• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Present Exist?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I like saying the past no longer exists and the future has yet to exist.

Does the present exist? I've heard some say the present we experience is actually gone, in the past by a few milliseconds by the time we become aware of it. So what we experience as "now" happened in the past which stop existing a millisecond or so ago.

5478405393_e52d24b4b1_z.width-800.jpg

If no past, present or future exists for us, what does exist? o_O

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I think that although for practical purposes we can understand time in terms of there being a past, present and future I think that time itself is ineffable to us humans.

74x12

Does the present exist? I've heard some say the present we experience is actually gone, in the past by a few milliseconds by the time we become aware of it. So what we experience as "now" happened in the past which stop existing a millisecond or so ago.

The only thing properly existing to you is your constant stream of consciousness. So yes I would say somewhere somehow the present exists.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Wonderful! The present exists imo but way too fast for us to notice it. Too bad, really!

74x12

I wonder what quantum mechanics and consciousness have to do with time travel. Perhaps on a subconscious level we're all time traveling a little bit and don't know it.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Does an inch exist? After all, any time anyone measures it, there is some degree of error. The probability of measuring one inch exactly is infinitesimally small - one could perhaps say zero. So in what sense can an inch be said to exist? :eek:

This argument about whether the present "exists" seems to me to be equally footling.

QuestioningMind

Actually I'd say that the present is the only thing that really exists, since the past only exists as memory and the future only exists as anticipation.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I wonder what quantum mechanics and consciousness have to do with time travel. Perhaps on a subconscious level we're all time traveling a little bit and don't know it.
Quantum mechanics has bugger all to do with it. I don't know about consciousness.:D

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe it. In two ways we are. Sensitive people can feel the future. And physically, are we not traveling very fast regarding the spin of the Earth and its orbit?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I believe it. In two ways we are. Sensitive people can feel the future. And physically, are we not traveling very fast regarding the spin of the Earth and its orbit?
What has the speed of rotation of the earth to do with time travel?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Does an inch exist? After all, any time anyone measures it, there is some degree of error. The probability of measuring one inch exactly is infinitesimally small - one could perhaps say zero. So in what sense can an inch be said to exist? :eek:

This argument about whether the present "exists" seems to me to be equally footling.

I like being footling. Philosophy in general seems to be footling. :D

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually I'd say that the present is the only thing that really exists, since the past only exists as memory and the future only exists as anticipation.
THAT! "Anticipation" is real philosophy. I think it means that we are subject to the future. Exciting! Isn't it?

Just so you know, (because I like you) I might call that same thing "expectation" and not "anticipation".

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think that although for practical purposes we can understand time in terms of there being a past, present and future I think that time itself is ineffable to us humans.

Although I tend to question time's existence, it seems a necessary part of physics.
Could physics exist if time doesn't? :confused: