• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Easily Offended

Heyo

Veteran Member
I haven't seen many users say that a particular line of dialogue is a waste of time, although I have said it from time to time when it becomes clear that the discussion I'm in has become circular or my interlocutor flat-out rejects logic.

That said, sometimes a person is so thoroughly uneducated (or, worse, misinformed) that it would take years of education for them to understand why they are wrong about something. There is not a realistic way to discuss this in a forum. Not everything is as simple to explain as 2+2.
Nobody is useless. He at least can serve as a bad example.
Most debates are not for the benefit of the interlocutor but for the audience. I don't expect to change the mind of my interlocutor most of the time. We are helping each other to explain our ideas with our questions and the point to end a debate is when most of the audience has realized which idea isn't thought through.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The fool says in his heart "there is no god".
You just want to sin.
You have no morals.

You are illogical.
You don't know science.
You are delusional.

When a religious debate gets heated the above are insults thrown around. You may shrug at them or flag the post for violation of Rule #3. I have a suspicion that the religious are more easily offended than atheists but I am biased. 1. I am an Agnostic (and therefore an atheist) and 2. near impossible to offend and, applying the Golden Rule, don't think I'm offending. I know that not everyone sees it that way. What is your take on offending language? Where's the limit? Where should be the lawful limit, where the limit on RF?

Tagging @Seeker of White Light for information.

My own personal ethical limit is at deliberately insulting someone's person with as only intent to insult.

I mean, there is a HUGE difference between literally trying to insult on the one hand, and some person who simply "feels" insulted by whatever

Just to give a stupid example....
Years ago, at a family gathering, there was a distant cousin there from the "prude" part of the family.
TV was on and naked breasts were shown for a second, during a scene in which the woman was getting ready for work and was getting dressed. A whole moral rant started happening and one point she says that she felt "insulted" by it. And I was like... okay... so who are you going to "blame" for that insult? The actress? The producer? The director? The purchase manager who works at the TV station who felt he had to buy the show to air it? The guy at the desk from planning who scheduled it for airing? The managers who gave their okay to air it? Dad, for putting the TV on? Me, for switching to that channel? WHO?

And then I said "Maybe this thing isn't insulting at all. Maybe, instead,... it's just (about) how YOU feel. Maybe this problem only exists in YOUR head. Maybe you should just grow a bit ticker skin and stop demanding the world to cater to your personal sensitivities..... But what do I know, right? I'm just some rock 'n rolling rebel with long hair who smokes pot and works with those evil computers."

(that was a fun gathering tbh)

Fallen Prophet

The fool says in his heart "there is no god".
You just want to sin.
You have no morals.

You are illogical.
You don't know science.
You are delusional.

When a religious debate gets heated the above are insults thrown around. You may shrug at them or flag the post for violation of Rule #3. I have a suspicion that the religious are more easily offended than atheists but I am biased. 1. I am an Agnostic (and therefore an atheist) and 2. near impossible to offend and, applying the Golden Rule, don't think I'm offending. I know that not everyone sees it that way. What is your take on offending language? Where's the limit? Where should be the lawful limit, where the limit on RF?

Tagging @Seeker of White Light for information.
I am not easily offended. I have never flagged anyone. And I don't believe there should be any limits on speech.

I have - many times - been flagged by atheists and I consider them to be easily offended and willing to lash out and hurt others when they are.

That is just my personal experience.

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
I have - many times - been flagged by atheists and I consider them to be easily offended and willing to lash out and hurt others when they are

A couple of problems with that claim:

1. Reports are anonymous.
2. You wouldn't know a report was made until it resulted in a moderation decision.
3. This kind of reads like you got offended and now you're here complaining about atheists for some reason.

Reactions: ppp

Sheldon

Veteran Member
A couple of problems with that claim:

1. Reports are anonymous.
2. You wouldn't know a report was made until it resulted in a moderation decision.
3. This kind of reads like you got offended and now you're here complaining about atheists for some reason.
Saved me a post, spot on.

I also don't blame the moderators when I have failed to adhere to the rules. I may occasionally feel a little hard done by, but it's not my forum, so it's not my call. If I can't adhere to the forum rules, then I will have to accept the outcome.