• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dream: Alligator and Snake

EverChanging

I don't really believe in dream interpretation, and perhaps that will determine that I won't get many responses (I don't know), but I still find it an interesting subject and wanted to post an interesting dream and see if anyone has some interesting ideas. While in general I don't believe in dream interpretations, I recognize that sometimes dreams can express emotional tension that might be going on at the time (I have had these before, such as dreaming about a friend I had to cut off a relationship with.)

Maybe, just maybe, alligators are relevant in my dreams because I've dreamed about them since I was a little kid, and I'm terrified of sharks, alligators, anything scary living in water.

So here's the dream:

I was in my old high school, walking down a sidewalk, and I saw a guy who from the neck down was a normal human being, but he had the head of an alligator. The head looked kind of cartoonish, but it was definitely an alligator. He wore a black leather jacket. He walked past a snake and snapped it up in his jaws, shook it, and then the snake hung limp from his mouth.

He walked by me -- I was extremely nervous and kept my eyes averted -- with the snake still dangling from his mouth.

Abracadabra

I'm only just beginning to learn about shamanic journeying via dreamwork. I wish I could share with you all of my experience and the things that have led me to look into shamanic journeying, but unfortunately that would require many posts.

The only thing I can say is that you are very lucky to have such vivid dreams that you can remember.

I too have had some quite lucid dreams. In on of them I died and went into the spirit world. The dream as as vivid as reality and I wish I could share it here. But unfortunately that too would require quite some elaboration.

This was before I became interested in shamanic journeying as an medodical practice. In fact, it was precisely because I have had such lucid dreams that sparked my interest in learning about the practice of shamanic journeying.

In any case, I wouldn't even begin to try to interpret someone else's dreams. In fact, from what I've learned about shamanic journeying is that only the person who has these dreams can truly interpret them because the dream is meant for them and them alone. Only they have enough information to put all the pieces together.

However, having said all of that, there are some core ideas that you might be interested in.

First off, if you are constantly seeing alligators in your dreams this is a very good sign that the alligator is your totem, or at the very least your animal spirit guide. It's trying to make contact with you. It has things to teach you.

The snake may also be significant in your dream. Did you feel compassion for the snake? Or were you thinking, "Ewe yuck! Get both of these creatures away from me?"

The alligator may very well want to be your friend. In fact, if you are seeing it in a cartoon form that may very well be a form that it is taking to appear less threatening to you.

I recently heard a story about a fellow who just began to shamanic journey. In fact, I heard his story directly from him. He kept meeting a cobra in his dreams. And he didn't like it. He hates snakes and doesn't want to have anything to do with them. But the snake consistently kept showing up in his dreams. And it was quite big and fierce. After a while he began to realize that this must be his spirit guide as much as he didn't want a snake for a spirit guide.

So he 'let go' of his fears and tried to accept the snake and befriend it.

He approached it and asked it the obviouse question, "Are you my spirit guide?"

The snake didn't answer, but instead it stuck out at him and bit him in the face! He said that it was so real that he actually felt like it was really happening. He grabbed the snake and wrestled with it, but it over powered him and coiled around him and took him to the ground. He felt the venom of the posionous snake flowing in his veins and burning within his body, until he finally lost consciousness and died.

He then awoke next to a tree. And the cobra was there laughing at him. But he sensed that the laughing was like that of a friend. The snake spoke to him telepathically and said, "Of course I'm your spirit guide, there is nothing to fear here but fear itself".

After that experience he has been meeting with his cobra friend in all his shamanic journeys and he no longer fears the snake. The snake leads him to new places and shows him how to get around in the 'underworld'.

So from a shamanic point of view it appears to me that you need to befriend this alligator and start trusting it to be your guide. Although it might eat you first! But do not fear if it does. It's just a dream! And once you have passed through that fear, you will no longer fear it and you will begin to see it as a friend.

Here are some links that give a little infromation on the Alligator Totem.

(you're right at the top of the list on this one)
ANIMAL TOTEMS

(here's another viewpoint)
http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/crocodile.htm

If you are seeing alligators in your dreams all the time, I'd definitely suggest studying the alligator totem and spirit guides.

Also, if you are having vivid dreams already, I'd recommend looking into learning how to become more consciously alert within them and participating in them via dreamwork and shamanic journeying.

Some books you might find interesting are:

The Shamanic Temple of Witchcraft by Christopher Penczak
(don't let the term 'witchcraft' scare you off. This particular volume has more to do with shamanic journeying).

Penczak's book is quite abstract and covers many different areas of shamanism, and shamanic journey work. I personally like his abstract approach as it helps you do get a bird's-eye view of what shamanism is all about and how it can benefit you. Then you can be better prepared to look deeper into the specific things that call to you.

There are many other books on shamanic journey work. I just happen to buy this one and like it, but I'm not necessarily recommending it as the best book on the topic. There may be other books that are far better. I do like Penczak's approach. But I confess I've also read his previous temple books on witchcraft. Although, witchcraft itself is not required for shamanic journeying, but meditation is, and he teaches various meditation techniques in the previous two witchcraft books.

Michael Harner is also a popular name in the study of Shamanism. He has written many books on the subject, but I have yet to read any of them. So I can't really comment on them from direct experience. I just know that he's real popluar in the field of Shamanism so you might want to look into those.

Just thought I'd share this for whatever it's worth.

The only thing I'd tend to suggest is that rather than asking other people to interpret your dreams, you'd be far better off learning how to interpret them yourself, and participate in them with a more conscious mind. Shamanism will teach you how to dream more vividly, and how to recall dreams to pick up where you left off at a previous time.

If I have time I might come back and share my most recent dream about a mouse.

Abracadabra

I just thought of how I would interpret your dream, if I had had it. Please note that these are solely my own thoughts and may have nothing at all to do with what your dream might mean to you.

So here's your dream:

I was in my old high school, walking down a sidewalk, and I saw a guy who from the neck down was a normal human being, but he had the head of an alligator. The head looked kind of cartoonish, but it was definitely an alligator. He wore a black leather jacket. He walked past a snake and snapped it up in his jaws, shook it, and then the snake hung limp from his mouth.

He walked by me -- I was extremely nervous and kept my eyes averted -- with the snake still dangling from his mouth.

Ok, let's assume that the Alligator is your totem and he/she is trying to get your attention. The reason I feel that it's safe to assume this is because you've said that you've seen alligators in your dreams all your life. So I would take that into consideration and imagine that I too have been seeing this alligator around a lot.

Ok, now imagine that snakes represent something that you personally view as something you don't like. Maybe you even associate them with evil, or just unpleasant things. (this may or may not be true for you). But let's assume that it is.

Then in this case, the alligator (your totem spirit) is attempting to show you that it can easily snap up and destory your demons for you, if you'll just allow it to become your friend.

Now, again, this is just an intutive guess on my part. This is what I would begin to piece together if I had that dream and began to believe that the alligator might be my spirit guide or totem. Whether this has anything at all to do with your life I have absolutely NO CLUE.

I'm just trying to share how someone else might possibly interepret this for their situation. The main key is to learn to interpret your own dreams in ways that they make sense to you.

These are just suggestions for whatever they might be worth.

The alligator is the communicator. All else are just symbols that it uses to communicate. That's how it works.

Not to say that other beings can't also play a role in shamanic dreams. But usually you need to befriend your main animal totem before you can move on to meeting with other spirits directly. Although that's not carved in stone either. Basically with shamanism anything goes. But there are standard experiences that most people tend to have, and usually they need to befriend their animal totem before they can move forward. And if you fear it, you'll probably need to get past that one way or the other. It can't very well communicate with you effectively if you are constantly in fear of it or don't trust it.

EverChanging

Interesting responses, for the most part.

I don't always remember my dreams, but many are vivid. I had one dream that was very much like an OBE and returned to the same "place" in another dream not long ago....

I do not jump to conclusions with these experiences, but at the very least they provide a glimpse into the complexities of the human mind....

just curious what was your first encounter with alligator's
have you ever experianced a traumatic event in the water?
does it always happen near your old school or a there other place's where you encountered "him"
i ask this because what you describe strongly resemble's a repressed traumatic experiance surfacing in your subconsucius

EverChanging

You know, I've had lots of emotional/mental issues, so I wouldn't be surprised if something did surface. Maybe I should ask my therapist? I don't know.

Anyway, I've only ever seen alligators or crocodiles in the zoo. I would have been pretty young when I first encountered them. I don't remember having a traumatic experience in water, though as a young child, water absolutely terrified me, and one of my family members forced me to go into the water with her anyway. I scratched her and screamed, but she wouldn't let go. Eventually, we went out further on rafts, and I lost my fear. I have swam in the ocean before, and though I'm not afraid of the water, I really don't like going anymore because I'm scared of sharks. I would rather go to a pool. When I was a kid, sometimes I was even afraid to swim in the pool because I thought sharks could be there. I knew that was completely ridiculous, but I had the fear anyway.

I don't have the dreams near specific places.

EverChanging

I should add, though, that I am skeptical of repressed memories and not entirely convinced that my recurring dreams mean anything other than that I am afraid of alligators and other such creatures.

What exactly about the dream makes you think it has anything to do with a repressed memory?

well you stated that you fear gator's and that a "human gator" was walking past, this is often the minds way of coping with someone (hiding the face of the one you fear by your minds representation of fear)
and the lucidity of your dream, dreams with a strong emotional charge are often remembered easyer

my sister became a phycologist (wich is alot of studying) and i used to read her textbooks because i was interested by the workings of the mind (in the end i almost knew more then her)
and i progressed with learning about the human psycie on the web (i progressed like this physics-psycology-religion)

I had a dream once where my dog came up to me and barked, it was cold and it's lower jaw was frozen and when it barked at me it broke off like a piece of ice hit on a doorstep to better accomodate the freezer, tongue lolling and creating a somewhat yelping sound. I passed this off as nothing as I did "The ClownThat Moves Through Walls" that I saw after a brief stint of inhaling burning opium. I thank my past and current rampant abuse of massive doses of Lysergic Acid Diethlamide (LSD) and the Psilocybin mushroom for not getting too bent out of shape over it all.

Trey of Diamonds

Dreams are symbols, so what do these symbols mean to you.

Alligator = fear object
Leather jacket = ?
Snake = ?

We need to know what you feel these two things are to better understand the dream. I would say that you are afraid of something that you feel is approaching you. I could be an event coming up that makes you nervious or maybe you need to speak to someone about something uncomfortable. The snake is interesting but without knowing how you feel about them it's hard to interpret. If you have a fear of snakes then it could be you see a large fear consuming a smaller fear. If you are fond of snakes it will mean something else. The leather jacket could represent a person or a state of being. It could represent the popular crowd that you wish to be a part of or a criminal element in your neighborhood. Depends on what you think of leather jackets.

And that is my armchair analysis for what its worth. I have no training or schooling in either the science or the mystic. And that's my disclaimer. :D

And that is my armchair analysis for what its worth. I have no training or schooling in either the science or the mystic. And that's my disclaimer.

Like the pusher selling sweet dreams on the corner for a nickel- excellent!

EverChanging

I don't know what the jacket means -- I definitely don't care to be among the popular crowd, though like anyone, I want people to like me, at least my friends, and a lot of people do.

I'm afraid of alligators and sharks. I'm not really scared of snakes; if I know it won't bite me, I like to pet them: I like the texture of their skin. I would be scared if I accidentally stumbled up no a poisonous one, though.

Trey of Diamonds

Do you remember if the snake seemed dangerous or not? How do you feel when you see guys in leather jackets, threatened or do you think they look cool?