• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Electric car (tyres) major pollution risk

JIMMY12345

"Alastair Lewis, a professor of atmospheric chemistry at the University of York, argued that particulate matter emitted from electric car tyres is a massive risk to public health. He argued that it posed a larger problem than CO2 emissions coming from petrol and diesel cars."

Scientists among us..is this true? Why did he pick on electrical cars

Altfish

Veteran Member
"Alastair Lewis, a professor of atmospheric chemistry at the University of York, argued that particulate matter emitted from electric car tyres is a massive risk to public health. He argued that it posed a larger problem than CO2 emissions coming from petrol and diesel cars."

Do electric cars have different tyres? Never heard that before.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Don't gasoline cars have tyres er tires too?
Likely a deal to offset the loss in gas tax.

Also why not work to make the chemical makeup of tires less toxic?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I would think the batteries are the greater problem and issue.

Think of mountains and mountains of scrapped chemically toxic car batteries. Better still, when they are on fire. Oh joy.

Bathos Logos

I don't think that electric cars' tires have any different makeup than gasoline cars' tires.

So that would make this statement sort of a "Well, tires are even worse, so even if we get rid of gasoline-powered-car emissions, we'll still have that problem." Which is sort of ridiculous, because what you're really advocating for, at that point, is that we just move ahead continuing to suffer both problems.

Of course, this isn't to say that emissions aren't still in the equation for electric car, since I doubt all the energy to run them comes from "green" resources all the time (wind/tidal/solar power). But yeah - I have no idea what rationale he has for calling out electric cars' tires as being some problem, except to tacitly insinuate that gasoline cars' don't have this problem - which would be a lie if stated directly.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
My dad's Tesla tyre cost $450 for one, so its obviously not a normal car tyre

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Being the owner of one electric car and 2 with reciprocating engines, yes the tyres are different, those for electric cars are designed to take the extra weight and instant torque.

As to particulate matter. I really don't know, maybe the better, stronger construction can reduce it compared to normal tyres. Or maybe the extra stress causes more, i really don't know.

I do know that over their lifetime electric cars produce between 35% and 85%* less pollution than conventional cars.

So a bit extra wear on the tyres is not worth mentioning. Methinks professor lewis is failing to make a name for himself by barking up the wrong tree

* Depending where the components (mainly batteries) are manufactured and in what country they are driven taking into account the type of electricity generation.

JIMMY12345

Being the owner of one electric car and 2 with reciprocating engines, yes the tyres are different, those for electric cars are designed to take the extra weight and instant torque.

As to particulate matter. I really don't know, maybe the better, stronger construction can reduce it compared to normal tyres. Or maybe the extra stress causes more, i really don't know.

I do know that over their lifetime electric cars produce between 35% and 85%* less pollution than conventional cars.

So a bit extra wear on the tyres is not worth mentioning. Methinks professor lewis is failing to make a name for himself by barking up the wrong tree

* Depending where the components (mainly batteries) are manufactured and in what country they are driven taking into account the type of electricity generation.
Partly my fault for not posting more of the article.
You are all right. Electric is the future. We still need to cut down on pollution even we get to 100% electric car usage. He was in advance of his time in saying the pollution caused by all car tyres causes PM particulates which is worse than CO2.His point is taxes will have to be geared to this threat to the planet in the future. He is actually right.We can never be complacent. God bless chemists. Also cars get bigger in size as does tyres.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would think the batteries are the greater problem and issue.

Think of mountains and mountains of scrapped chemically toxic car batteries. Better still, when they are on fire. Oh joy.
Lead acid batteries are highly recycled because
when you buy a new one, you get money for the
old one.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Tyre (in modern-day Lebanon) is one of the oldest cities in the world, dating back over 4,000 years, during which it has been inhabited almost continuously. It was one of the most important, and at times the dominant, city of Phoenicia, whose citizens claimed it had been founded by the great god Melqart..........Why does @ChristineM talk so funny? Aha.....Jimmy started it.....Jimmy,Jimmy Jimmy @Jimmy 12345

Last edited: