• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drug Tests for Welfare and Food Stamps?

Should people have a mandatory drug test before getting welfare or food stamps?

• Absolutely not - it is insulting.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • No - There is no need, other.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Undecided, indifferent.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Yes - I don't see the harm, why not?

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Absolutely - It would improve perceptions, other.

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

The Shadow

I'm against the idea for pretty much the same reasons given by others so far.

But I've known people who would see nothing wrong with this and think it's a great idea. What's even more distressing is that some of those same people also think sterilizing welfare recipients so they can't have any more kids would be a good idea. :eek: Maybe if they were a bit more knowledgeable about 20th century history, they might think twice. Then again, maybe not.

Paranoid Android

This is an idea I ran across on Facebook of all places. I had never given it a second thought, and was shocked to see the opinions on Facebook (incredibly one-sided). So I was curious what the opinions would be among a different group of people. I came here because the people are generally more informed people and don't debate solely on emotion.

Sure. But first the people making the law have to be drug tested. I consider them all to be junkies, and therefore there decisions are meaningless. The only way I would obey is if THEY PROVED that there not using drugs. Outside that, it would make as much sense to listen to them as it would a crystal meth junkie.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Applying for welfare is not grounds for suspecting drug use, thus it would be unconstitutional. And not to mention costly and hardly at all effective, as drug tests are generally very easy to mask. Many states that have had it scrapped it because it costs more than it saves.
Drug tests themselves are not reliable, and very prone to false-positives and false-negatives.
Drug Information Group
Various vitamins and even ibuprofen can cause a false positive for marijuana, tonic water can cause a false positive for cocaine, poppy-seed foods can cause a false positive for opium, and the list goes on.