• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elijah

Redemptionsong

no, just making it for the simple minded.

we suggest you read my post to YoursTruly here, JESUS, God, the Ordinal First and Last

Both in the Echad, do you need the Layman's view?

101G
Yes, let's talk in layman's language. It was good enough for Jesus, and should be good enough for us.

John 1:14. 'And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.'

John 3:6. 'That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.'

Luke 1:31. 'And behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and being forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.'

Mary 'conceived', and she gave birth to a 'flesh and blood' son, who lived for 30 years under the law. Mary's blood line is, therefore, necessary in determining Jesus' legitimacy to the throne in Judah. Without this blood line, Jesus has no right to be called the Jewish Messiah.

Elihoenai

Jesus taught self-control not self-denial. If by mortifying you mean self-control then yes, that's fine. If mortifying by "fasting" means controlling a healthy diet as opposed to gluttony, then fine! Anorexia and Bulimia are a self-centered, self-obsessed form of behavior or fasting.

The liberating religion of Jesus was self-forgetting and the serving of others.
Matthew 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

What you are teaching in those paragraphs are the Real Teachings of the Universal Roman Catholic Church that have been taught for thousands of years, Therefore, you, @cOLTER, are a member of the Universal Roman Catholic Church whether or not you realise this.

You have Temporal/Worldly teachings of Moderation as opposed to Giving things up. The Mantra of the Universal Church for thousands of years is Love and Services to Others Embodied in Mother Teresa. Yet, despite Mother Teresa and the 2.2 Billion Christians practising Love and Sacrifice/Service to Others, there are Not Really Saved.

Do you believe that Man is a Filthy Sinning Child of the Devil/Satan that has Greatly Fallen from what Elohim/God intended and Must be Saved from their current Condition?

Gnosticism

"...Gnostics considered material existence flawed or evil, and held the principal element of salvation to be direct knowledge of the hidden divinity, attained via mystical or esoteric insight...."

Gnosticism, the Enduring Heresy

Colt

Matthew 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

What you are teaching in those paragraphs are the Real Teachings of the Universal Roman Catholic Church that have been taught for thousands of years, Therefore, you, @cOLTER, are a member of the Universal Roman Catholic Church whether or not you realise this.

You have Temporal/Worldly teachings of Moderation as opposed to Giving things up. The Mantra of the Universal Church for thousands of years is Love and Services to Others Embodied in Mother Teresa. Yet, despite Mother Teresa and the 2.2 Billion Christians practising Love and Sacrifice/Service to Others, there are Not Really Saved.

Do you believe that Man is a Filthy Sinning Child of the Devil/Satan that has Greatly Fallen from what Elohim/God intended and Must be Saved from their current Condition?

Gnosticism

"...Gnostics considered material existence flawed or evil, and held the principal element of salvation to be direct knowledge of the hidden divinity, attained via mystical or esoteric insight...."

Gnosticism, the Enduring Heresy
No, I believe that I am a child of God as taught by Jesus. Satan defeated, taken away and was never a God of this world.
Religion taught you to think that you are garbage. My theology informs me that I am a child of a Loving God.

Exchanging our will for Gods will is "giving things up".

Last edited:

101G

Well, ‘tis been quite awhile since Malachi…
it been a quite awhile since that Lord's Day too.
Probably that it ain’t gonna happen(?)
that Lord's day has come and gone
Somewhat more seriously, this short passage is composed of the types of phrases that were virtually ubiquitous among the Hebrew prophets. I think that the frequency of these certain types of phrasal inclusions suggest that they serve a rhetorical, rather than an indicative function; that rather than indicating a actual event to take place, they were rhetorical devices employed to impart a jussive sense to the suggestion to which they are syntactically joined. When a prophet mentions “the great and awesome day of the Lord” or a coming the prophet Elijah, I think that he does so only to render imperative whatever language adjoins such phrases. Here, the full statement is that, “I will send you Elijah the prophet before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes. And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers…”. In so saying, the prophet wishes to suggest that a lative relationship between fathers (or parents) and their children within Israel should be considered crucial, rather than of minor import or simply optional. This amounts to using a rhetorical, as opposed to a grammatical device in order to create an imperative mood. As such, I don’t think that the author (prophet Malachi (?)) intended to indicate any certain coming of Elijah, or indeed of the day of the Lord, at all.
Isaiah 40:2 "Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins." Isaiah 40:3 "The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God." for "our" God? let's see. Isaiah 35:4 "Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you."
ok, now read the next few verses and see who it is that came with ..... vengeance .... (on Sin). that's many mistake right there.

101G.

101G

Mary 'conceived',
first ERROR of the DAY, read the verse again,
Luke 1:31. 'And behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and being forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.'
conceive HOW? by a MAN? ..... NO. conception occur with sperm and egg. did that happen? no, Listen and Learn, Matthew 1:20 "But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost." conceived in her and NOT "by" her. now before you answer, you better think long and hard as the book of Job said, Job 1:22 "In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly." because if you foolishly charge God A. with adultery, and or B. having sperm. you better think long and Hard. now 101G don't want you to be in that pickle, you better read, Luke 1:34 & 35 and find out what "overshadow" fully means.

101G

Zwing

it been a quite awhile since that Lord's Day too.

that Lord's day has come and gone

Isaiah 40:2 "Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins." Isaiah 40:3 "The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God." for "our" God? let's see. Isaiah 35:4 "Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you."
ok, now read the next few verses and see who it is that came with ..... vengeance .... (on Sin). that's many mistake right there.

101G.
Fairy tales.

101G

The comparison of John the Baptist and Elijah

The Prophet John the Baptist parallels the Prophet Elijah. What is a parallel? a person or thing that is similar or analogous to another.

What is analogous? comparable in certain respects, typically in a way that makes clearer the nature of the things compared. it is synonyms with, comparable, parallel, similar, and equivalent

#1. Both are Prophets.

#2. Both had the similar dress.

#3. Both confronted kings of their day.

#4. Both were preachers to the nations

#5. Both have water connections as did the Lord Jesus and Moses.

#6. Both Rebuke Israel for Corruption in Their Religion.

#7. They Both Were Victims of Evil Women.

#8. both preached REPENTANCE

and there are other parallels.

101G.

DNB

Christian
Addressing the OP only, Elijah has already come..... supportive scripture, The transfiguration of Christ, read Matthews chapter 17. this is where Moses and Elijah "appeared" unto our Lord Jesus the Christ. and coming down from the Mountain, the Lord Jesus disciples asked him a question, LISTEN CAREFULLY. Matthew 17:10 "And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come?" Matthew 17:11 "And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things." Matthew 17:12 "But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them." Matthew 17:13 "Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist."

John the Baptist is the Elijah, who has already come. he, John, is one of the two witness mention in Revelation 11.

now, listen to the Lord Jesus WHO CANNOT LIE, his testimony of John. supportive scripture, Matthew 11:7 "And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind?" Matthew 11:8 "But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings' houses." Matthew 11:9 "But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet." Matthew 11:10 "For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee." Matthew 11:11 "Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he." Matthew 11:12 "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force." Matthew 11:13 "For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John." Matthew 11:14 "And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come." Matthew 11:15 "He that hath ears to hear, let him hear."

this is why his disciple understood, in Matthews 17, coming down from the mountain, that this Elias/Elijah is John the Baptist.

now, let's see it plainly. The conception of John the Baptist. Luke 1:5 "There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth." Luke 1:6 "And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless." Luke 1:7 "And they had no child, because that Elisabeth was barren, and they both were now well stricken in years." Luke 1:8 "And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course," Luke 1:9 "According to the custom of the priest's office, his lot was to burn incense when he went into the temple of the Lord." Luke 1:10 "And the whole multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense." Luke 1:11 "And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense." Luke 1:12 "And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him." Luke 1:13 "But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John." Luke 1:14 "And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth." Luke 1:15 "For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb." Luke 1:16 "And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God." Luke 1:17 "And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord." (READ THAT VERSE AGAIN). Luke 1:18 "And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years." Luke 1:19 "And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings."

John the Baptist was in the spirit and power of Elias WHICH WAS TO COME. so if anyone is still waiting for the flesh and blood man, the prophet Elijah, you will be waiting a very long time. HE HAS ALREADY COME. as the Lord Jesus said, "He that hath ears to hear, let him hear."

the Lord Jesus, God himself told us and his angel Gabriel has told us that Elijah has already come in spirit and power.

101G.
Excellent work!

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Jews traditionally under that verse as saying that it will be Eliyahu himself who will return. This is attested by hundreds if not thousands of later sources. That said, I think I once saw a more modern Jewish interpretation that it will be a different prophet with the same name.
Same name as Eliyahu?

Zwing

in the name of the Lord Jesus, Thanks, and you be blessed.

101G.
I would like to apologize for referring to your scriptures as “fairy tales” earlier. That was unkind, as well as hyperbolic. For the record, I was, at the time, a bit piqued by my discourse in another thread. In any case, I beg your pardon.

101G

I would like to apologize for referring to your scriptures as “fairy tales” earlier. That was unkind, as well as hyperbolic. For the record, I was, at the time, a bit piqued by my discourse in another thread. In any case, I beg your pardon.
sure, but none is needed, I took it as no offence. so thanks in the Name of the Lord Jesus and you be blessed

101G.

Redemptionsong

conceive HOW? by a MAN? ..... NO. conception occur with sperm and egg. did that happen? no, Listen and Learn, Matthew 1:20 "But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost." conceived in her and NOT "by" her. now before you answer, you better think long and hard as the book of Job said, Job 1:22 "In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly." because if you foolishly charge God A. with adultery, and or B. having sperm. you better think long and Hard. now 101G don't want you to be in that pickle, you better read, Luke 1:34 & 35 and find out what "overshadow" fully means.

101G
No one is suggesting that God needs to create sperm to bring about the conception in Mary. The Holy Spirit brings about the conception in Mary by a miracle. This means that the ovum in Mary is given the life of God. This is what is meant by the words 'that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost'.

Your belief that Mary's blood line is not involved is a gross heresy. It means that Jesus has no human DNA. Without human DNA, Jesus is not made of flesh, and cannot be the 'Lamb of God'. It means that Jesus does not suffer as human beings suffer, or feel tired. Yet we know that Jesus aged, and that he shared our condition.

Once again, it's quite apparent that you do not believe in the fundamental and orthodox position held by Christians, namely, that Jesus Christ was fully human and fully God.

Redemptionsong

101G
And here we have the verse that proves you to be the one in error!

Romans 1:3. 'Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;'

So, Jesus was flesh born of flesh, and the 'seed of David according to the flesh'. This means that he had to have had a genealogy that proves his blood line runs from Mary to David, which is the blood line shown us by Luke.

Let's hope you have the humility to admit your error!