• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Energy Vampires?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings!

Hope you are all well!

How many of you have heard the expression "energy vampires"?

I was totally in-the-dark until I read it at a recent site. can't remember where exactly.

Anyway I plugged the phrase into the world's favourite search-engine and found this article -

Have you ever had the experience of having the life sucked out of you by spending time with a particular person?

I’m talking about feeling exhausted, bored, irritated, stressed, anxious, threatened, overwhelmed or depressed after just a few moments in that person’s company.

There may have been times where you felt guilty for having negative thoughts about that person — which made you feel even worse. You may even have thought there was something wrong with you, such as feeling a headache coming on or stressing over a work deadline. Either way, you didn’t understand why you felt so out of sorts.

For the full article click below.

How to Avoid Being Drained by Energy Vampires

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Yup...
Also known as 'drainers', 'energy suckers', etc.

How do you handle them?

Or do you just limit your exposure. It is hard when you are related to them! :)

I try to have compassion after all that is not a very satisfying way to go through your time on this planet.

Cheers!

amorphous_constellation

Oh sure, I think so. Friends, family, or coworkers, take your pick. People are just the bane of my life sometimes, that's why I like watching all these bushcraft / nomad lifestyle videos

The energy sucking thing can come in a few forms. A lot of times it's happening when someone is displaying how jealous and judgemental they are, or expressing how many general complaints they have. Telling you they're tired and sick of their jobs to punctuate every conversation. It's like, fix your stupid problems. Eat better. You don't like commuting across two counties? Move. You're complaining to me, but you're obviously not maximizing the possible energy you could have. I know I don't always do so myself, but I don't stand here whining all the time.

It's like, am I here to share some kind joy with you, or am I just some shoulder you think you can lean on all the time.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
New age woo, please disregard. :D

Look, I'm into the occult and I still think it's goofy. It's just the chi-master/kundalini/reiki master woo gone goth.
Nope. The article defines such people as emotionally immature people who think the entire world revolves around them.

The only thing I can think to do is to avoid their company as much as possible.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Greetings!

Hope you are all well!

How many of you have heard the expression "energy vampires"?

I was totally in-the-dark until I read it at a recent site. can't remember where exactly.

Anyway I plugged the phrase into the world's favourite search-engine and found this article -

Have you ever had the experience of having the life sucked out of you by spending time with a particular person?

I’m talking about feeling exhausted, bored, irritated, stressed, anxious, threatened, overwhelmed or depressed after just a few moments in that person’s company.

There may have been times where you felt guilty for having negative thoughts about that person — which made you feel even worse. You may even have thought there was something wrong with you, such as feeling a headache coming on or stressing over a work deadline. Either way, you didn’t understand why you felt so out of sorts.

For the full article click below.

How to Avoid Being Drained by Energy Vampires

All the best!

No actual energy is being sucked. ;)

iu

Best to learn how to not let other people affect you emotionally when you don't want them to.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Nope. The article defines such people as emotionally immature people who think the entire world revolves around them.

The only thing I can think to do is to avoid their company as much as possible.

I just think if the purpose of your existence is to be an "energy parasite" you got a problem. Anyway, if you want to see an energy vampire in action there is a show called "What We Do In the Shadows" on Hulu, and it's hilarious. The energy vampire on the show spends his life making people miserable so he can feed on their energy, lol.

exchemist

Veteran Member
What strikes me as missing in all this is any decent attempt to characterise these so-called "energy vampires". What recognisable attributes and behaviours do they exhibit? All we have is a rather "knowing" article that assumes the reader has come across them and already knows what they are.

How is an "energy vampire" different from someone who is just tiresome, or who is exhausting company?

In short, does this term have any actual utility, or is it just more transatlantic pyschobabble?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you handle them?

Or do you just limit your exposure. It is hard when you are related to them! :)

I try to have compassion after all that is not a very satisfying way to go through your time on this planet.

Cheers!

I limit my investment.
So...as you rightly say...it can be hard to limit exposure when they're family or work colleagues.
But I have friends who are very much not energy suckers, whereas that may not have always been the case when I was younger.

For those I need to be around, I have got better at not investing. Letting their negativity wash off me. I would have struggled with that more when I was young, but I guess an increasingly confident view of my own strengths and weaknesses helps.

But...ya know...there's no perfect answer.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I limit my investment.
So...as you rightly say...it can be hard to limit exposure when they're family or work colleagues.
But I have friends who are very much not energy suckers, whereas that may not have always been the case when I was younger.

For those I need to be around, I have got better at not investing. Letting their negativity wash off me. I would have struggled with that more when I was young, but I guess an increasingly confident view of my own strengths and weaknesses helps.

But...ya know...there's no perfect answer.

True enough - I suppose the perfect "answer" might be to recognise that their attitude is a frustrating way of living and try not to let it bring out your own negativity ....

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
No actual energy is being sucked. ;)

iu

Best to learn how to not let other people affect you emotionally when you don't want them to.

I do my best not to react negatively but i am still very much a work-in-progress so I don't always keep my serenity :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
True enough - I suppose the perfect "answer" might be to recognise that their attitude is a frustrating way of living and try not to let it bring out your own negativity ....

Cheers!

If you look hard enough, you can generally see the manner in which their approach is not only sucking energy from those around them, but also their own life. That's usually enough of a reminder that a certain amount of optimism and positivity is healthy.