• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Quran say to Believe in Muhammad?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Are there Surah in the Quran saying to believe in Muhammad?

Do they say if you believe in Muhammad, you can have your sins forgiven?

Do they say by believing in Muhammad, you can escape the Hell fire on the Day of Judgement?

Can you post the relating Surah, if they exist please. :innocent:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member

Do they say by believing in Muhammad, you can escape the Hell fire on the Day of Judgement?

There are no specific chapters (surahs) exclusively telling to believe in Muhammad (peace be upon him), there are verses scattered all over the Quran for that. Quran 3:132 tells to obey God and the messenger, as well as 4:59 and 8:46 saying the same thing in different contexts. But then, those chapters tell to obey the messenger, but give no names of who he is. For that, there are other verses clarifying who this messenger is. So come verses like 33:40 telling that Muhammad is not the father of any of your men but the messenger of God and last of the prophets.

Some of the above mentioned verses already talk about this one (same color in your quoted post). Quran 3:132 says that if we obey God and his messenger, we my obtain mercy. 4:59 tells that if we get a conflict of have a disagreement, we shall refer to God and the messenger if you do believe in God, and that this is best way and what may bear best results. I believe best results mean the best possible outcome that includes forgiveness, as well as getting the good ending of escaping Hell.

Now, there could be ambiguity in my reply. If there is any, please point them out and I'll what I can do about it ;)

Edit:
References:
1- http://quran.com/3/132
2- http://quran.com/4/59
3- http://quran.com/8/46

4- http://quran.com/33/40

Last edited:

wizanda

Premium Member
Thank you, so it is basically saying follow the message, and then you get mercy. :)

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
It rather says that it is the basic requirement to get the specific mercy God promised. God still has mercy to all creation.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Thank you, so it is basically saying follow the message, and then you get mercy. :)

Yes exactly it's to follow the message, the prophet even though he was sick he asked people to
be gathered to listen for his last sermon and it was shortly before his death, he told them that
he may not meet them in the next year and they should listen to him carefully, he told them
that it's serious and they should be aware that they'll be questioned about their deeds on
the judgement day, he asked people to spread the message from one generation to the next.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

Peace be on you.
Not only belief on, and good works taught by Hazrat Muhammad (pbuh) but belief and doing good as taught by every Prophet had been beneficial too:

[ch6:v49] And We send not the Messengers but as bearers of glad tidings and as warners. So those who believe and reform themselves, on them shall come no fear nor shall they grieve.

[47:3] But as for those who believe and do good works and believe in that which has been revealed to Muhammad — and it is the truth from their Lord — He removes from them their sins and improves their condition.

[3:194] “Our Lord, we have heard a Crier calling us unto faith, ‘Believe ye in your Lord,’ and we have believed. Our Lord, forgive us, therefore, our errors and remove from us our evils, and in death number us with the righteous.
[3:195] “Our Lord, give us what Thou hast promised to us through Thy Messengers; and disgrace us not on the Day of Resurrection. Surely, Thou breakest not Thy promise.”

[48:30] Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah. And those who are with him are hard against the disbelievers, tender among themselves. Thou seest them bowing and prostrating themselves in Prayer, seeking grace from Allah and His pleasure. Their mark is upon their faces, being the traces of prostrations. This is their description in the Torah. And their description in the Gospel is like unto a seed-produce that sends forth its sprout, then makes it strong; it then becomes thick, and stands firm on its stem, delighting the sowers — that He may cause the disbelievers to burn with rage at the sight of them. Allah has promised, unto those of them who believe and do good works, forgiveness and a great reward.

[2:28] This Messenger of Ours believes in that which has been revealed to him from his Lord, and so do the believers: all of them believe in Allah, and in His angels, and in His Books, and in His Messengers, saying, ‘We make no distinction between any of His Messengers;’ and they say, ‘We hear, and we obey. We implore Thy forgiveness, O our Lord, and to Thee is the returning.’
[2:287] Allah burdens not any soul beyond its capacity. It shall have the reward it earns, and it shall get the punishment it incurs. Our Lord, do not punish us, if we forget or fall into error; and our Lord, lay not on us a responsibility as Thou didst lay upon those before us. Our Lord, burden us not with what we have not the strength to bear; and efface our sins, and grant us forgiveness and have mercy on us; Thou art our Master; so help us Thou against the disbelieving people.

Blessings comes through grace of Allah:
[62:5] That is Allah’s grace; He bestows it on whom He pleases; and Allah is the Master of immense grace.

Ref: www.alislam.org/quran

Good wishes.

Last edited:

Tomorrows_Child

There are many verses throughout the Quran telling us to believe in Muhammad PBUH, the final messenger and that he is the salvation. Some have already been quoted here.

What I wanted to point out is, simply believing in the Prophet PBUH and Islam as a whole is not enough for forgiveness, one must also practice the teachings, to prove that we actually believe. So forgive comes in the form of prayer, charity, kindness, hospitality, fasting, education and work.

Something you may find useful:

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is mentioned by name in the Song of Solomon chapter 5 verse 16:

"Hikko Mamittakim we kullo Muhammadim Zehdoodeh wa Zehraee Bayna Jerusalem."

"His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters
of Jerusalem."

In the Hebrew language im is added for respect. Similarely im is added after the name of Prophet Muhammad
(pbuh) to make it Muhammadim. In English translation they have even translated the name of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) as "altogether lovely", but in the Old Testament in Hebrew, the name of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is yet present.

Tomorrows_Child

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in the New Testament:

Al-Qur'an Chapter 61 Verse 6:

"And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said, 'O Children of Israel! I am the messenger of Allah (sent) to you, confirming the Law (which came) before me and giving glad tidings of a messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmed.' But when he came to them with clear signs, they said, 'This is evident sorcery!' "

All the prophecies mentioned in the Old Testament regarding Muhammad (pbuh) besides applying to the Jews also hold good for the Christians.

John chapter 14 verse 16:

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever."

Gospel of John chapter 15 verse 26:

"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which
proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me."

Gospel of John chapter 16 verse 7:

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not
come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you".

"Ahmed" or "Muhammad" meaning "the one who praises" or "the praised one" is almost the translation of the
Greek word Periclytos. In the Gospel of John 14:16, 15:26, and 16:7. The word 'Comforter' is used in the English translation for the Greek word Paracletos which means advocate or a kind friend rather than a comforter.
Paracletos
is the warped reading for Periclytos. Jesus (pbuh) actually prophesised Ahmed by name. Even the
Greek word Paraclete refers to the Prophet (pbuh) who is a mercy for all creatures.

Some Christians say that the Comforter mentioned in these prophecies refers to the Holy Sprit. They fail to realise
that the prophecy clearly says that only if Jesus (pbuh) departs will the Comforter come. The Bible states that the
Holy Spirit was already present on earth before and during the time of Jesus (pbuh), in the womb of Elizabeth, and again when Jesus (pbuh) was being baptised, etc. Hence this prophecy refers to none other than Prophet
Muhammad (pbuh).

Gospel of John chapter 16 verse 12-14:

"I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth is
come, he will guide you unto all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me".

Even more for OP to look into and if you really want to know more, look up videos by Dr Zakir Naik.

wizanda

Premium Member

Pastek

Sunni muslim

The one who has brought us the Quran is Muhammad (saw) so i don't know how someone can be muslim if he doesn't believe in him (not talking here about "muslim" as simple monotheists).

Someone who converts to Islam has his sins forgiven. And when you become muslim you say the "shahada", so you bear witness that Muhammad is the last messenger.

Not believing in some messengers is also not allowed. Because God Said clearly that they have existed, then it means you don't believe in what He asked you to believe, this is disbelief.

4.150 Indeed, those who disbelieve in Allah and His messengers and wish to discriminate between Allah and His messengers and say, "We believe in some and disbelieve in others," and wish to adopt a way in between -

4.151 Those are the disbelievers, truly. And We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating punishment.

4.152 But they who believe in Allah and His messengers and do not discriminate between any of them - to those He is going to give their rewards. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

Of course the belief alone is not enought to save you from Hell.
You enter with God's Mercy but you should : have the faith, do good deeds, struggle (patience when you have difficulties, forgiving people etc...)

You'll find many verses in the Quran saying that you should believe+do good deeds :

29.7 And those who believe and do righteous deeds - We will surely remove from them their misdeeds and will surely reward them according to the best of what they used to do.

4.173 And as for those who believed and did righteous deeds, He will give them in full their rewards and grant them extra from His bounty.

The believer enters in Paradise because of his work in this life, added to the belief it was asked to him (depend in which period he lived ) and of course by God's Mercy.

84.-8 Then as for he who is given his record in his right hand, He will be judged with an easy account

53.36-37 Or has he not been informed of what was in the scriptures of Moses And [of] Abraham, who fulfilled [his obligations] -
53.38 That no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another

53.39-40 And that there is not for man except that [good] for which he strives And that his effort is going to be seen -*

(*in the day of Judgement)

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Can you show me from the Quran where it says that, please? :)

8.38 Say to those who have disbelieved [that] if they cease, what has previously occurred will be forgiven for them.

25.70 Except for those who repent, believe and do righteous work. For them Allah will replace their evil deeds with good. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

wizanda

Premium Member
Thank you everyone. :)

When it references 'believers', that includes Allah, the Torah/Tanakh, the Gospel, the Quran, the prophets, and Judgement day?

Can you help expand that list, as there are loads of things that the Quran tells us that we must believe in?

Within accepting Islam, does it include 'repentance for forgiveness of sin'?

..... :innocent:

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member

When it references 'believers', that includes Allah, the Torah/Tanakh, the Gospel, the Quran, the prophets, and Judgement day?

Can you help expand that list, as there are loads of things that the Quran tells us that we must believe in?

..... :innocent:
2:285
The Messenger has believed in what was revealed to him from his Lord, and [so have] the believers. All of them have believed in Allah and His angels and His books and His messengers, [saying], "We make no distinction between any of His messengers." And they say, "We hear and we obey. [We seek] Your forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the [final] destination."

4:116
Indeed, Allah does not forgive association with Him, but He forgives what is less than that for whom He wills. And he who associates others with Allah has certainly gone far astray.

from http://quran.com/

Pastek

Sunni muslim

You're welcome.

In the Quran when God talks about the "believers" they are in general the muslims who accept Allah (as the only God) and the previous Books which are what you said (Psalms & scrolls of Abraham too ) and other things like the angels, the devil ... etc

I'm not sure i've understand your other question about repentance. But if you're asking about how a muslim may remove his sins it's by fasting (the days of Ashura and Arafat in particular), by asking forgiveness, going to Hajj ... also patience when people are ill (Allah may remove some of our sins) ...

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

Peace be on you.
In addition to basics, what you have mentioned, there are other things too on explanatory level:
Six main Articles of faith in Islam

The Five Pillars of Islam (Declaration of the Islamic Faith)

In order to enter into the fold of Islam i.e. to be Muslim, one has to know, believe, accept totally and sincerely apply the five basic principles (Pillars) on which Islam is based: Ibn Umar narrated that the Messenger of Allah - Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) said: Islam is based on the following five pillars (principles).

1. Bearing witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah
  2. Observance of Prayer
  3. Paying Zakat
  4. Fasting during Ramadhan
  5. Pilgrimage to the house of Allah.
Ref: https://www.alislam.org/islam/
[Ahmadiyya-Muslim resources]

Within accepting Islam, does it include 'repentance for forgiveness of sin'?..... :innocent:
Coming to Islam coming to Allah, and leaving the old baggage.
The word "Taba" means He returned, Tauba is repentance.
Person returns to God, God returns to seeker.

[2:38] Then Adam learnt from his Lord certain words of prayer. So He turned towards him with mercy. Surely, He is Oft-Returning with compassion, and is Merciful.

page 107 @ https://www.alislam.org/quran/dictionary/dictionary_quran.pdf

Only coming in Islam is not enough, then more strength is needed to keep afloat.
Person continues to seek Divine help for survival and spiritual enhancement:
https://www.alislam.org/friday-sermon/2012-01-13.html

Extra: Explanations about basics @ https://www.alislam.org/books/study-of-islam/introduction.html

Tomorrows_Child

You are aware i can show the gospel of John is a forgery? As had already given you all the links. :innocent:

So Muhammad gives salvation by believing in him, can you show me the Surah where it states that please? :)

It may well be but a forgery from where? Also, I didn't just quote the Gospel of John, as you know if you read my post.

Also, a lot of people on here have already quoted verses in the Quran which tell us to follow Muhammad PBUH and thus follow God and all monotheistic religions believe salvation comes through God. I feel there is no point in posting verses which have already been posted several times.

wizanda

Premium Member
Also, a lot of people on here have already quoted verses in the Quran which tell us to follow Muhammad PBUH and thus follow God and all monotheistic religions believe salvation comes through God.
Yeah 'salvation only comes from God' is what I'm questioning.....

Some people seem to think 'salvation comes from Muhammad'; yet clearly from what has been posted, they're saying believe the message of Allah, delivered by all the prophets.

We're to believe the message of Islam throughout the prophets; not believe in the messengers....Otherwise to me, that is idolatry.

So wondering if the Quran is specific, that Muhammad warned, 'don't worship me, worship the creator; don't believe in me, believe in the message of all the prophets'.

From the responses of the Quran it appears to be this way; yet in a world full of idolatry, questioning what you all state you believe in, and the evidence behind it.

So still open to everyone on the specifics, as when Muslims raise up Muhammad above the message of Allah, is that wrong according to Islam?

When people think they get salvation simply by believing in Muhammad (copying Christianity), and not following the message within the Quran, is that wrong according to Islam? :innocent:

Pastek

Sunni muslim
From the responses of the Quran it appears to be this way; yet in a world full of idolatry, questioning what you all state you believe in, and the evidence behind it.

So still open to everyone on the specifics, as when Muslims raise up Muhammad above the message of Allah, is that wrong according to Islam?

When people think they get salvation simply by believing in Muhammad (copying Christianity), and not following the message within the Quran, is that wrong according to Islam? :innocent:

Of course you may find some muslims who exagerate and fall in shirk.
Some pray the Prophet, others pray the companions, saints etc ...

For exemple in KSA they prefer people don't go to the graves. Many pilgrims want to see where are Khadija, Aisha and companions's graves.
I've heard they even destroyed some graves ( i think of Khadija and others) fearing that people start to worship them (to ask them to intercede for us for ex which is forbidden).

You can see some radical groups doing this too, they destroyed the tomb of prophet Jonas in Ninive in 2014 !

I think muslims in general are aware that people may exagerate in their respect/praise/love etc but they also exagerate in a way in destroying the tombs.

The prophet Muhammad (saw) said :

“Do not exaggerate in praising me as the Christians praised the son of Mary, for I am only a Slave*. So, call me the Slave of Allah and His Messenger.”
(Bukhari)

* in arabic ('abd) it can be translated as slave, servant, human

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa/7702

Tomorrows_Child

Yeah 'salvation only comes from God' is what I'm questioning.....

Some people seem to think 'salvation comes from Muhammad'; yet clearly from what has been posted, they're saying believe the message of Allah, delivered by all the prophets.

We're to believe the message of Islam throughout the prophets; not believe in the messengers....Otherwise to me, that is idolatry.

So wondering if the Quran is specific, that Muhammad warned, 'don't worship me, worship the creator; don't believe in me, believe in the message of all the prophets'.

You will never find a Muslim who states he believes in Muhammad PBUH but does not follow the Quran, that is quite literally the basis of the religion, so it's a question that holds no importance in Islam, as one can not be a Muslims without believing in the word of God but we must also believe that Muhammad was the messenger PBUH, otherwise the Quran would not be here.

You're trying to argue a point which is entirely moot in Islam.

And what Muslims in their right mind "raise up Muhammad above the message of Allah"? We love and respect Prophet Muhammad PBUH because of the message of Islam and because Allah Himself states in the Quran, that He sends His praise upon Muhammad PBUH, so we should do the same but that is not to equate the messenger with Allah or to put him above God Almighty, it is to simply understand the respect and love that we have, because without our Prophet's sacrifice and obedience, Islam would not be here today.