• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Door-to-door atheism

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lRmC0DaE6rE

This is a clip from a TV show that aired here in Australia a few years back called John Safran v.s. God.

In it, John basically travels the world "trying out" different religions and belief systems. Along with that are, of course, plenty of segments that are just there to be amusing. This is one of those.

The segment is "John Safran v.s. Mormons" and the first part is just John complaining about Mormon missionaries (LDS members may want to "beware of the dog" in this case.) The second part is John and his director going to Salt Lake City and promoting atheism and evolution door-to-door. Obviously it's for the purposes of comedy, but I thought our American and European friends who hadn't seen it might get a kick out of it. :D

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
No offense to our fellow LDS members, I'd say the same thing if they were any other missionaries.

But bravo! :D LOL

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Djamila said:
No offense to our fellow LDS members, I'd say the same thing if they were any other missionaries.

But bravo! :D LOL

Djamila, what was the worldwide muslim response to the Dutch when they drew a single cartoon of Mohammad? making fun of muslims deserves death but making fun of mormons is hilarious? interesting....

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
comprehend said:
Djamila, what was the worldwide muslim response to the Dutch when they drew a single cartoon of Mohammad? making fun of muslims deserves death but making fun of mormons is hilarious? interesting....

There's a difference between implying your prophet is a terrorist and making fun of missionaries. We have Wahhabi missionaries in Islam, and the Dutch can make fun of them to heart's content - I'd even laugh if it was this well done. ;)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Djamila said:
There's a difference between implying your prophet is a terrorist and making fun of missionaries. We have Wahhabi missionaries in Islam, and the Dutch can make fun of them to heart's content - I'd even laugh if it was this well done. ;)

the cartoon about Mohammad was a joke. It was meant to be funny. So was this video clip. I am not seeing the difference. Joseph Smith (Our founding prophet) is made fun of and trashed all the time so I understand what it is like. It just seems a bit wierd to think one derserves death and the other is a knee slapper.

Fluffy

A fool
This is a DIR forum guys and gals so please don't turn this into a debate or Ill have to start blamming posts :sorry1:

Also it is the atheist DIR forum so all non-atheists need to be on their extra best behaviour.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Fluffy said:
This is a DIR forum guys and gals so please don't turn this into a debate or Ill have to start blamming posts :sorry1:

Also it is the atheist DIR forum so all non-atheists need to be on their extra best behaviour.

my apologies to everyone. I didn't realize where this was posted.

Revasser said:
The segment is "John Safran v.s. Mormons" and the first part is just John complaining about Mormon missionaries (LDS members may want to "beware of the dog" in this case.) The second part is John and his director going to Salt Lake City and promoting atheism and evolution door-to-door. Obviously it's for the purposes of comedy, but I thought our American and European friends who hadn't seen it might get a kick out of it. :D
Yes i saw some of this on youtube not long ago - someone showed me it when i mentioned that i had the thought it would be amusing to do door to door atheism during my musings of the day. :cool:

I've never had Mormons knock on my door, it was always Jehovah's Witnesses, and they usually have the entire family with them. I try not to be rude or mean to them, just tell them I don't have time or I'm not interested and they leave me with a Watchtower magazine pamphlet (which I have an incredible stack of now) and then they are on their way to my neighbors.

Nanda

Polyanna
SenileAnimal said:
I've never had Mormons knock on my door, it was always Jehovah's Witnesses, and they usually have the entire family with them. I try not to be rude or mean to them, just tell them I don't have time or I'm not interested and they leave me with a Watchtower magazine pamphlet (which I have an incredible stack of now) and then they are on their way to my neighbors.

This has been my experience, too. Though one time, my 5-year-old son answered the door naked before I could stop him. They left quickly that day...

M

Majikthise

Got a good chuckle from that.:D

I loved it when the old man whacked him with the broom.:slap:

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
That's pretty funny. Actually, his accent makes it funnier.

But, I think he does make a really good point.

M

Majikthise

My brother in law is an elder in the JW church , so i'm difinitely off the knock up list.:yes:

des

This isn't quite as funny, but I have a dog with quite an impressive bark (though she is a Corgi and they are rather small). She set out on a great barking fit, I think she was just bored and wanted to meet someone. They turned around and walked away hurredly. (OTOH, maybe she just didn't want her nylons run.) All I could say was "Good dog". :)
And I'll set her after any of you atheists that want to go door to door too. Or any other missionaries. Although she is pretty harmless.

--des

Nanda said:
This has been my experience, too. Though one time, my 5-year-old son answered the door naked before I could stop him. They left quickly that day...

XAAX

Revasser said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lRmC0DaE6rE

This is a clip from a TV show that aired here in Australia a few years back called John Safran v.s. God.

In it, John basically travels the world "trying out" different religions and belief systems. Along with that are, of course, plenty of segments that are just there to be amusing. This is one of those.

This was absolutely fantastic. I had this same idea just a few days ago. It is funny how mormons will tell you how having missionaries from other beliefs come to their door would not offend them. Well I guess when it comes to pictures being worth a thousand words, Video is worth even more than that. I love the way as soon as you mention anything about being against the bible people get irate. Oh, but we aren’t supposed to get irate when someone is standing in our doorstep spouting it. Please! Well, although I found this to be very well done. I would do it much better. There may be plans for a future film on this topic…What’s good for the Goose, is good for the gander…so my grandmother use to say...

Nanda

Polyanna
des said:
This isn't quite as funny, but I have a dog with quite an impressive bark (though she is a Corgi and they are rather small). She set out on a great barking fit, I think she was just bored and wanted to meet someone. They turned around and walked away hurredly. (OTOH, maybe she just didn't want her nylons run.) All I could say was "Good dog". :)
And I'll set her after any of you atheists that want to go door to door too. Or any other missionaries. Although she is pretty harmless.

--des

If you sic your friendly Corgi on me, I'll sic my naked son on you! :p