• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Easter. What's with all the plastic eggs, chocolate rabbits & such?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
They also recongnize hell as the pagan notion that is it and teach that in services.
..but that isn't true. The only places(in European Pagan faiths) one might be able to call hell in the sense of eternal punishment or jail would be Tartarus & Nastrond. But they aren't jails for humans. Tartarus is where Zeus locked up the Titans.

Nastrond is the lowest portion of Yggdrasil, where Nidhogg gnaws on its roots. The few humans who end up there were not taken there. They're thrown in by those who dwell in Hel they betrayed or murdered.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The True Origin of Easter
God Calls Easter Evil
Now that we know that Easter is the goddess Ashtaroth, we need to look into the Bible and see what God thinks of her. Look at this verse: “And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of theLORD…And they forsook the LORD, and served Baal and Ashtaroth [Easter]” (Jdg. 2:11, 13).

The link is from the New Reformed Chruch of God, not the J.W. Many "reformed" churchs are not recognizing Easter and Christmas
as religious holidays. They also recongnize hell as the pagan notion that is it and teach that in services.

Well, this group quite clearly sucks at research, or at least did an extremely poor job of researching this one, and thus I have no reason to take this linked article seriously.

This is the third time I've had to say that Easter is Her own Goddess! She's not connected with any Semitic Goddess, whether Ashtaroth, Ishtar, or any other!

Easter is the Goddess Easter, and there's squat all in the Tanakh about Easter, because the writers of those books, in all likelyhood, had no idea that the Northern European Tribes even existed, let alone what their Gods were named.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
..but that isn't true. The only places(in European Pagan faiths) one might be able to call hell in the sense of eternal punishment or jail would be Tartarus & Nastrond. But they aren't jails for humans. Tartarus is where Zeus locked up the Titans.

Nastrond is the lowest portion of Yggdrasil, where Nidhogg gnaws on its roots. The few humans who end up there were not taken there. They're thrown in by those who dwell in Hel they betrayed or murdered.

You make a good point. Hel is a pagan belief, has no place in Chrisitanity.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
You make a good point. Hel is a pagan belief, has no place in Chrisitanity.
The relation between Hell & Hel comes from Christianity stealing the word and giving it their own meaning. Hel(the place) is just a peaceful existence, where most will go, which is overseen by Hel, daughter of Loki. Not punishment. Not eternal, either.

Now in the Bible there is the burning garbage-pit of Gehenna, and it is used as comparison for Hell.

The only thing 'pagan' about Hell is that it's derived from a Germanic word. That is where the similarities begin and end.

Scott C.

Just one guy
I thought easter was supposed to be about Jesus?
Where'd the rabbits, chickens, eggs, come from?
Oh, nooooooooooooooooo, don't tell me easter is influenced by a pagan fertility celebration!
Why do Christian churchs decorate with plastic rabbits & eggs, & such?

Easter is about the resurrection of Christ. The Easter bunny and eggs are for fun. While their origins are a little interesting, I don't care much.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Sorry Carlita, but when you don't use the quote feature I don't get an alert.

Hmm. You make some good points. Let me ask, what do you define as paganism? Is it a strict definition, those outside the abrahamic religions?

Just like the simple definition of a "Jew" as opposed to a "gentile" meant anyone who was not part of Jehovah's nation, so "pagan" is by definition, any belief system that has teachings that are outside of Biblical origin.

The Jews were commanded by God not to adopt the beliefs or practices of the surrounding nations. (Deut 18:9-12)
That is not to say that they obeyed him......Christendom too has fallen into the same trap. The majority of their beliefs and practices are not based on the teachings of Jesus, but are introduced doctrines borrowed from paganism, (Or more correctly, non-Christian/non-Jewish sources) a very long time ago.

So its not the painting eggs itself, its the connection with the practice to pagan holidays. Let me ask, your God doesnt care about the ignorance or lack of adherance to pagan beliefa but rather sees the practices and objects in themselves bad? Do they have some type of magic power withoit the person using them for pagan purposes?

Well I guess we have to ask why humans have a propensity to gravitate to pagan beliefs in the first place? If God told his people to remain separate from the ways of the nations in their religious practices, then why do we incorporate them? What is there that we find appealing about them when God tells is not to participate in them?

If I were to offer you a glass of water but I told you that it was a bit poisoned, would you ask how much it was poisoned before you drank it? Or would the fact that it is poisoned at all make you want to throw it away just to be safe?

It is as if I believe the Buddha said dont use the bible in your practice because it is against the Buddhas teachings. Instead of using it for christian purposes, I read it out of interest. If I (example) used it with intent of christian practice and called it a Buddhist teaching, that is wrong.

I think that this can be illustrated by the practice of Yoga. Many people ignore the spiritual aspects of yoga practice whilst concentrating on the physical benefits of the exercise part of it. Just because we ignore the spiritual aspects, doesn't make them go away however. Their origins and aspects mean something, whether we acknowledge them or not. But if we adopted an exercise regime with no spiritual overtones, but that may basically demonstrate similar poses for muscle stretching, that is not compromise, but the practice of Yoga in full knowledge of its spiritual connections is a compromise.

We understand that God observes all that we do (Heb 4:13)....but most of all, he knows our heart and if we are aware that we are adopting pagan practices, he knows it and he was there observing the originals. He doesn't forget...so why should we? All false religious practice is from the devil....the 'wannabe' god of this world. (2 Cor 4:3, 4; 1John 5:19)
Any worship that is rejected by God goes to him by default. He is the one masquerading as other gods.

In other words, how do you hold somone who is 1. Ignorant of what scripture defines as pagan teachings (if they are christian) and 2. Do not use these practices in pagan worship? against God.

It is up to us to investigate these things. I am sure that you will acknowledge that we are in the Information Age, where there is no excuse for any ignorance about any of these things now.

But Paul gave us an example of those who may not have access to such knowledge because of living in less affluent lands. He said.....

"14 For when people of the nations, who do not have law, do by nature the things of the law, these people, although not having law, are a law to themselves. 15 They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them, and by their own thoughts they are being accused or even excused."
(Rom 2:14, 15)

As the reader of hearts, and an examiner of the conscience, God can fairly judge a person who has never heard about the true God or his Christ through circumstances beyond their control.

If I worship Christ I need more than just the Bible, I need the Word.

Christ is the Word (spokesman) of God and he also often referred to the written word as well. So God's word is the measuring stick for all we believe. If it is not in the Bible and Jesus didn't teach it.....it doesn't belong in our belief system.

Christ never once asked to be worshipped. He said it was the Father "alone" that we are to worship. (Luke 4:8.)

Ignorance or not, pagan and any other practice is not just about the practices involved. I can go to a baptist church, worship like them, associate like them, that doesnt make me kin to baptist way of approaching and worshiping Christ. Is it wrong, no. Is it inappropriate, yes.

Once you identify Christendom as the weeds of Jesus' parable, you will never want to darken their doorway again.

When God commanded his people to "get out of" Babylon the great, he said that with urgency. If one is caught in that false religious empire of the devil's making, one will go down with that sinking ship. (Rev 18:1-8)
I cant comment on the devil. The concept that he had something to do with this is, in my opinion, silly.

The devil (or the adversary as the Jews refer to him) is a central character in Biblical teaching. He is the first rebel and it was his rebellion that set off the chain reaction that led man into sin and death. If there is no devil, there is no explanation for anything. His greatest my trick is convincing people that he doesn't exist. He is a con artist of the greatest magnitude.....the most masterful deceiver in history.

In the Revelation that Jesus presented to John, he tells us about the devil's destiny. If Jesus says the devil is real, then I think we can believe him. Who was it that tempted Jesus after his baptism? (Luke 4:1-13)

I can see why celebrations of pagan origin would bother you. If I were a practicing christian, I wouldnt want anything God defines as pagan in my practice. The fact is that its origin (christianity included) of mixed pagan and somewhat jewish with reformed and to some extent via the apostles romanized practices shouldnt deter one from a relationship with Jesus.

As a former Catholic, do you understand that Roman Catholicism has no similarities with first century Christian practice at all?

First of all, there were no "clergy" among the first Christians....no Pope, no priests in fancy robes, no nuns, no monks cloistered away in monasteries, no cathedrals, no hierarchy, no titled positions of power, no adoration of Mary, no icons or images and no hell of eternal torment for the wicked. There was no trinity and no teaching of an immortal soul and no purgatory or limbo either. There was no infant baptism and no mass, no holy water and no confessional. No Easter, no Christmas, no Lent. Are you beginning to see a picture emerge? All of these things were a departure from what Christ taught....yet are still part of Catholicism to this day. Protestantism got rid of the more extreme doctrines but kept the rest.

Christians do not see the paganism in their beliefs but they are the first to point out the paganism in ours.

Actually "Christians" see the paganism quite clearly and have "separated" themselves from it as they were commanded to do. (2 Cor 6:14-18) Christendom on the other hand, (the weeds of Jesus parable) seem oblivious or they just don't want to see the problem, believing that God doesn't care.

Does it matter the origin? No. Unless you are making the origina practice your "belief 'and' practice" it is like playing with the same football a pagan did years ago. Does the object have magical negative energy that renders it a sin to one who touches it or is it how they use it and their belief that is wrong?

if you pick up the football to play the same game on the same date under a different name, then you are fooling yourself of you think God doesn't care. Can you tell me why Christendom never invented her own occasions for celebrating? Why are they ALL pagan in origin? Christmas, Easter, Birthdays, Halloween, Valentines Day, New Years Eve, Mother's Day and most any other thing you can think of....the dates and customs all originated in paganism. None of these things were originally part of a Christian's spiritual life.

Understand what Im saying?

Yes, I understand that everyone is free to believe as they wish. The problem is, we don't have to answer to ourselves for what we accept as truth. We would excuse ourselves if that were the case, but it is God who is our judge and he has given authority to his son to pass sentence on all who "do not know God (because they have no desire to know him) and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus" and about the establishment of God's kingdom as earth's only legitimate ruling body. (2 Thess 1:6-9)

If we want God to grant us everlasting life, then we have to prove that we are the kind of people he would want as citizens in his earthly kingdom. God has no time for disobedience, whining and complaining or those who just want to do their own thing. He has no use for such ones. We are all invited to become citizens of his kingdom, but unless we pass the entry exam, we will be eliminated from the list, permanently. (Matt 7:21-23)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thank you for the thourough reply. Im usually on my smartphone since my lap top broke. So its harder to do quotes. This would be a little scattered.
Well I guess we have to ask why humans have a propensity to gravitate to pagan beliefs in the first place? If God told his people to remain separate from the ways of the nations in their religious practices, then why do we incorporate them? What is there that we find appealing about them when God tells is not to participate in them?
I actually dont know. I assume because paul I think was Roman and Jewish, some of His teachings about thr Church went into christian teachings. If I were to disect christianity, the teachings should be of Christ and His Father not the apostles opinions about how to worship. So differientating what they say about worship and what Christ and His Father says is important. I would also say to keep Jewish practices for Jesus still practiced Judaism. He, as you said, never said for christians to worship Him, true.
If I were to offer you a glass of water but I told you that it was a bit poisoned, would you ask how much it was poisoned before you drank it? Or would the fact that it is poisoned at all make you want to throw it away just to be safe?
The thing is, I dont believenthe water is poisened. Christianity itself has pagan teachings, from Catholicm, lutheran,baptist,pentecostal,prespytarian, and so forth. Communion isnt specific to christianity. Having a savior isnt nust a christian teaching. There is astrology and numerology in scripture. Its ton of non christian "originated" teachings. Yet, people practice it as if it were "fully" the teachings of Christ. Christianity is not original. Just people get hung up over the romanism because it is very distinct in worship. I agree with clergy (not against the bible, just not in it) because like Bishops or how you would name them ik your church, they are people of authority. Its about the role. They arent God. In Catholicism, priest arent God.
Christ never once asked to be worshipped. He said it was the Father "alone" that we are to worship. (Luke 4:8.)
I agree.
As a former Catholic, do you understand that Roman Catholicism has no similarities with first century Christian practice at all?
It has some similarities. I agree with the Church that it doesnt teach sola scriptura. So I understand some of the teachings that are based on the Bible. The only couple of things in the Church I find issues with is the Pope infalibility, Mars sinlessness (which is a recent doctrine), and Paul being the head of thr Church doctrines rather than Peter.

I understand the Eucharist, reverence to Jesus Mother, praying in front of statues, lighting candles, and so forth. I would assume pagans used these thingsnin different ways. I highly assume they did not relate to Christ.
Actually "Christians" see the paganism quite clearly and have "separated" themselves from it as they were commanded to do. (2 Cor 6:14-18) Christendom on the other hand, (the weeds of Jesus parable) seem oblivious or they just don't want to see the problem, believing that God doesn't care.
I actually dont feel any of them do. JW for example, have communion, which is good. What they and many chur hes disagrwe with is that communion is particpating in the passion of Christ. It IS Christ. I can see why transubsatiation by the "priests" is seen negatively, but communion! A lot of religions jewish included have communion, and according to their respective faiths, is not Just food. No one changes wine to grape juice.

Also, all the sacraments of the Church are in scripture. I posted the sacraments and their vereses in another thread.

I see the confliction. No pagan originated football in christian sports. What I dont understand is how you can take out "all" the influences of paganism to go back to Jewish teachings to which Jesus followed.

JW is good with studying scripture. Catholic aside, I just think some practices are missing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In addition, here is what I feel you are not getting.

Say I practice Jesus teachings by participatjng in His life, death, and resurrection.

So, if I had a wife and children, we sit around the table every evening at 7pm. We say, I love you Jesus and thank you for saving me" three times. The head of the home cuts the meat, and we eat food. This is not in the Bible. It is not a denominstional teaching, catholic included. The repition each day is present. All of us say the same prayer as a family. We are One family in Christ.

How is this against scripture? We have made up our own inner way of worshiping Christ. Many people of a lot of faiths do this. Millions have before any of us were born. Do I tell my family, we cannot sit at the table together, prayz and eat at 7pm everyday because pagans do so?. If that be the case, Id have to strip a lot of things from my daily routine and live back in the days of Jesus in the 21st century.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Well, Easter is over and Christmas is still a long way off. Hurrah! Bah humbug! :p

Just make sure not to hoard money so much that you're a rich multi-billionaire who lives like a person barely able to make a living, and deny your workers owed time for their celebrations. :p

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Culture holds influence over how holidays are celebrated, not just religious standing. My family was never religious yet we did stuff for easter.