• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Envy and Jealousy

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Are jealousy and envy constructive emotions, or are they generally destructive emotions? Can you explain your views and give some examples from your own observations?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I think they can be both. Random or small pangs of jealousy or envy on in an irregular basis can motivate you, cause you to look at yourself etc. It is obviously destructive if its constant and you allow it to control you.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'll second what dgirl1986 said.
icon14.gif

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Are jealousy and envy constructive emotions, or are they generally destructive emotions? Can you explain your views and give some examples from your own observations?
Jealousy has been destructive to me in past experiences and I hope to never let myself feel that emotion again....I've never really been envious about others or their possessions.
A Past relationship gave me reason to learn "jealous emotions" these started with good reasons, but caused me to be emotionally and physically ill when I could no longer control it. That is in the past and I have learned from previous experience and have overcome and learned to control those emotions....:D

Kerr

In my experience they are destructive. I had those issues with my ex and it really hurt our relationship.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I think they can be both. Random or small pangs of jealousy or envy on in an irregular basis can motivate you, cause you to look at yourself etc. It is obviously destructive if its constant and you allow it to control you.

I third this. ;)

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
From my beliefs/experiences/observations they are both constructive and destructive.

Some examples:

If you envy the top student in your class in a way that you want to be better than him/her then you begin studying harder and thus your envy leads to a positive outcome for you.

If you envy someone who has more wealth than you and a better job than you and you begin to wish bad things for the person and hate him/her then this is a destructive example/case.

Hope it makes sense.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
In my experience, I would say that they are generally destructive emotions. Destructive on different levels.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Envy and jealousy are different.

Jealousy is wanting what the other person has. Like a child who wants his brother's toy truck. I'd consider it destructive because it doesn't necessarily matter if by gaining said truck, his brother loses it.

Envy I consider to be constructive. This is the child striving to reach the top drawer because her older brother can.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
From Conversations with God, by Neale Donald Walsch:

“Envy is a natural emotion urging you to strive to be more. It is the two-year-old child yearning and urging herself to reach that doorknob which her brother can reach. There is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with envy. It is a motivator. It is pure desire. It gives birth to greatness.

Jealousy, on the other hand, is a fear-driven emotion making one willing for the other to have less. It is an emotion often based in bitterness. It proceeds from anger and leads to anger. And it kills. Jealousy can kill. Anyone who’s been in a jealous triangle knows that.

Jealousy kills, envy gives birth.”