• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drunkeness

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
In answer to a question on here, yes, being drunk can be a sin. It is one of the many things which, if you continue in - not only will it destroy your life - it will destroy your afterlife as well.

Check this out:

1 Corinthians 6:
9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

It is not a sin to drink, even Jesus drank wine, but it is a sin to drink too much. I don't know if getting drunk once or twice is what this verse is speaking of, but it is pretty clear that if you continually get drunk you will not "inherit the kingdom".

But this should't be a surprise, even socially this is a sin. If you've ever been down to the mission and seen all the families who've been ruined (financially and emotionally) by a drunk father, all the men (and, to a lesser extent, the women) who have lost thier jobs, thier homes, even thier lives because of drunkeness, or if you've ever known anyone who was killed by a drunk driver, you'd have to agree that it is wickedness, or sickness, or both.

It is not a sin to get help, it is a sin to keep on doing wrong.

fromthe heart

johnnys4life said:
In answer to a question on here, yes, being drunk can be a sin. It is one of the many things which, if you continue in - not only will it destroy your life - it will destroy your afterlife as well.

Check this out:

1 Corinthians 6:
9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

It is not a sin to drink, even Jesus drank wine, but it is a sin to drink too much. I don't know if getting drunk once or twice is what this verse is speaking of, but it is pretty clear that if you continually get drunk you will not "inherit the kingdom".

But this should't be a surprise, even socially this is a sin. If you've ever been down to the mission and seen all the families who've been ruined (financially and emotionally) by a drunk father, all the men (and, to a lesser extent, the women) who have lost thier jobs, thier homes, even thier lives because of drunkeness, or if you've ever known anyone who was killed by a drunk driver, you'd have to agree that it is wickedness, or sickness, or both.

It is not a sin to get help, it is a sin to keep on doing wrong.
I agree but being drunk is also an indication of deeper things in that persons life...in some cases it's an escape, a cry for help, liquid courage to say or do something...after years of alcohol abuse though it becomes an illness just like drug abuse....and it can turn into an inherited gene to be passed down as being easily addicted to any substance to include food in some cases....over useage of anything IMO is sinful and harmful to the body.:)

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
johnnys4life said:
...It is not a sin to drink, even Jesus drank wine...
Some religions and cultures, of course, eschew alcohol altogether in an effort(I guess) to completely remove the temptation. Very good answer, btw.:162:

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
fromthe heart said:
I agree but being drunk is also an indication of deeper things in that persons life...in some cases it's an escape, a cry for help, liquid courage to say or do something...after years of alcohol abuse though it becomes an illness just like drug abuse....and it can turn into an inherited gene to be passed down as being easily addicted to any substance to include food in some cases....over useage of anything IMO is sinful and harmful to the body.:)
There are several reasons why people may be drawn to over use alcohal, but no good excuses for doing it.

Yes, excellent point. Gluttony is a sin as well, mentioned in Proverbs I believe, though I'm not sure if it is reiterated in the new testament - and that is one we tend to take less seriously. Quite literally, sin leads to death. The # 1 cause of death in the U.S. is heart disease, and the # 1 risk factor for it is obesity. I don't want to be a hypocrit so I have to admit that overeating is something I (and my whole family, really) have problems with. Culturally, this is something that we often overlook.

And, just like drunkeness, once or twice is probably not going to kill you - it's making a habit of it that is deadly.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am one of the unfortunates who has a character that is easily 'snared' into addictions. For some reason there is no 'middle ground' with me- as most of the family knows. It means that I have to stay on the highly 'controled' side of anything that might be addictive. I have never gambled (lotteries I have bought a ticket occasionally), and I have never taken 'recreational drugs' - I was too scared to, knowing what I am like. I have smoked to excess, and have given up, and now, I am on my seventh day without alcohol. What makes being the sort of person I am difficult is that people often cannot appreciate that there are those addicted to anything that is addictive; people say- oh go, on just have one drink, or just one cigarette after a meal (in the old days).

It seems an 'unfair' cross to have to bear, but as many have said to me , "Who says life's meant to be fair?

Bob Dogg

If you are concernred about the consumption and production of alcohol as I am It its important to note in this election that the vast fortune enjoyed by one of the presidential candidates, John McCain, appears to have been obtained primarily by the production and sale of alcoholic beverages. His multimillionaire hwife is the heiress/owner of a brewery.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
What does the Bible say about weed? I mean, it grows naturally (anything natural is a blessing from God, no?) and it is impossible to OD so uhh..did Jesus get smacked or what? And what say he about the rest of us!

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
You can get an answer from me. Drunkenness is mentioned in Genesis, after the flood. Noah planted a vineyard, made wine and lay naked. One son made fun of him but the 2 other sons covered him.
Weed (or pot, grass, Maryjane) is not mentioned in the Bible at all. I think the weed was indigenous to North America (or maybe not, I never studied marijuana). I think it is what they used to call loco weed ;)

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
You can get an answer from me. Drunkenness is mentioned in Genesis, after the flood. Noah planted a vineyard, made wine and lay naked. One son made fun of him but the 2 other sons covered him.
Weed (or pot, grass, Maryjane) is not mentioned in the Bible at all. I think the weed was indigenous to North America (or maybe not, I never studied marijuana). I think it is what they used to call loco weed ;)

Ooooh ok, thank you. Yea it would make sense for it not to be mentioned if it was indigenous to North America...except, apparently, if you're Mormon! I'm gonna go run and ask them!

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
What about opium?

Didn't they have those poppies back then too?