• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dogs as Pets

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
A Muslim once told me that Muslims shouldn't own dogs as pets because they are unclean.

Is that true or not. Can a Muslim have a dog as a pet?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
We do not keep dogs inside the house if that's what you mean.

To keep a dog one must have a reason, it may be used for security, to keep the house safe which is why it must be kept outside, or it may be used to protect ones property such as a fruit or veggie farm or if you have a lot of land where your house is.

Hound dogs are also permissible, but again outside the house.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Because they are unclean, loud, dangerous etc.

If one keeps a dog for security reasons then the dog will obviously need to be outside, he will need to be aggressive (but not with the family) and large in size. Just like the dogs my family used to keep.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Okay so no little dogs either? What about a dog is considered unclean? Is there a Koran verse for it?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay so no little dogs either? What about a dog is considered unclean? Is there a Koran verse for it?

There is not a Qur'anic verse regarding dogs, there is a Hadith. I'll find it when I get home.

F0uad

I don't know any from the hadith but i can name many such as licking there butts and then lick you.. hehe

I think as esslam mentioned they are seen unclean like pigs.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know any from the hadith but i can name many such as licking there butts and then lick you.. hehe

I think as esslam mentioned they are seen unclean like pigs.

Cats lick their butts then lick you too. I've often wondered how cats are considered clean.

I've never seen a straight answer as to why dogs are considered unclean, just that they are and are not allowed inside the house.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
A Muslim once told me that Muslims shouldn't own dogs as pets because they are unclean.

Is that true or not. Can a Muslim have a dog as a pet?

The quran did never forbid dogs from being with human or even called them as unclean,
as we know that god prohibited pork in very clear verse and i think if dogs are such bad,
then they should be mentioned as well in the quran.

Also the story in the quran for the righteous people of the cave whom were sleeping with
their dog,which means that there is no problem with dogs even sleeping beside the
people of the cave

Thou wouldst have thought them awake, as they lay sleeping, while We turned them now to the right, now to the left, and their dog stretching its paws on the threshold. Hadst thou observed them surely thou wouldst have .turned thy back on them in flight, and been filled with terror of them. 18:18

[youtube]Cqo6McNOalg[/youtube]
Dogs rights in Islam...FUNNY Dr. Bilal Philips... - YouTube

[youtube]TO9sAPjt9gg[/youtube]
Animal rights in islam - YouTube

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
There are difference of opinion among the scholars, some say the whole dog is unclean and some say that only the dogs saliva is unclean. Imam Malik, based on the hadith of the Prophet peace be upon him that one must wash 7 times any utensil which was licked by a dog, says that only the saliva of the dog is unclean by basing his view on the above hadith.

Others on the other hand view it differently and consider the whole dog unclean.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
There are difference of opinion among the scholars, some say the whole dog is unclean and some say that only the dogs saliva is unclean. Imam Malik, based on the hadith of the Prophet peace be upon him that one must wash 7 times any utensil which was licked by a dog, says that only the saliva of the dog is unclean by basing his view on the above hadith.

Others on the other hand view it differently and consider the whole dog unclean.

i am confused brother regarding the dog's saliva as allah(swt) mentioned in the holy book that we're allowed to eat the prey which brought to us by the mouth of the hound and we aren't even asked to clean the saliva or to cut the bite of the dog on the prey.

Also in surat al-kahf the story of the righteous men in the cave and their dog in accompany with them.

((And you would think them awake, while they were asleep. And We turned them to the right and to the left, while their dog stretched his forelegs at the entrance. If you had looked at them, you would have turned from them in flight and been filled by them with terror)) 18:18

Last edited by a moderator:

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
I am glad to see there are very good discussions going on here. More open-minded then I guessed.

I myself struggled understanding why Dogs are forbidden. It does not seem to make sense. The conclusion I got to is that we have misunderstood the meanings of the Hadith. For how could it be possible that a blind person would not be allowed to keep a dog if they were Muslims. Moreover, we have not seen any issues with people keeping well trained breeds in their houses.

The conclusion I came to was that you are forbidden to keep loud, unclean, wild dogs in your home. <- This can be shown from the fact that the Hadith also mentions pictures, clearly it is referring to idols etc...

You can keep a loud dog outside. Keeping a clean well-trained do inside is your matter of preference. I think we are more culturally inclined to keep the dog away from our indoors.

[youtube]qyuC9Vaxo5Q[/youtube]

check it out.

MartyrX

Sometimes I wonder if we forget to look at those Hadiths from a historical context. The saliva from a dog could contain rabies or other diseases that at the time would prove to be deadly. While today most pets are vaccinated against some of these diseases. Not to mention that we have better ways to get and stay clean.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I hope this is not deviating from the OP but what is the Muslim view about having pets? And what about having a loving relationship with pets? By loving I mean it is like an adopted member of the family that is given care and affection.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
i am confused brother regarding the dog's saliva as allah(swt) mentioned in the holy book that we're allowed to eat the prey which brought to us by the mouth of the hound and we aren't even asked to clean the saliva or to cut the bite of the dog on the prey.

Yes true. The killed animal in this case is going to get cleaned and cooked. High temperatures kill any and all living bacteria.

Also in surat al-kahf the story of the righteous men in the cave and their dog in accompany with them.

((And you would think them awake, while they were asleep. And We turned them to the right and to the left, while their dog stretched his forelegs at the entrance. If you had looked at them, you would have turned from them in flight and been filled by them with terror)) 18:18

The Ashabul Kahf (Companions of the Cave) were in a cave, they ran away from a corrupt society seeking the protection of Allah. And since they were living in a cave and not in a normal household environment, things which are usually prohibited in normal circumstances become permissible.

However, that is not really the case. A hunter who is required to travel a long distance to the hunting ground may require a car to get there and obviously the dog would also get a ride in the car.

With the cave, I haven't read much on the story, but if they had the dog for security, remember that they were hiding from the people/King, then obviously you would expect in such a situation the dog to go with them. The cave wasn't their home, they stopped to hide and fell asleep for 300 years.

You also had an image posted but it didn't show, I didn't see what the picture was.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I hope this is not deviating from the OP but what is the Muslim view about having pets? And what about having a loving relationship with pets? By loving I mean it is like an adopted member of the family that is given care and affection.

A cat is permitted as a pet and by Islamic law, it must be taken care of very well and must not be abused or treated badly. There are a number of hadith which emphasize well treatment of domestic animals/pets. Ill treatment may result in hell fire.

A hadith reports that a woman had a cat as a pet and she had the cat locked in a cage until it died. For that cruelty the hadith goes on to say that she earned herself the hell fire regardless of what kind of a Muslim she was.

Another hadith says that a man stopped by a well to drink water and he saw a thirsty dog. He gave the dog water and as a result God will reward him with Paradise for his compassion towards the dog.

In general, Islam prohibits the ill treatment of any living being, this includes trees. All things are created by Allah and as a result we are to honor the creatures which God has created, help them when in need and not be cruel to them. We must not kill for fun but only for necessity.

We are to love them and care for them, the Prophet himself had a cat as a pet and he loved it dearly, just as he loved his camel and never overbore it.