• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your UU building inspire or frustrate you?

What's your attitude towards your UU congregation's building?

• Our building is old-fashioned, I wish we were in something more modern.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Our architecture is traditional, and I find it inspiring.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We're in a modern building, but it lacks soul and substance.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Our modern building is inspiring and in keeping with our mission.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • We're just renting space, and hoping to get our own building in the future.

• We're renting space, and it's nice not to have to hassle with building issues.

• Buildings don't matter, just the people in them.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • We share space with another religious or educational group, and it works well.

• We're sharing space, but having conflicts.

• We need to have better facilities for religious education.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

applewuud

A question for UUs--

In New England, many of the Unitarian/Universalist congregations or fellowships or societies are located in church buildings hundreds of years old. Some are huge stone historical monuments, like King's Chapel and Arlington Street Church in Boston, or colonial clapboard churches like First Church Cambridge. Some of these old churches feature the dark interiors and colored glass of the Victorian era; some of them are light and airy with clear, looking out onto nature. In any case, they were designed for the society of their time, and for the Unitarians or Universalists of their time.

In other parts of the country, the architecture of UU groups is more modern, with more or less success. Some have large walls of clear glass and unique textures; one or two were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, some are modern but with no windows at all, like a theatre. Some of these modern buildings, because they were groundbreaking, have unique maintenance problems of their own; but in many cases they draw people with the drama of their sanctuary and the effective layout of their facilities: kitchens for community meals, schoolrooms for day care and religious education.

Some have suggested that our early success in American society 150 years ago has trapped us: we have to maintain these old churches like museums that don't really represent who we are. Our theology and ideas are very different from other churches, yet our buildings make us look almost the same as a UCC, Baptist, or Methodist church.

From an environmental standpoint, it's almost impossible to insulate these buildings to modern standards. They have inadequate facilities for people with disabilities. They don't have modern sound or projection systems. They're often in locations without adequate parking. They can be a real hassle to maintain. In New England, there are too many of them, frankly...every few miles are small congregations struggling to keep their doors open. If we were Catholics, the bishop would come in and close 2/3rds of the churches and get the congregations to consolidate.

Yet, they have a lot of sentimental meaning to many people, and are in the heart of many towns, both literally and in history. They're paid for, they have a momentum of their own. They show that UUs aren't a group of upstarts; we have a long and significant history

So, the poll is meant to prompt a conversation: are our buildings a help or a burden? Should we go through the effort of rebuilding for a new era? Do buildings matter at all? What would the ideal UU building be? What is your reaction to the church buildings you've been in, focusing mostly on UU buildings?

Any stories you have about being in a group that built or remodeled its building would be appreciated, or your reaction to the architecture of non-UU churches, synagogues, or mosques.

Last edited:

seeker57

How about none of the above. Our congregation owns its own building, but it isn't, or wasn't constructed to be a church.

Our building is a converted house, originally built in the early 20th Century here in Northwest New Mexico.

So, we have an old building, but not an old church building.

I don't know that it inspires me, but it is comfortable and adequately meets the needs of our small congregation.

I guess that answers the question, but doesn't really fit the poll.

JonathanCid

I don't think there is an ideal UU building. I think UU buildings can and should be reflective of the congregations that occupy them. Having UU buildings that reflect various regions and periods of history only reflects our UU values, it doesn't take away from them. Not all of our churches need to reflect modern abstract expressionism; our buildings can and should reflect that, but they should also reflect our history with more traditional structures.

Why can't we have the best of both worlds?

uu_sage

I agree with Jonathan. Church buildings should reflect the parishes that occupy them. The congregation I was a part of was founded during the fellowship movement and it looked like a car dealership. I wished they were in something more traditional or traditional with modern influences.

keithnurse

The UU congregation I belong to has a worship space that is an octagon, an 8 sided building. The interior is like an amphitheater in the round. It serves 3 roles as a worship space, a performing arts venue and as an art gallery with rotating exhibits. I find it an inspiring structure.