• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

El Paso Texas today active shooter Walmart - 18 reportedly shot- (news video & print article)

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Bondi-Feature.jpg

Australia Enjoys Another Peaceful Day Under Oppressive Gun Control Regime

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not surprising down there . Right at the border of Mexico.

I'm sure the media will be all over it glorifying the whole thing and plastering this loser's name nationally.

Kangaroo Feathers

in fairness, we DID have a mass shooting 61 days ago, 4 people killed. Before that, the last major mass casualty event involving a firearm was iirc 2014. There was also a domestic murder suicide shooting that killed 7 in 2018

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Bondi-Feature.jpg

Australia Enjoys Another Peaceful Day Under Oppressive Gun Control Regime
Due to the nation’s controversial and oppressive gun restrictions, no one has died as a result of a mass-shooting on Australian soil today, for the 7827th day in a row.
Dreadful
Quite dreadful!
You allow women to show their bodies like that?

God have mercy on you all.

:p

And the US gun incidents will go on........ and on....... average of 85 deaths per day. Heaven knows how many injuries.....

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Australia suffers second worst mass shooting since 1996 .

A couple months ago is a long time. Congratulations to the Aussies.

Second worse mass shooting:-
Four are dead and one is injured in Australia’s second deadliest mass shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.

Although that incident is very sad, if you added up all the shooting deaths in Australia over the past year or two the number would not reach the US toll for a day, I reckon.

Kangaroo Feathers

Second worse mass shooting:-
Four are dead and one is injured in Australia’s second deadliest mass shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.

Although that incident is very sad, if you added up all the shooting deaths in Australia over the past year or two the number would not reach the US toll for a day, I reckon.
Lets check the figures, BRB
gun.JPG

Australia – Total Number of Gun Deaths that's everything, including suicide and accidents

United States – Total Number of Gun Deaths

guns us.JPG

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
in fairness, we DID have a mass shooting 61 days ago, 4 people killed. Before that, the last major mass casualty event involving a firearm was iirc 2014. There was also a domestic murder suicide shooting that killed 7 in 2018
On the side, what do you think of New Zealand's compulsory buy-back of all semi-auto rifles?

Kangaroo Feathers

On the side, what do you think of New Zealand's compulsory buy-back of all semi-auto rifles?
Personally I think it was excessive. I don't believe any weapons system should be completely unobtainable, and that there should be a clear pathway within the regulation to obtain all classes of weapon, within a due cause type framework.

That said, I bet NZed's gun violence rate with automatic or semiautomatic weapons decreases.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Personally I think it was excessive. I don't believe any weapons system should be completely unobtainable, and that there should be a clear pathway within the regulation to obtain all classes of weapon, within a due cause type framework.

That said, I bet NZed's gun violence rate with automatic or semiautomatic weapons decreases.

I wonder whether semi-auto guns can be fitted with mini-magazines so that only 3 shots can be fired?

I'm a bit out of date now, but I think that In the UK we can own a semi-auto shotgun or bolt action gun so long as only three shots can be fired.

Kangaroo Feathers

That looks like 456 gun deaths (all reasons) in two years.

The US will have had about 58,000 in that time.

I just checked that figure again..... twice more.

It's gob-smacking.
My maths makes that about 120 times the number. When their population is roughly ten times the size of ours. Wow.

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

I wonder whether semi-auto guns can be fitted with mini-magazines so that only 3 shots can be fired?
Well sure. They can be. I don't know if the updted NZ law allows for them, though.
I'm a bit out of date now, but I think that In the UK we can own a semi-auto shotgun or bolt action gun so long as only three shots can be fired.
This is what I could find "According to the most recent statistics, there were 1,338,399 shotguns licensed in England and Wales last year, and more than 500,000 firearms of other types also licensed. There were about 582,494 licensed shotgun owners and 153,603 licensed for other firearms, almost all of whom lived in rural areas and who used their guns for sport or to protect their farmland.

Some firearms, shotguns and rifles may be licensed and are held on a firearm or shotgun certificate. Low-powered air weapons are not licensed in England and Wales unless they are of a type declared specially dangerous by the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) Rules 1969 but there are restrictions on their sale. An air weapon is "specially dangerous" if it is capable of discharging a missile with kinetic energy in excess, in the case of an air pistol, of 6 foot lb or, in the case of other air weapons,12 foot lb."
Britain's gun laws: Who can own a firearm?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Well sure. They can be. I don't know if the updted NZ law allows for them, though.
This is what I could find "According to the most recent statistics, there were 1,338,399 shotguns licensed in England and Wales last year, and more than 500,000 firearms of other types also licensed. There were about 582,494 licensed shotgun owners and 153,603 licensed for other firearms, almost all of whom lived in rural areas and who used their guns for sport or to protect their farmland.

Some firearms, shotguns and rifles may be licensed and are held on a firearm or shotgun certificate. Low-powered air weapons are not licensed in England and Wales unless they are of a type declared specially dangerous by the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) Rules 1969 but there are restrictions on their sale. An air weapon is "specially dangerous" if it is capable of discharging a missile with kinetic energy in excess, in the case of an air pistol, of 6 foot lb or, in the case of other air weapons,12 foot lb."
Britain's gun laws: Who can own a firearm?

Cool.. yep....
Our shotgun and airgun ownership is probably going to take a dive soon.
Until recently a list of about 20 bird pests (including the Ibis and ring necked parakeet!) could be shot if a gunner obtained a 'general pest' licence, but recent legislation has redacted that law and licence and now a special licence has to be obtained for each pest species to be culled.

This will probably deter a lot of gunners from bothering to carry on shooting, I reckon. It's illegal now for anybody to shoot any bird without having a special licence.