• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ecumenism?

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
"My effort should never be to undermine another's faith, but to make him [her] a better follower of his [her] own faith.” -- Gandhi.

Do you agree?

BTW, this is my new signature statement.
The best communities support the holistic improvement of each individual, and a well rounded person is the highest attainment any community can achieve. Toward that end we all must labor. To the degree that Gandhi's quote fits this I agree.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Generally no, I don't agree.

Ecumenicalism strikes me as a crappy, prejudicial version of secularism: "let's set aside our differences and focus on what unites us... but let's still exclude those nasty atheists."

I perfectly agree. And in fact ecumenism cannot have a sense unless atheists are included too.
Only if atheists and theists are considered equally valuable to dialogue.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ecumenicalism strikes me as a crappy, prejudicial version of secularism: "let's set aside our differences and focus on what unites us... but let's still exclude those nasty atheists."
Not all of us who favor ecumenism to the degree in the OP exclude atheists and/or agnostics, and that includes Gandhi himself and now myself.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
On RF I usually am.
Since when? :D

Here's what I have posted in the past at times as an example, but this time I'll tailor it towards you: Using objectively-derived evidence, please provide such evidence that Torah is correct and the Bhagavad Gita is not . And I can add, using this same approach, please provide evidence that there's only one god. Now, please note that I am not asking for you opinion, just for the objective evidence.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, so please don't take this personally.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I don't have anything to do with it, myself, as I don't trust the major Abrahamic religions due to their genocidal leanings. Christians destroyed so many indigenous cultures all over the world, why should I, as a polytheist, trust them? As far as I know, the Catholic Church never apologized to polytheists for what they did. As individuals, we can get along. But there's two many general differences and gaping wounds from the past (and into the present) to go much further than that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not all of us who favor ecumenism to the degree in the OP exclude atheists and/or agnostics, and that includes Gandhi himself and now myself.
If we were applying the term "ecumenism" by its strict definition, it would be about unity between Christian churches to the exclusion of anyone else.

I get that the you're talking about something broader, but it seems to me that it's still about cooperation between religious people in some way for the term "ecumenism" to really apply.

If you're using the term to just describe unity or cooperation between all people, then I would wonder why you chose such a baggage-laden term.

pearl

If we were applying the term "ecumenism" by its strict definition, it would be about unity between Christian churches to the exclusion of anyone else.

I think this is true. By referring to an ecumenical effort, in this case, is an interfaith dialogue which is inclusive beyond Christianity.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
"My effort should never be to undermine another's faith, but to make him [her] a better follower of his [her] own faith.” -- Gandhi.

Do you agree?

BTW, this is my new signature statement.
I agree. And it's a wonderful quote, you can't go wrong with that

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Since when? :D

Here's what I have posted in the past at times as an example, but this time I'll tailor it towards you: Using objectively-derived evidence, please provide such evidence that Torah is correct and the Bhagavad Gita is not . And I can add, using this same approach, please provide evidence that there's only one god. Now, please note that I am not asking for you opinion, just for the objective evidence.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, so please don't take this personally.
If you're suggesting that religious people should be open to the possibility that their own scriptures and beliefs might be wrong and other religions' scriptures and beliefs might be right, then this seems to speak as much against devoting onesself to a particular religion as it speaks in favour of treating other religions with respect.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

I get that the you're talking about something broader, but it seems to me that it's still about cooperation between religious people in some way for the term "ecumenism" to really apply.

If you're using the term to just describe unity or cooperation between all people, then I would wonder why you chose such a baggage-laden term.

That is exactly the point. Interfaith dialogue among theists is a given nowadays...
That is why, in order to go further, we need to improve the atheism/theism relations.
In fact, I have never seen a real opening in this sense.
I deeply understand the difficulty for many religions to do that. And I understand the easiness for me, since the Pelagian philosophy does not require "theism" to be good.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Another thought on this: your Gandhi quote spoke to faith specifically; it did exclude the faithless.