• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dragons in the Bible-"Bel and the Dragon"

linwood

SoulTYPE01 said:
Yes indeed, well, a form of. Much like the serpent of Adam and Eve's tale, I believe:jiggy:
Actually no.

I still refute any mention of Satan in Eden considering there was no mention or implication of it until the Pauline writings which if taken in context can have no real bearing in the writers of Genesis.

Thomas directly challeneged this dragon as satan and won.

i`d have to read up a bit to post the exact wording but it was a really cool story .

SoulTYPE

linwood said:
I still refute any mention of Satan in Eden considering there was no mention or implication of it until the Pauline writings which if taken in context can have no real bearing in the writers of Genesis..
No, he was not MENTIONED. But God was not to know this serpent was Satan. When Satan presented himself to the LORD, the LORD asked "where hath thou come from?"
"from going to and fro on the earth, and walking up and down it"..obviously Satan did exist before the "Pauline" writings.

Also, I will not further argue your refutes, out of respect for your beliefs.

linwood said:
Thomas directly challeneged this dragon as satan and won..
yes but only defeated the DRAGON form..

linwood

SoulTYPE01 said:
No, he was not MENTIONED. But God was not to know this serpent was Satan. When Satan presented himself to the LORD, the LORD asked "where hath thou come from?"
"from going to and fro on the earth, and walking up and down it"..obviously Satan did exist before the "Pauline" writings.
I`m sorry, I should have been more clear.

I meant to say that there is no mention of Satan in Eden before the Pauline writings.
The way I wrote it does sound like there was no mention of Satan at all.

So in essence we get all the way through the OT and the vast majority of the NT before anyone equates the serpent in Eden with Satan.

Considering genesis was written thousands of years before then Pauline writings and the Jews really had no concept of Satan like the early Christians you can see how whoever wrote the Pauline writings was stepping out of his realm with his statement about Satan being the Serpent in Eden.

He really didn`t know what he was talking about as that could not have been the intent of the writers of Genesis.

Also, I will not further argue your refutes, out of respect for your beliefs.
Argue away..I don`t really have any beliefs.

:)

yes but only defeated the DRAGON form..
True and he didn`t physically defeat him, only appeared to make him bend to his will.

Where Satan is concerned can you ever be sure whose will is being promoted with any action?

You sound like you`ve read the Gospel of Thomas but if you haven`t here`s a link.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/nf0/nov_2000/gos_thomas.htm

It`s a pretty quick read an considering your interests if you haven`t read it I think you`ll find it pretty interesting.

It`s one of the most entertaining gospels I`ve read.

SoulTYPE

Actually I have read the Book of Thomas, some I can remember..

Perhaps the Bible's "early authors" did not wish to spread the word on Satan, for many reasons, some perhaps unknown..