• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eastern Lightning: Debating the Persecution and Legality of "Cults" in China

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You can condemn it all you want. But in the end it's going to be their call. Because it's their culture, and their responsibility to change it.
You can say that and do nothing about it.
Do you prefer those like Saddam or Hitler get to conduct genocide without fear of international interference? After all, shouldn't it be on the responsibility of the repressed to take care of it in their own culture?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have heard there is a fear of something like the Taiping rebellion (1850-1864) happening again, as that was another instance where someone in China claimed to be Jesus. (The rebellion killed about 20-30 million people, so I can't blame them).

Not Jesus, but a relative of Jesus, I think.
That's actually a pretty interesting case study for communists, due to the vastly different characterisations of the war by Marx and Mao.

But I have to admit, my knowledge of the war itself is pretty limited. I remember being stunned by its sheer scale when I first read about it, though. It's like the US Civil War, but several times LARGER in magnitude.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There are 1.4 billion Chinese people in China. No government could possibly stand against them if they decided they no longer wished to tolerate it.

The same is true here in the U.S.,. Our government is not God. We do not have to "obey it's wishes". At any time we choose, we can disband it and replace it. All we have to do is decide to do so.

On one level that's true, but it's also true that 'there'd be no wars if everyone refused to fight'.

History suggests there's a bit more to it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That is all your opinion, based on western bias and propaganda. And has nothing to do with the Chinese people's opinion of their government.
It has everything to do with it.

The reason Chinese appear to support it is due to the citizens score they had imposed, forcing compliance from every citizen in what can only be called a true dystopian country. An epicenter of modern day totalitarianism.