• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elisha

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
You speak like a Christian so I know you are a Christian. And I providing me with my Scriptures will be more effective, as your own are proof of nothing.

All of this is a non-answer. Nothing here directly responds to the points I've made.

Please provide and example from Scriptures of G-d not admonishing or punishing a prophet for a wrongdoing, or a prophet not recognizing his own error.

Undoubthedly.
No one dies who does not deserve death. The Rock, his actions are perfect because all his ways are justice. (DEut. 32:4)
Prophecy ended during the Second Temple. Although some Rabbis did predict the coming doom.

None of this has any connection to anything.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

More Christian preaching.

That's not what it says. It says Israel was cut off from the land of the living for your account.

I speak like a Christian.. Understood.

It's a hard thing to find a prophet who would acknowledge his own mistakes, write about them, and say he didn't repent. You say the Christian scriptures would not be proof for you, and I understood that from the beginning. What you haven't understood is how I've internalized and interpreted what you do consider proof. You haven't understood the enormous bias that comes from writing autobiographies, which is what Judaism taught to Christianity.

After Moses had gone up to the mountaintop to receive the commands from God's mouth, he ordered the "deserving death" of 3000 of Abraham's sons. Aaron, the High Priest, according to the desires of his brothers, led at least 3000 men into idolatry, but did not follow into their "deserving death".

Abraham is himself a father to an entire nation of people who question God's righteousness, as if they can cause God to conform to their beliefs. I'm sure you're aware of this practice being common among Jews. Moses' command that God repent of the evil spoken against the Israelites is one of several examples. Several of the major prophets question God in an authoritative manner. Job. Solomon. David. Elijah. Moses. Habakkuk. etc.. It's human nature to question reality.. But as I said, ignorance and mercy are temporary.

What is the basis of this idea that prophecy stopped?

All of Adam's sons die, deserving of their father's inheritance. So, when Elijah had called to God rebuking the death of the widow's child- how was he brought back to life?

Job 9 and Psalm 109 don't require me to say anything. They're straightforward.

It's really simple to come dismissing me as a Christian, though I gave you nothing but your approved text and history.. I have not dismissed anything you've said or accepted, only understood and entertained. Those who seek the Most High will find him? And yet, you're looking to prevent me according to blood? And vague titles? I have known the glory of God, and of kings. I've proven both to you, by studying the glory of your kings and prophets. The glory of God is in my blood even as it is in Israel's, and you haven't understood.

If Israel was cut off from the land of the living for my account, then I am the seed of Israel, according to the labor of Israel's soul- not bloodright.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I speak like a Christian.. Understood.

It's a hard thing to find a prophet who would acknowledge his own mistakes, write about them, and say he didn't repent. You say the Christian scriptures would not be proof for you, and I understood that from the beginning. What you haven't understood is how I've internalized and interpreted what you do consider proof. You haven't understood the enormous bias that comes from writing autobiographies, which is what Judaism taught to Christianity.

Autobiographies says you. For me, they are books that are written with the Spirit of prophecy.

After Moses had gone up to the mountaintop to receive the commands from God's mouth, he ordered the "deserving death" of 3000 of Abraham's sons. Aaron, the High Priest, according to the desires of his brothers, led at least 3000 men into idolatry, but did not follow into their "deserving death".

That is half the story. Judaism offers a different picture of events. For us, the Oral Torah is as relevant as the Written one and only through the study of both can the true story be determined.

Abraham is himself a father to an entire nation of people who question God's righteousness, as if they can cause God to conform to their beliefs. I'm sure you're aware of this practice being common among Jews. Moses' command that God repent of the evil spoken against the Israelites is one of several examples. Several of the major prophets question God in an authoritative manner. Job. Solomon. David. Elijah. Moses. Habakkuk. etc.. It's human nature to question reality.. But as I said, ignorance and mercy are temporary.

It is my understanding that in every instance where someone has questioned G-d in Scriptures he was punished. Sometimes immediately.

What is the basis of this idea that prophecy stopped?

The Oral Torah.

All of Adam's sons die, deserving of their father's inheritance. So, when Elijah had called to God rebuking the death of the widow's child- how was he brought back to life?

First of all Elijah himself did not die. He ascended to heaven alive in a chariot of fire.
Second of all, Elijah does not rebuke G-d. He is asking G-d is bemoaning his lot of suffering that is so great that not only is he forced to wander, but even those that come in his proximity end up suffering. That is why he has to point out that he is living by her.

Job 9 and Psalm 109 don't require me to say anything. They're straightforward.

They are straightforward. Your usage of them wasn't.

It's really simple to come dismissing me as a Christian,

Correct.

though I gave you nothing but your approved text and history.. I have not dismissed anything you've said or accepted, only understood and entertained. Those who seek the Most High will find him? And yet, you're looking to prevent me according to blood? And vague titles? I have known the glory of God, and of kings. I've proven both to you, by studying the glory of your kings and prophets. The glory of God is in my blood even as it is in Israel's, and you haven't understood.

No, you have given me your Christian interpretation of my texts. Even in this paragraph I have trouble parsing the language that you are using. I'm "looking to prevent you according to blood". I have no idea what that means. "Vague titles? I have known the ..." These statements are either disjointed or you are making references to thing some type of Christian ideology that makes these statements difficult to understand.

"The glory of God is in my blood even as it is in Israel's, and you haven't understood". I can see you as either one of those passionate Black Christian Evangelist Preachers at the podium sweating with holy proclamation. Or you right scripts for movies. This is not how normal people converse.

If Israel was cut off from the land of the living for my account, then I am the seed of Israel, according to the labor of Israel's soul- not bloodright.

This is not logical in context.

Sleeppy

Elijah very clearly attributes an "evil" action to God, referring to the death of the widow's son. He questions the validity of the act itself, but continues to pray for it to be undone. This is really not uncommon.

Some might say the same of Enoch, or some of the other prophets.. But, these men did die. Elijah's spirit ascended, as it had descended (both on himself, and on Elisha). But, Elijah's body is dead. Elisha likewise is not present where they buried him.

This is why Elisha cleverly says "God lives, and your soul lives, if I leave you," each time Elijah attempts to leave him behind. Elisha's concern is the life of Elijah's soul. And as evidenced by the request to receive a double portion of Elijah's spirit, after he is "taken", Elisha was referring to the life of his body.

Sleeppy

Autobiographies says you. For me, they are books that are written with the Spirit of prophecy.

Not all of your books are considered prophecy, or have been validated, but all of them are considered to be written by men.

That is half the story. Judaism offers a different picture of events. For us, the Oral Torah is as relevant as the Written one and only through the study of both can the true story be determined.

Not all Jews use(d) what you call the Oral Torah.

It is my understanding that in every instance where someone has questioned G-d in Scriptures he was punished. Sometimes immediately.

Sometimes. Sometimes, not.

No, you have given me your Christian interpretation of my texts. Even in this paragraph I have trouble parsing the language that you are using. I'm "looking to prevent you according to blood". I have no idea what that means. "Vague titles? I have known the ..." These statements are either disjointed or you are making references to thing some type of Christian ideology that makes these statements difficult to understand.

You don't understand what Christianity is; how could you identify it? I haven't been using any particular language beyond simple English.

"The glory of God is in my blood even as it is in Israel's, and you haven't understood". I can see you as either one of those passionate Black Christian Evangelist Preachers at the podium sweating with holy proclamation. Or you right scripts for movies. This is not how normal people converse.

"Blood" is straightforward English term, which in this case directly refers to your claim; unless you are an Israelite, God is not glorified, and you are not righteous. You unknowingly commit blasphemy.

This is not logical in context.

The logic should be your own. You say Israel has been cut off for my account. The context says that those being interceded for are seed, according to guilt.

Did you have an alternative contextual logic?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Elijah very clearly attributes an "evil" action to God, referring to the death of the widow's son. He questions the validity of the act itself, but continues to pray for it to be undone. This is really not uncommon.

Some might say the same of Enoch, or some of the other prophets.. But, these men did die. Elijah's spirit ascended, as it had descended (both on himself, and on Elisha). But, Elijah's body is dead. Elisha likewise is not present where they buried him.

This is why Elisha cleverly says "God lives, and your soul lives, if I leave you," each time Elijah attempts to leave him behind. Elisha's concern is the life of Elijah's soul. And as evidenced by the request to receive a double portion of Elijah's spirit, after he is "taken", Elisha was referring to the life of his body.

Please provide the verse that speaks about Elijah dying. Alternatively, please provide the verse that speaks about someone dying by being brought up to heaven on a chariot of fire.

The words "CHaY NaFSHeCHa" although literally translates to "life of your soul", is is a phrase that means "on your life". It has no inherent reference to a persons death. 70 "Nefesh" went down to Egypt. Meaning 70 people. It's just the vernacular of the times.

Not all of your books are considered prophecy, or have been validated, but all of them are considered to be written by men.

Likewise.
However, mine are right, while yours are wrong.

Not all Jews use(d) what you call the Oral Torah.

Much to their loss.

Sometimes. Sometimes, not.

Well proven.

You don't understand what Christianity is; how could you identify it? I haven't been using any particular language beyond simple English.

Then how did you think I immediately identified you as a Christian? Do you really not realize how apparent it is?

"Blood" is straightforward English term, which in this case directly refers to your claim; unless you are an Israelite, God is not glorified, and you are not righteous. You unknowingly commit blasphemy.

"Blood" is rarely used as a term. It is the word used to refer to the red liquid that courses through our bodies. If you mean it as a term, you need to express that will relevant context.
I am an Israelite.
The whole earth is full of His Glory (Isa. 6:3)
And the verse already testifies to my righteousness. You have your own testimony. I'll take Isaiah, thanks.

The logic should be your own. You say Israel has been cut off for my account. The context says that those being interceded for are seed, according to guilt.

Did you have an alternative contextual logic?

Yes.
The nation of Israel was cut off from the Land of the Living. This is the Land of Israel that we were exiled from. Psalms 116:9 "I will be walked before G-d in the Lands of the Living".

There is no where in the context where it says that those that are interceded for are seed.

The verse does say, If Israel will offer itself in restitution, than Israel will see seed and have long days. Meaning the nation will persevere. This verse was fulfilled many, many, many times throughout history when Israel willingly gave up their lives rather than be forcibly converted. And yet we are still here today.

Sleeppy

Please provide the verse that speaks about Elijah dying. Alternatively, please provide the verse that speaks about someone dying by being brought up to heaven on a chariot of fire.

The words "CHaY NaFSHeCHa" although literally translates to "life of your soul", is is a phrase that means "on your life". It has no inherent reference to a persons death. 70 "Nefesh" went down to Egypt. Meaning 70 people. It's just the vernacular of the times.

Likewise.
However, mine are right, while yours are wrong.

Much to their loss.

Well proven.

Then how did you think I immediately identified you as a Christian? Do you really not realize how apparent it is?

"Blood" is rarely used as a term. It is the word used to refer to the red liquid that courses through our bodies. If you mean it as a term, you need to express that will relevant context.
I am an Israelite.
The whole earth is full of His Glory (Isa. 6:3)
And the verse already testifies to my righteousness. You have your own testimony. I'll take Isaiah, thanks.

Yes.
The nation of Israel was cut off from the Land of the Living. This is the Land of Israel that we were exiled from. Psalms 116:9 "I will be walked before G-d in the Lands of the Living".

There is no where in the context where it says that those that are interceded for are seed.

The verse does say, If Israel will offer itself in restitution, than Israel will see seed and have long days. Meaning the nation will persevere. This verse was fulfilled many, many, many times throughout history when Israel willingly gave up their lives rather than be forcibly converted. And yet we are still here today.

Watch closely. Either way; whatever we may think we know- the truth is God, and His work is creation. He wills what He wills.