• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earth: 0% religion

Audie

Veteran Member
What if there was no religion? What if everyone was an atheist? How would the world look like? Would it be better or worse for planet Earth? For humanity?

Allow me to frame this question in two ways.

First, suppose that society and homo sapiens developed without religion. How would've that looked like? Is it possible for a being to evolve intelligently and remain non superstitious? Where would we be now?

Second, suppose that the next generation decides that religion isn't for them and atheism becomes the majority "religion". How would the near future look? Where would society go if humanity began discarding religion on mass from this point on?
A lot less churchs

AppieB

What do you think a religion means?
A social-cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, morals, beliefs, worldviews, texts, sanctified places, prophecies, ethics, or organizations, that generally relates humanity to supernatural, transcendental, and spiritual elements.
Religion - Wikipedia

In general I see it as a belief system that is based on dogma, designated behaviors and rituals. Depending on the religion it will have more elements as described in the definition above.

My worldview (yes I have one and I think that's something different that a religion) is not based on dogma, designated behaviors and rituals. Or the worship of a god or certain people for that matter.

My worldview (yes I have one and I think that's something different that a religion) is not based on dogma, designated behaviors and rituals. Or the worship of a god or certain people for that matter.

Thanks for your answer. Please tell, to what is your worldview based on?

If it is not based on anything outside of you, aren't you then the god for you, the highest authority?

AppieB

My worldview is based on my experience of reality, desires, reason and empathy.
If it is not based on anything outside of you, aren't you then the god for you, the highest authority?
No, I'm not a god! (What is your definition of a god?)
Nor is my worldview my own religion with dogma, designated behaviors and rituals.

Audie

Veteran Member
Ha.

I meant to write that the one already
there EATS the newcomer.
I've no idea what "it's the newcomer"
would mean.
But I guess statement about god is
supposed to be enigmatic.

Audie

Veteran Member

We are all our own highest authority in some things, and not in others.

No, I'm not a god! (What is your definition of a god?)...

I have understood "god" is title, like a "king", but higher, the highest of all. And what person keeps as his god can be seen for example from what he essentially serves his actions, or by what essentially rules him. For example some people may have fear as their god, it rules them. And some may have love as their God.

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

Audie

Veteran Member
I have understood "god" is title, like a "king", but higher, the highest of all. And what person keeps as his god can be seen for example from what he essentially serves his actions, or by what essentially rules him. For example some people may have fear as their god, it rules them. And some may have love as their God.

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8
So there's an infinite number of Gods.

Except that God is love, so, love is God.

Not much of a definition.