits and trilobites must share a common ancestor, if common descent is true.

Now—are you curious to try to figure out where rabbits came from? Because I am.

at long last

ericmurphy's bunny

istockphoto_1338479_easter_bunny_cartoon.jpg

R I P

So you call the observed change in the types of organisms over time "ericmurphy's bunny."

I was thinking a more descriptive term would be better, but whatever.

You know, Jay, so far I've been pretty civil to you. You've been nothing but abusive to me. I'm not playing the martyr; I'm just curious as to why.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
How many times do I have to tell you that I do not think rabbits are evolved from trilobites, ...
Stop whining. You brought up trilobites, not I. So what does the existence or non-existence of trilobites have to do with the existence or non existence of rabbits?

Stop whining. You brought up trilobites, not I. So what does the existence or non-existence of trilobites have to do with the existence or non existence of rabbits?

I brought them for one reason, and one reason only: to demonstrate that living organisms change over time. There were organisms in the past which no longer exist. There are organisms which exist now that did not exist in the past.

You're the one who seems to have assumed from the very beginning that I was claiming rabbits evolved from trilobites (a claim that would be mentally retarded, if I'd ever made it). I've explained to you several times that I have never made that claim. Yet you keep asking me if I think it's true.

Pointing that out hardly amounts to "whining."

Change from what to what?

Change from the types of organisms living in, say, the Permian, to organisms that live in the Cenozoic. I don't have to provide additional evidence that there has been a change from the kinds of organisms extant in the Permian to the kinds of organisms extant today, in the Cenozoic, do I? Do I need to make a list?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Change from the types of organisms living in, say, the Permian, to organisms that live in the Cenozoic.
Drop the extraneous crap. You've posited only two changes of which I'm aware: 1) trilobite extinction, and 2) the advent of rabbits. Now, again: change from what to what?