• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Domine Jesu Christe

Lain

From the Mass of the Dead, English lyrics:

Lord Jesus Christ, King of glory,
deliver the souls of all the faithful departed
from punishments of hell,
and from the deep lake.

Deliver them from the mouth of the lion,
may the abyss not swallow them up,
may they not fall into darkness.

But may the holy standard-bearer Michael
lead them to that holy light
which of old Thou didst promise Abraham
and his seed.

Sacrifices and prayers to Thee,
O Lord, we offer with praise.
O receive them for the souls of those
whom today we commemorate.

Make them, O Lord,
to pass from death to life,
which of old Thou didst promise Abraham
and his seed.

It is said that as people get older they become more aware of their own mortality, although I am in my early 20s it's happening to me more and more. Pretty cool. Soon I think I shall randomly attend a public funeral or a wake to think more about this sphere of existence.

Sirach says: "A gift hath grace in the sight of all the living, and restrain not grace from the dead. Be not wanting in comforting them that weep, and walk with them that mourn. Be not slow to visit the sick: for by these things thou shalt be confirmed in love. In all thy works remember thy last end [your death], and thou shalt never sin."

The Preacher also said: "It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to the house of feasting: for in that we are put in mind of the end of all, and the living thinketh what is to come. The heart of the wise is where there is mourning, and the heart of fools where there is mirth."

I've never been to a funeral or whatnot, so I think it'll be a good experience to witness and pray for the dead.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Here is another version, from Fauré, so very c.19th:

I heard this sung a week ago by a chamber choir I used to sing with, accompanied by a string quintet. Very different from the version here but it works surprisingly well, with a certain clarity that you tend to get with small forces. Quite moving, actually.