• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ego Traps to Avoid If You Want To Be Happy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings fellow earthlings!

I hope your time here at the forum has been enjoyable and perhaps even enlightening - you never know ...

Was not sure where to post this thread so if it moves I have no drama or objection!

Here's a taste of the full-article -

If you base your decisions on what others think of you, or expect of you, then you are not really living your own life. You’ll spend all your time and energy trying to please someone else – your friends and coworkers, your parents, your partner or potential partners.

Eventually, you lose sight of what you really want. You lose touch with your inner sense of purpose, your dreams and desires, and the life you truly long for. You wake up one day full of regret, realizing that you’ve wasted years of your life pretending to be someone you’re not.

If you want to be happy, forget what other people think. Let your life be guided by your inner compass, your passions and convictions. Let everything you do be an expression of your unique spirit.

For the rest of the traps just click below -

10 Ego Traps to Avoid If You Want To Be Happy | Zenful Spirit

I suppose I could have posted this to the Zen section :)

Enjoy the rest of your day!

:)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If you base your decisions on what others think of you, or expect of you, then you are not really living your own life. You’ll spend all your time and energy trying to please someone else – your friends and coworkers, your parents, your partner or potential partners.
True

Eventually, you lose sight of what you really want. You lose touch with your inner sense of purpose, your dreams and desires, and the life you truly long for
True

Pleasing others does not work for me.

I rather follow/please God, Love, Truth, Righteousness, Non Violence.

Following these give me Peace

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you base your decisions on what others think of you, or expect of you, then you are not really living your own life.

I know what you mean, and agree that there are situations where trying to please others is harmful to one, but I suspect that that's generally because of who one has chosen to please. If you surround yourself with fair, reasonable, friendly, reliable people not trying to control or exploit you, then you ought to try to meet their expectations, such as being clean, being polite, being on time, etc..

I have a couple of socially awkward acquaintances who have difficulty knowing what others expect of them, and both often offend people inadvertently. One, a bridge partner, is presently in a blood feud with a neighbor because of the undiplomatic way he spoke to that neighbor and is now afraid for his well-being, and the other is pretty much socially isolated now. Their lack of tact and insight, and the inability or unwillingness to try to meet expectations is damaging to both of them.

But your point is taken. There are several habits and proclivities that are apt to leave one frustrated, such as the need to control others, an insatiable desire for wealth, undue suspicion of others, the need to be always right even when wrong, lack of empathy, etc..

Two habits that pretty much mean you won't be in my life are an inability to be on time, or to frequently make then cancel plans. We just don't socialize with such people any longer, and I suspect many others feel the same way.

Last edited: