• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

earth timeline

outhouse

Atheistically
I thought i'd do a experiment in how long nature had to work for things to evolve in relation to the earths age.

Im going to base this off a 200 mile timeline and base it off a 4 billion year old earth.

So meaning your standing on a line looking out over the horizon, your standing on the present time, the beginning of the earth is 200 miles away

you only have to move roughly 7" to take you back to the time of the bible, one foot off the line takes you back 3,700 years, 2' and your beyond written history.

66' takes you back past when homo sapiens evolved

you would have to travel a 1/2 mile to get to where man and chimps split from the same ancestor

this still leaves 199.5 miles for everything esle at that point to evolve

cyano bacteria first formed its fossils 150 miles from our starting point.

Hopefully this timeline would give those creationist a model of the reality of how long evolution and abiogenesis actually takes.

if anyone feels like adding or subtracting history feel free, I would love to see a graph set up. took all my small brain had just to crunch numbers lol :p

Libra

Cambrian fossil record was 530 million years ago. It was the first layer of diversified life in the fossil record. Also called the Cambrian explosion. No one has ever been able to explain how it formed.

Orbital

Ah, the old Cambrian explosion trick, never gets old.

Cambrian explosion, started around 530 million years ago and lasted for about 10-50 million years (the numbers vary), and was apparently the first layer of diversified life.... lol

Life developed into multicellular life in the precambrian era, so these did not suddenly pop into existence.

And concerning your needed explanation, I encourage you to read about punctuated equilibrium and the atmospheric changes around that time.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Cambrian fossil record was 530 million years ago. It was the first layer of diversified life in the fossil record. Also called the Cambrian explosion. No one has ever been able to explain how it formed.
You're a little behind the times... The Cambrian was preceded by the Ediacarian fauna among others. 580-542 million years ago.. Then you have the Ediacarian shelly fauna and the "small shelly fauna" and "T.pedium fauna" between them.

The Cambrian "explosion" was hardly an explosion.. unless you think an explosion takes tens of millions of years?

wa:do

outhouse

Atheistically
in my opinion some creationist are funny, hey its not a young earth let me have a do over lol,, hey its a old earth and man was created at the start, fossils what fossils hey I want a do over!, what do you mean evolution is real, well then ill call another do over, and run with ID lol the do overs never stop. No wait god stepped in around the cambria period lol do over!

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Putting numbers down into a timeline amazes me, it always has since the first time it was introduced to me.

large numbers mean very little without a relitive guide to put it into reality.

You're a little behind the times...

thank you

Libra

Metazoans, or the so called Ediacarian (shelly) Fauna appear in the 590 to 700 strata.

Mineralized fossils appear after the Ediacara Fauna in the 580 to 590 strata.

Base of the cambrian there are a few Edicaran Biota.

Then most animal groups appear for the first time in the 545 strata.

Think what you want.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Metazoans, or the so called Ediacarian (shelly) Fauna appear in the 590 to 700 strata.

Think what you want.
What do you mean by "most"?
Annelids, sponges, jellies, mollusks and the like predate the Cambrian explosion... The major groups found during the Cambrian are arthropods and chordates.
Animal embryo fossils are found prior to 600 mya...

wa:do

Libra

Of course they do, and descibe them as you may.
Animals showed up in abundance over a 10 million year strata.

And yes genomic diversity and benefitial mutation does explain it to some people.
Punctuated Equilibrium at its finest hour, within populations of course.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Putting numbers down into a timeline amazes me, it always has since the first time it was introduced to me.

thank you

You might find this interesting. I recently rescaled the solar system for an friend of mine who is an elementary school teacher to give him an idea of how big space is. If the distance between the Earth and the Sun were an inch, the distance between the Sun and Pluto would be about a yard. Voyager 1 would be almost ten feet away from the Sun travelling at about three and a half inches per year, and the nearest star would be four miles down the road. The distance to the center of the galaxy would be like walking around the world on this scale.

If the Earth were an inch in diamter, Jupiter would be about a foot, and the Sun would be about nine feet across.

If the Earth weighed a pound, Jupiter would weigh about 320 pounds, the Sun would weigh about as much as a blue whale, and the galaxy would be like giving 100 blue whales to every person on Earth and weighing them.

outhouse

Atheistically
Think what you want.

so you suppose your creator just magically jumped in somewhere in the middle of time and started creating???

This thread is about time, earths time to be exact. Do you know something that goes against the 4.6 billion year's ????

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Think what you want.

What is your point?

outhouse

Atheistically
You might find this interesting. I recently rescaled the solar system for an friend of mine who is an elementary school teacher to give him an idea of how big space is. If the distance between the Earth and the Sun were an inch, the distance between the Sun and Pluto would be about a yard. Voyager 1 would be almost ten feet away from the Sun travelling at about three and a half inches per year, and the nearest star would be four miles down the road. The distance to the center of the galaxy would be like walking around the world on this scale.

If the Earth were an inch in diamter, Jupiter would be about a foot, and the Sun would be about nine feet across.

If the Earth weighed a pound, Jupiter would weigh about 320 pounds, the Sun would weigh about as much as a blue whale, and the galaxy would be like giving 100 blue whales to every person on Earth and weighing them.

Thank you, thats pretty cool.