• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Qur'an Deny the Crucifixion of Jesus?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
This is certainly the belief of most Muslims. But is this belief really justified by the words of the Qur'an?

Let's look at the most relevant passage:
That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not ( Qur'an 4:157, Yusuf Ali translation)
The "they" in question here refers to the Jews as is made clear in the preceding verses.

At first glance this does seem to deny that Jesus was put to death on the Cross which would contradict the Bible and Christian teaching. But let's look more closely at what is actually being said. The passage does NOT say Jesus did not die nor that he was not crucified. It simply says the Jewish claim to have crucified and killed Christ is false. The Bible and Christians would agree for it was not the Jews who put Jesus to death on the Cross but the Romans.

The phrase "but so it was made to appear to them" has led to Muslim belief that someone else was placed on the cross besides Jesus. It should be stated emphatically that in no place in the Qur'an is this idea ever stated. It is simply a means of interpreting that part of the verse.

It is often stated by Muslims that God would not allow a prophet to die in such a manner and that is why Jesus was spared this fate. Yet just a few verses before this the Qur'an states:
(They have incurred divine displeasure): In that they broke their covenant; that they rejected the signs of Allah; that they slew the Messengers in defiance of right; that they said, "Our hearts are the wrappings (which preserve Allah's Word; We need no more)";- Nay, Allah hath set the seal on their hearts for their blasphemy, and little is it they believe (4:155, my emphasis)
So the Qur'an affirms prophets have died in the way of God. Moreover, in both Islam and Christianity, it is considered one of the highest honors to die the death of a martyr. If an ordinary believer would be willing to die in such a manner certainly a prophet or messenger would be even more willing to do so. To have someone die in one's place would not be noble but a cowardly act, not in the character of a true prophet or messenger of God.

(more to come on this subject)

Pastek

Sunni muslim
How you explain the other part of the verse ?

but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge (4.157)

It is often stated by Muslims that God would not allow a prophet to die in such a manner and that is why Jesus was spared this fate. Yet just a few verses before this the Qur'an states.

That's because he was the Messiah, not just a prophet. Many prophets were killed (John the Baptist, Zacharias ...), they weren't saved by God. .
Also, the fact that the one who die crucified is supposed to be cursed, confirms the fact that Jesus can't die in that manner.
As he was supposed to be a signs for jews, the Messiah. How can they believe in him after that ?
And for many reasons, Jesus can't die for the sins of other. It would be a contradiction with the law established in the OT, the Qu'ran, and also it doesn't match with the teachings of Jesus.

So the Qur'an affirms prophets have died in the way of God. Moreover, in both Islam and Christianity, it is considered one of the highest honors to die the death of a martyr.

How do you explain the verse following ?

4.159 And there is none from the People of the Scripture but that he will surely believe in Jesus before his death. And on the Day of Resurrection he will be against them a witness.

Wich death then ? The verb is conjugated in the futur
If an ordinary believer would be willing to die in such a manner certainly a prophet or messenger would be even more willing to do so. To have someone die in one's place would not be noble but a cowardly act, not in the character of a true prophet or messenger of God.

I think that someone who accept to die instead of Jesus, is honored because he goes directly on paradise. So Jesus gave to him the statut of martyr.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
How you explain the other part of the verse ?

I was getting to that. I guess I will jump ahead and address that now. It could be interpreted to mean that while it appeared that Jesus was done away with on the Cross in fact he was not as proven by his resurrection.

That's because he was the Messiah, not just a prophet. Many prophets were killed (John the Baptist, Zacharias ...), they weren't saved by God.
Why does it make a difference he was the Messiah. I understand this makes a difference to Jews who believe the Messiah cannot die but why can't the Messiah die according to Islam?

Also, the fact that the one who die crucified is supposed to be cursed, confirms the fact that Jesus can't die in that manner.
Again, this comes from Jewish concerns, no?

As he was supposed to be a signs for jews, the Messiah. How can they believe in him after that ?
Well many did. All the first Christians were Jews.

And for many reasons, Jesus can't die for the sins of other. It would be a contradiction with the law established in the OT, the Qu'ran, and also it doesn't match with the teachings of Jesus.
I don't believe he died to pay for others sins either. But that's another subject.

How do you explain the verse following ?

4.159 And there is none from the People of the Scripture but that he will surely believe in Jesus before his death. And on the Day of Resurrection he will be against them a witness.
I would ask you the same thing! Because "People of the Book" includes Christians, both the Jews who believed as well as Gentiles, and Christians most assuredly believe in him!

Wich death then ? The verb is conjugated in the futur
which verb?

I think that someone who accept to die instead of Jesus, is honored because he goes directly on paradise. So Jesus gave to him the statut of martyr.
But the point I was making is that Jesus%

Last edited:

nazz

Doubting Thomas
In addition there are some other relevant passages in the Qur'an that should be examined.
Nothing did I tell them beyond what Thou didst bid me [to say]: `Worship God, [who is] my Sustainer as well as your Sustainer.' And I bore witness to what they did as long as I dwelt in their midst; but since Thou hast caused me to die, Thou alone hast been their keeper: for Thou art witness unto everything. (5:117, Muhammad Asad translation, my emphasis)
The context here is of Jesus speaking to God in the future after his death. He is clearly saying that since then God has been watching over his followers.

Many translations do differ from this and render the bolded portion as: "did take me, took me up, gathered me to Yourself", etc. But translators Shakir, Khan, Omar, and Ahmed all agree with Asad's rendering of "caused me to die":

al-Ma`idah 5:117

And indeed elsewhere in the Qur'an the same verb is used to indicate physical death.

This verse mirrors another where God is speaking to Jesus:
Lo! God said: "O Jesus! Verily, I shall cause thee to die, and shall exalt thee unto Me, and cleanse thee of [the presence of] those who are bent on denying the truth; and I shall place those who follow thee [far] above those who are bent on denying the truth, unto the Day of Resurrection. In the end, unto Me you all must return, and I shall judge between you with regard to all on which you were wont to differ. (3:55)
Here the context is more clear as the events it describes, placing Jesus' followers in an exalted position, already occurred and does not refer to some future event.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Why does it make a difference he was the Messiah. I understand this makes a difference to Jews who believe the Messiah cannot die but why can't the Messiah die according to Islam?

If he is called the Messiah, it has an importance.
He has a specific mission, which is not just calling people to believe in God.

Again, this comes from Jewish concerns, no?

No. As he have to come back, he has an importance for everybody.

Well many did. All the first Christians were Jews.

Yes, but were they the majority of the jewish people who believed or just some of them ? What the majority did ?

which verb?

"And there is none from the People of the Scripture but that he will surely believe in Jesus"

"will believe" , it's in the future.

horizon_mj1

What I do not understand is this: If the Divine can do anything including Miracles, why is it not possible the Crucifixion occurred and the Death of Christ on the Cross happened, including His Resurrection; thus in the eyes of some Prophets was not perceived as Death, due to the Resurrection? I apologize for this next question, for it is slightly off topic; Why is it that Christians thank Jesus of Nazareth died for their sins? Is it not yet obvious that the gift received from the suffering was to allow us to ask for forgiveness? Why is it that we choose to place limits on what Divinity can do?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
If he is called the Messiah, it has an importance.
He has a specific mission, which is not just calling people to believe in God.

I agree. But I am wondering what you as a Muslim see that specific mission as being? And how would his mission be interrupted by his death as opposed to simply being taken out of the world in a different way?

You need to realize the importance of the RESURRECTION. Christianity would not even exist were it not for belief in that.

No. As he have to come back, he has an importance for everybody.
But most Christians also believe he is coming back as he was raised from the dead. Both Christians and Muslims believe Jesus is alive. We just believe that he died and came back to life whereas you believe he never died.

Yes, but were they the majority of the jewish people who believed or just some of them ? What the majority did ?
The majority did not believe. And do you know why? Because Jesus DIED. Jews do not believe the Messiah can die. At least not before he complete his messianic mission which according to their view Jesus did not do.

"And there is none from the People of the Scripture but that he will surely believe in Jesus"

"will believe" , it's in the future.
Yes, it is odd I will admit. I can't say I really understand what that verse is trying to say. But how about addressing my point that People of the Book DO believe in Jesus now?

Last edited:

loverOfTruth

This is certainly the belief of most Muslims. But is this belief really justified by the words of the Qur'an?

Let's look at the most relevant passage:
That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not ( Qur'an 4:157, Yusuf Ali translation)
The "they" in question here refers to the Jews as is made clear in the preceding verses.

At first glance this does seem to deny that Jesus was put to death on the Cross which would contradict the Bible and Christian teaching. But let's look more closely at what is actually being said. The passage does NOT say Jesus did not die nor that he was not crucified. It simply says the Jewish claim to have crucified and killed Christ is false. The Bible and Christians would agree for it was not the Jews who put Jesus to death on the Cross but the Romans.

The phrase "but so it was made to appear to them" has led to Muslim belief that someone else was placed on the cross besides Jesus. It should be stated emphatically that in no place in the Qur'an is this idea ever stated. It is simply a means of interpreting that part of the verse.

It is often stated by Muslims that God would not allow a prophet to die in such a manner and that is why Jesus was spared this fate. Yet just a few verses before this the Qur'an states:
(They have incurred divine displeasure): In that they broke their covenant; that they rejected the signs of Allah; that they slew the Messengers in defiance of right; that they said, "Our hearts are the wrappings (which preserve Allah's Word; We need no more)";- Nay, Allah hath set the seal on their hearts for their blasphemy, and little is it they believe (4:155, my emphasis)
So the Qur'an affirms prophets have died in the way of God. Moreover, in both Islam and Christianity, it is considered one of the highest honors to die the death of a martyr. If an ordinary believer would be willing to die in such a manner certainly a prophet or messenger would be even more willing to do so. To have someone die in one's place would not be noble but a cowardly act, not in the character of a true prophet or messenger of God.

(more to come on this subject)

How conveniently you stopped before the next verse which clearly states :
"Nay, Allah raised him(Jesus) up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise;-" (Al Qur'an 4:158)
and
And there is none of the People of the Book but must believe in him before his death; and on the Day of Judgment he(Jesus) will be a witness against them;-
(Al Qur'an 4:159)

So regardless of who you claim that 'they' are. He did not die but rather God raised him up as is evident from the above 2 verses.

Peace.

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

"Nay, Allah raised him(Jesus) up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise;-" (Al Qur'an 4:158)
and
And there is none of the People of the Book but must believe in him before his death; and on the Day of Judgment he(Jesus) will be a witness against them;-

So regardless of who you claim that 'they' are. He did not die bur rather God raised him up as is evident from the above 2 verses.

Peace.

Dear loverOfTruth,

You have said:

"So regardless of who you claim that 'they' are. He did not die bur rather God raised him up as is evident from the above 2 verses."

But please let's remember the following verse of Quran:

"And say not of those who are slain in God's cause, "They are dead": nay, they are alive, but you perceive it not." (Quran 2:154)
al-Baqarah 2:154

The above verse means, that if Jesus was killed on the cross( which Quran does not deny!), He is still alive in a spiritual world of God.
Moreover, God is a spirit according to Quran and Bible.
And according to Quran and Bible, we all have spirit as well as physical body.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
What I do not understand is this: If the Divine can do anything including Miracles, why is it not possible the Crucifixion occurred and the Death of Christ on the Cross happened, including His Resurrection; thus in the eyes of some Prophets was not perceived as Death, due to the Resurrection?

That is basically what I am arguing. I don't think the Qur'an has to be interpreted as contradicting the Christian version of events.

I apologize for this next question, for it is slightly off topic; Why is it that Christians thank Jesus of Nazareth died for their sins? Is it not yet obvious that the gift received from the suffering was to allow us to ask for forgiveness? Why is it that we choose to place limits on what Divinity can do?
I don't believe Jesus died to pay for everyone's sins. I think his death was a consequence of his mission, not the purpose of it. But as you say that is off topic to this particular discussion.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
and

So regardless of who you claim that 'they' are. He did not die but rather God raised him up as is evident from the above 2 verses.

Peace.

I m not ignoring anything. If you read through the thread you will see I addressed these things. God DID raise Jesus up to himself in my belief. All Christians believe that.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Dear loverOfTruth,

You have said:

"So regardless of who you claim that 'they' are. He did not die bur rather God raised him up as is evident from the above 2 verses."

But please let's remember the following verse of Quran:

"And say not of those who are slain in God's cause, "They are dead": nay, they are alive, but you perceive it not." (Quran 2:154)
al-Baqarah 2:154

The above verse means, that if Jesus was killed on the cross( which Quran does not deny!), He is still alive in a spiritual world of God.
Moreover, God is a spirit according to Quran and Bible.
And according to Quran and Bible, we all have spirit as well as physical body.

I'm curious. Is it Baha'i belief Jesus was crucified?

horizon_mj1

I am not positive (I am not fully Baha'i, but am familiar and adhere to some of their beliefs) but I am pretty sure they believe in all Deities and Apostles from All Religions.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Let me make one thing perfectly clear. It is not my intent to say the Qur'an CANNOT be interpreted as saying Jesus was never crucified. Certainly it CAN be and historically that is how it has usually been interpreted by Muslims. But my point is that it doesn't HAVE to be interpreted in that way. So why is there a need to deliberately interpret it in a way that contradicts the Bible? Considering the fact that the Qur'an affirms the truth of the previously revealed Scriptures does it not make sense to look for ways to harmonize the Qur'an with those previous revelations? If a Muslim were to believe that Jesus died on the Cross but was subsequently raised up by God I don't see any problem with that. It doesn't go against any of the principles of the Islamic faith that I can see.

loverOfTruth

I m not ignoring anything. If you read through the thread you will see I addressed these things. God DID raise Jesus up to himself in my belief. All Christians believe that.

Read that altogether : " For surely they killed him not (Jesus, son of Mary). But God raised him (Jesus) up unto Himself." - what you are doing is quote mining. You are adding your words into God's words to say what you want. Muslims don't add/subtract anything to God's word unlike some other people.

Plus, continue reading from where you left off and you will find :
"O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.

Christ disdaineth nor to serve and worship Allah, nor do the angels, those nearest (to Allah): those who disdain His worship and are arrogant,-He will gather them all together unto Himself to (answer)." (Al Qur'an 4:171-172)

Peace.

Last edited:

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Read that altogether : " For surely they killed him not (Jesus, son of Mary). But God raised him (Jesus) up unto Himself." - what you are doing is quote mining.

You are adding your words into God's words to say what you want. Muslims don't add/subtract anything to God's word unlike some other people.

I'm not adding anything. I am interpreting the words. Just as you are.

Why is it so important to you to believe Jesus was not crucified?

Plus, continue reading from where you left off and you will find :
"O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.

Christ disdaineth nor to serve and worship Allah, nor do the angels, those nearest (to Allah): those who disdain His worship and are arrogant,-He will gather them all together unto Himself to (answer)." (Al Qur'an 4:171-172)

What does any of that have to do with this subject?

loverOfTruth

I'm not adding anything. I am interpreting the words. Just as you are.

If God meant, Jews didn't Kill Jesus, someone else did and then I raised Jesus up - He(God) would have said so. So clearly God doesn't say that in the Qur'an - you are inserting the 'someone else killed him' part on your own.

But I am not surprised given you interpret "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one." (Mark 12:29) to say God is 3 in 1.

Why is it so important to you to believe Jesus was not crucified?
Whether Jesus got crucified or not wouldn't make any difference to Islamic theology. But it is important to keep God's word pure and not change it to say what it doesn't say. That's all we are doing.

What does any of that have to do with this subject?

When you are using the Qur'an to justify Christian position of Crucifixion, you should may be read a little more where it absolutely disagrees with the Christian theology so you are not surprised that the same God would say something totally against what the Bible says. That's all - nothing serious.

Peace.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
If God meant, Jews didn't Kill Jesus, someone else did and then I raised Jesus up - He(God) would have said so. So clearly God doesn't say that in the Qur'an - you are inserting the 'someone else killed him' part on your own.

The Qur'an does not say someone else did not kill him either. So don't put those words in Gods mouth.

;)

But I am not surprised given you interpret "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one." (Mark 12:29) to say God is 3 in 1.
Where have I said that?

Whether Jesus got crucified or not wouldn't make any difference to Islamic theology. But it is important to keep God's word pure and not change it to say what it doesn't say. That's all we are doing.
No, you are doing more than that, IMO. Let's just leave it as saying what it does. The Jewish claim to have crucified and killed Jesus is false. Of course I have never heard any Jew make that claim!

When you are using the Qur'an to justify Christian position of Crucifixion, you should may be read a little more where it absolutely disagrees with the Christian theology so you are not surprised that the same God would say something totally against what the Bible says. That's all - nothing serious.
I don't have a problem with the Qur'an contradicting Christian theology. I do so all the time myself. I just don't see a need to claim it is doing so in this case.

loverOfTruth

The Qur'an does not say someone else did not kill him either. So don't put those words in Gods mouth.

;)
Quite on the contrary. That's like saying Qur'an did not say 'person XYZ has not been murdered' - so don't put those words in Gods mouth and say that 'person XYZ has not been murdered' even though XYZ is happily alive. You are free to believe someone else killed Jesus but that wouldn't have anything to do with the Qur'an.

We believe that the Jews conspired to kill Jesus (no one else) so according to that interpretation we are not adding anything to God's word. So it reads as follows - they(Jews) tried to kill Jesus, but they could not kill him neither crucify him, rather God raised him - we are not adding/inserting any assumptions here. As it reads :

"We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise" (Al Qur'an 4:157-158)

And once again, when Allah speaks of the story of Jesus(pbuh) in Chapter 3 (starting from around verse 45) He says : "Behold! Allah said: "O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme;..."(Al Qur'an 3:55)

Once again plain and simple ... God takes Jesus to Him by Raising Jesus to Himself. And Allah clearly states what He will do to Jesus. Did He forget to mention that he will die in the process too (God forbid)? And notice there is no 'They' for a specific group of people here - it is for all.

Sen McGlinn

Bahais believe that Jesus sacrificed himself on the Cross, and that his sacrifice was efficacious. Baha'u'llah writes:

Know thou that when the Son of Man yielded up His breath to God, the whole creation wept with a great weeping. By sacrificing Himself, however, a fresh capacity was infused into all created things. Its evidences, as witnessed in all the peoples of the earth, are now manifest before thee. The deepest wisdom which the sages have uttered, the profoundest learning which any mind hath unfolded, the arts which the ablest hands have produced, the influence 86 exerted by the most potent of rulers, are but manifestations of the quickening power released by His transcendent, His all-pervasive, and resplendent Spirit.

We testify that when He came into the world, He shed the splendor of His glory upon all created things. Through Him the leper recovered from the leprosy of perversity and ignorance. Through Him, the unchaste and wayward were healed. Through His power, born of Almighty God, the eyes of the blind were opened, and the soul of the sinner sanctified.

(Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 85)