• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Pain in your life alter your Choices????

Bird123

When it hurts, do you run from pain? When it hurts, do you treat others mean or ugly? When it hurts, do you give up and get depressed? When it hurts, do you hide from others so they do not see you hurting? When it hurts, do you pray to God to take the pain away? Does your religion teach you to do this? Does pain freeze you into inactivity?

Pain is no more than an indication something is wrong. Will you ignore pain in an effort to solve the underlying cause? Will you ignore pain in order to show others Love and Kindness? Would you be willing to go through great pain and adversity in order that someone else learns, grows and understands? Would you be willing to go through pain and adversity in order to help others?

As I see it. Pain is a big one. One can choose to let pain rule one's choices and actions or one can choose to see pain for what it really is.

We all have the power to choose regardless of what happens or the actions of others. As I see it. Choice is a valuable gift. One should never allow anything to intimidate our choices and that includes pain.

As I see it, one can only reach a Higher Level through choices. Sometimes the best choice is to hurt in order to make things better.

I think it's OK to pray and cry to God when there is pain. On the other hand, I would not expect God to solve those problems especially when everyone learns and grows overcoming adversity. There are many lessons among us all. It has never been only about our pain.

Once again, pain is only an indication something is wrong. Since we learn and grow through adversity, we were never expected never to hurt or feel pain. As I see it. It's what one chooses to do after one hurts that counts.

How about you? Does pain alter your choices in life? Do you allow this to happen?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When it hurts, do you run from pain? When it hurts, do you treat others mean or ugly? When it hurts, do you give up and get depressed? When it hurts, do you hide from others so they do not see you hurting? When it hurts, do you pray to God to take the pain away? Does your religion teach you to do this? Does pain freeze you into inactivity?

Pain is no more than an indication something is wrong. Will you ignore pain in an effort to solve the underlying cause? Will you ignore pain in order to show others Love and Kindness? Would you be willing to go through great pain and adversity in order that someone else learns, grows and understands? Would you be willing to go through pain and adversity in order to help others?

As I see it. Pain is a big one. One can choose to let pain rule one's choices and actions or one can choose to see pain for what it really is.

We all have the power to choose regardless of what happens or the actions of others. As I see it. Choice is a valuable gift. One should never allow anything to intimidate our choices and that includes pain.

As I see it, one can only reach a Higher Level through choices. Sometimes the best choice is to hurt in order to make things better.

I think it's OK to pray and cry to God when there is pain. On the other hand, I would not expect God to solve those problems especially when everyone learns and grows overcoming adversity. There are many lessons among us all. It has never been only about our pain.

Once again, pain is only an indication something is wrong. Since we learn and grow through adversity, we were never expected never to hurt or feel pain. As I see it. It's what one chooses to do after one hurts that counts.

How about you? Does pain alter your choices in life? Do you allow this to happen?
Well pain is obviously a reality. In fact, the first Noble Truth points it out. Life is pain.

Given that as it is, I think it's all in the approach on what you do with it whenever pain crops up.

There's a saying you run toward things that scare you the most.

I figure if you understand pain better, then it should be easier to traverse through it and deal with it rather than enduring a type of trauma brought about through continual avoidence of something that is an aspect of who we are.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Are we talking about BDSM here because I got a lot of pains in areas I feel that need no mentioning at the moment. Really tough finding a dominatrix that can hurt ya good ;)

InChrist

Free4ever
As uncomfortable as it is, I think pain is a very important indicator and warning that something is wrong. Paying attention to initial pain, asking questions and seeking wisdom and answers can prevent further damage. I once heard a talk by Dr Paul Brand on this subject. He was a doctor who discovered that most injuries of leprosy patients was due to the pain insensitivity they experienced and not because the disease itself caused fingers and toes to fall off. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Brand

He wrote a book you may find interesting if you haven't read it, Pain: The Gift Nobody Wants...
https://www.amazon.com/Pain-Nobody-...7086291&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Gift+Nobody+Wants

Bird123

Well pain is obviously a reality. In fact, the first Noble Truth points it out. Life is pain.

Given that as it is, I think it's all in the approach on what you do with it whenever pain crops up.

There's a saying you run toward things that scare you the most.

I figure if you understand pain better, then it should be easier to traverse through it and deal with it rather than enduring a type of trauma brought about through continual avoidence of something that is an aspect of who we are.

Yes, understanding is the key. Understanding works much better than simply reacting to pain thereby running from it.

Bird123

Are we talking about BDSM here because I got a lot of pains in areas I feel that need no mentioning at the moment. Really tough finding a dominatrix that can hurt ya good ;)

In that case you might analyze why you like being hurt so much. Perhaps, it's time to Discover who you really are.

Bird123

As uncomfortable as it is, I think pain is a very important indicator and warning that something is wrong. Paying attention to initial pain, asking questions and seeking wisdom and answers can prevent further damage. I once heard a talk by Dr Paul Brand on this subject. He was a doctor who discovered that most injuries of leprosy patients was due to the pain insensitivity they experienced and not because the disease itself caused fingers and toes to fall off. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Brand

He wrote a book you may find interesting if you haven't read it, Pain: The Gift Nobody Wants...
https://www.amazon.com/Pain-Nobody-...7086291&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Gift+Nobody+Wants

You are right. If pain never existed, we would find ourselves in big trouble before very long.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Well I suffer from depression but at the end of the day I come to terms with my sorrows and just tackle it face on.

I find no merit in smoke and mirrors and no hope knowing that I can create the world around me to be a lie and watch reality pass me by. If pain is all that I feel I would at least want to know it's real and not treat the current moment like a last meal. This is important to me as the reality I perceive will end up being all that I see. But it is true we all have the power to choose no different then how we select our shoes. But it can be dangerous to take pain and conflate what can sometimes linger so long and find something else to alternate.

To me praying to a god puts my pain at ease and stop world making it freeze. What has once lingered upon me and annoyed is not rid of my soul and destroyed. That to me can be the power of a god because everytime I pray I can come to terms that I am odd. Being free of all the agony and pain that has made me stressed ultimately feels as if somebody has lifted the burden from my chest.

This is how I feel when I am depressed.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I'm pretty inactive because of pain. It bothers me that I know I'm not as interactive with my family as they would like me to be.

While I'm not impaired physically, pain really saps your resolve to do the things that cause you pain. It does get depressing sometimes so I try not to think about it.

Do I allow it to happen? I try to be active for my family but I guess there's a limit. Unfortunately the more active I get the more painful it becomes. To the point I can't even lie down to sleep and escape the pain for a while. I get grouchy and angry and want to be left alone.

There's a potential fix for my pain but it's costly and I have to keep fighting with my insurance t get approval. Everytime I deal with one issue they came up with another.

In fact about a year ago I gave up. Most doctors said there was nothing they could do.

I decided to try again and found a doctor eventually who believes he can alleviate most of the pain at least temporarily. Six months to a few years but I'll be able to go places and do things with my family for a while longer.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

My aunt passed away last week. Ive been in deep pain ever since. One thought came to mind is that we all go through pain the minute we are born: birth, age, sickness, and death. The four noble truths. This pain after the shock I get to reflect how The Buddha's Dharma works on a personal basis. I can "see" The Dharma at work.

With that, slowly my choices are geared towards a peaceful death while easing myself through the pain in life. (That means no sweets but exercise!) From a Buddhist perspective, it goes further. Everything goes in a cycle. Nothing just appears nor disappears. Im leaning towards the Tibetan notion that we are all strings of being without a soul. Our actions judge how we live from one cycle (say age cycle) to the next. In this tradition and most we are reborn until pain/dukkha stops. No more any type of pain.

We finally die.

We end attachments to this world so we will die. Through good moral discipline, meditation, and wisdom we act towards that goal.

Pain does alter my choices. As long as Im conscious of how to relate it to The Dharma and vis versa I can learn from it, watch it, and see it disolve. Grieving shows this process in action. All life goes through that process.

Okay. I can write a book. Shot answer: yes

Last edited:

Phantasman

Pain is nothing more than a realization to the flesh that it was created imperfect and reminds us of it's imperfection.

Anguish, on the other hand, is spiritual pain of the soul. This pain is alleviated through spiritual truth giving hope through faith. The more we understand, the more elated the soul becomes.

There is no pain in perfect. Fear is a false motivator which is what fear means: False Evidence Appearing Real.

Gnosis (spiritual knowledge) identifies both and how we understand and deal with it in this Aeon (physical realm).

Pain is a result of the absence of love. Same with sin.

Mark 2:
Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?

Man was never perfect, as Adam felt pain before Eve was created when he was alone.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
So much learning comes through adversity. You are right. The learning and growing needs to continue until all the lessons are learned.

Yeah how many of us are born in ideal circumstances. Adversity becomes our teacher. Pain is for a reason. Sometimes it can be rectified, other kinds of pain can't.

But we can all heal the wounds, and live with the scars I like to think.

Bird123

Well I suffer from depression but at the end of the day I come to terms with my sorrows and just tackle it face on.

I find no merit in smoke and mirrors and no hope knowing that I can create the world around me to be a lie and watch reality pass me by. If pain is all that I feel I would at least want to know it's real and not treat the current moment like a last meal. This is important to me as the reality I perceive will end up being all that I see. But it is true we all have the power to choose no different then how we select our shoes. But it can be dangerous to take pain and conflate what can sometimes linger so long and find something else to alternate.

To me praying to a god puts my pain at ease and stop world making it freeze. What has once lingered upon me and annoyed is not rid of my soul and destroyed. That to me can be the power of a god because everytime I pray I can come to terms that I am odd. Being free of all the agony and pain that has made me stressed ultimately feels as if somebody has lifted the burden from my chest.

This is how I feel when I am depressed.

Your quote:everytime I pray I can come to terms that I am odd. My Answer: How have you come to define odd? Who convinced you that you are odd?

Each person is different. There is no one in the universe exactly like each of us nor will there ever be. Is odd a correct definition for any one of us? Perhaps, the correct term is Unique.

As I see it, we are all placed in this world with great precision. Those around us are exactly who we need in our lives to learn our lessons. Further, we are all here to help others learn theirs. If one chooses not to be who they really are around those in our lives, how can the system work at it's best?

I think you are wise to opt for truth regardless of the pain or the outcome. It is the only real true path.

Bird123

I'm pretty inactive because of pain. It bothers me that I know I'm not as interactive with my family as they would like me to be.

While I'm not impaired physically, pain really saps your resolve to do the things that cause you pain. It does get depressing sometimes so I try not to think about it.

Do I allow it to happen? I try to be active for my family but I guess there's a limit. Unfortunately the more active I get the more painful it becomes. To the point I can't even lie down to sleep and escape the pain for a while. I get grouchy and angry and want to be left alone.

There's a potential fix for my pain but it's costly and I have to keep fighting with my insurance t get approval. Everytime I deal with one issue they came up with another.

In fact about a year ago I gave up. Most doctors said there was nothing they could do.

I decided to try again and found a doctor eventually who believes he can alleviate most of the pain at least temporarily. Six months to a few years but I'll be able to go places and do things with my family for a while longer.

Yes, I understand all the red tape that comes with modern medicine. I have found the old saying to be true: The wheel that squeaks the most gets the most grease. Persistence can pay off.

Pain is a thing of the mind. It can to a certain extent be controlled.

We are all Spiritual beings in our true natures. Interacting with family in a more spiritual way than physical can actually have better results. They could all be fighting to help just to have you around. Remember, everyone can touch others in some of the smallest and simplest ways that can last a lifetime. Let that family Feel how you really care instead of showing them your hurt.

I know a man crippled really badly, yet he will lift the spirits of all those around him. Looking at him physically, you would see him as helpless yet he changes the world for the better every day. I know this man is in pain. I have seen it in his eyes, however those around him never feel it.

When we are living the best of times, we never realize this until later. So often we focus on our pain and challenges. This can blind us to the beauty that does exist around us. Focus on the spiritual around you. No one can take that away.

I know it's not easy. On the other hand, few things really worthwhile come easy.

HeatherAnn

Yes, when I feel pain, it does tend to alter my choices, though I'm trying to be in control rather than have pain control me.
I'm blessed to not experience chronic pain, however, I do get monthly cramps really bad and I don't like taking pain med - even ibuprofen tends to make me feel a bit out of it. So, when I consciously realize that I might be tempted to be snappy or take out my pain on others, I am more careful not too - and more careful to take care of myself - to sit down and take little breaks when I can.

Bird, I really like how you mentioned pain is an indication that something is wrong. Sometimes, like in the case of monthly cramps (for many women), it is not really wrong, as much as a part of the monthly body cycle. Still, I think it is a time to be more gentle and caring to oneself. And I think often - usually - pain is an indication that something is wrong - physically, emotionally, socially etc. I believe that our bodies are amazingly intelligent - and are always trying to tell us how things are going - but there is a tendency to ignore these subtle messages, so then they become increasingly intense until it finally gets our attention. I do believe that dis-ease has multiple causal factors. Many are already aware of the significance of diet, genetics, lifestyle, exercise, sleep etc., but few realize the power of mind-body connection, despite placebo effect being the 1st test the FDA uses to determine medication effectiveness. So, with that in mind, if anyone's interested, a book like this searchable site has helped me in healing: Healing Affirmations - Metaphysical Causes of Disease and Illness

Focusing on emotional pain, I read a book (The Joy Diet) that explained how there are 2 types of pain: clean pain which is the direct result of being injured in some way, and dirty pain which is unnecessary burdening pain we add to the other pain in dwelling on it. What helps me to process emotions, harmonize thought and feeling and heal is to write or talk about how I feel - often just that simple step is all I need.

Bird123

My aunt passed away last week. Ive been in deep pain ever since. One thought came to mind is that we all go through pain the minute we are born: birth, age, sickness, and death. The four noble truths. This pain after the shock I get to reflect how The Buddha's Dharma works on a personal basis. I can "see" The Dharma at work.

With that, slowly my choices are geared towards a peaceful death while easing myself through the pain in life. (That means no sweets but exercise!) From a Buddhist perspective, it goes further. Everything goes in a cycle. Nothing just appears nor disappears. Im leaning towards the Tibetan notion that we are all strings of being without a soul. Our actions judge how we live from one cycle (say age cycle) to the next. In this tradition and most we are reborn until pain/dukkha stops. No more any type of pain.

We finally die.

We end attachments to this world so we will die. Through good moral discipline, meditation, and wisdom we act towards that goal.

Pain does alter my choices. As long as Ik conscious of how to relate it to The Dharma and vis versa I can learn from it, watch it, and see it disolve. Grjeving shows this process in action. All life goes through that process.

Okay. I can write a book. Shot answer: yes

Relationships can be sticky. It's so easy to hang onto those who make our lives feel good. We can become selfish, then hurt when it is time for them to move on. When the true love of my life died of cancer, I could see it was so easy to go down that wrong path.

Today, I celebrate the Gift she was in my life instead of any loss of her being gone. Like you said. I could not have learned nor grown as much without her influence.

Life is about living. It doesn't matter how or why one dies. it's what we do while we are here.

Since we are all Spiritual beings in our true natures, we are eternal. I have to believe that somewhere throughout eternity we are going to bump into those we have the most chemistry with again.

Bird123

Pain is nothing more than a realization to the flesh that it was created imperfect and reminds us of it's imperfection.

Anguish, on the other hand, is spiritual pain of the soul. This pain is alleviated through spiritual truth giving hope through faith. The more we understand, the more elated the soul becomes.

There is no pain in perfect. Fear is a false motivator which is what fear means: False Evidence Appearing Real.

Gnosis (spiritual knowledge) identifies both and how we understand and deal with it in this Aeon (physical realm).

Pain is a result of the absence of love. Same with sin.

Mark 2:
Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?

Man was never perfect, as Adam felt pain before Eve was created when he was alone.

You are right. So often Spiritual or mental pain is created by oneself.

As I see it. Sin is a creation of mankind and mankind's religions. As for perfection, we are all on the path toward perfection. It takes time to learn.

People get lonely for good reason. God guaranties our interaction with others with loneliness. It is a part of the system.