• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Mention Of God Offend You?

If it were up to you would you have 'God' taken off money/all courtroom walls?

• Total voters

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Does the reference to God on American money, The Pledge of Alleigance, in courtrooms across the nation and in multiple patriotic songs offend you? Would you prefer to have God taken off our money or references to God taken out of all courtrooms? If you had the choice would you remove them?

OR....

Do you feel that because America is predominantly a God fearing nation that these references should remain if you were given the choice to decide?

PS. For all you non Americans.....sorry this is such an exclusive poll. I don't know enough about foreign money to include everyone! :)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
It doesn't offend me, but it is not true for me. I do not trust in God, as it says on our money. I prefer the original Pledge of Allegiance, before "under God" was added in 1954. Since I am not a Christian, I do not feel that Christian law should rule in our courtrooms. I think that U.S., State and local laws should rule. Many Christians rail against what occurs when Islamic (Shariah) law rules in other countries; I can't understand why they feel that the results will be greatly different were the US to change over to Christian law (religious as opposed to secular). If that decision were made, then whose version of Christian law should prevail? Should there be no dancing? Should alcohol be banned? Which day will become the Sabbath, and what "work" will be acceptable? Do you want police, fire and ambulance workers to be prevented from doing their jobs because it is the Sabbath? What about hospitals and the doctors and nurses who work there? Prison guards?

And so on and so on and so on..........................................

My own 2c, of course.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I find myself in complete agreement with Engyo. Maybe he and I should found a political party.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I can't help but ditto what Engyo has said... he just said it too well, I've nothing to add. :D

While it doesn't offend me, I do wish they would get it off the blasted money. It's all good for you if you trust in God, but can't you do it somewhere other than on my money? I do find it pretty funny we have references to God on our money, though. In God We Trust... our money! In God We Trust to buy a wide-screen LCD TV! In God We Trust to get a brand new truck for Tommy! And so on and so forth. Perhaps if all records of our civilization were to be lost, people from the future would think we worshipped with our funny little pieces of paper that we pretend are actually worth something.

mr.guy

crapsack
The mere mention of God isn't really that offensive, but it's usually invoked pre-cursively to instruction on "what god wants"...

M

Majikthise

Buttercup said:
Does the reference to God on American money, The Pledge of Alleigance, in courtrooms across the nation and in multiple patriotic songs offend you? Would you prefer to have God taken off our money or references to God taken out of all courtrooms? If you had the choice would you remove them?

OR....

Do you feel that because America is predominantly a God fearing nation that these references should remain if you were given the choice to decide?

PS. For all you non Americans.....sorry this is such an exclusive poll. I don't know enough about foreign money to include everyone! :)

No , it doesn't bother me at all. So long as these things are not used to as "proof" that this is a christian nation.
You need more choices on the poll.:D

Buttercup

Veteran Member
It's tough to include all sides in an issue such as this but, the question is simply....would you remove references to God or keep them?

M

Majikthise

Buttercup said:
It's tough to include all sides in an issue such as this but, the question is simply....would you remove references to God or keep them?

What would give me authority to do so?

Ody

I don't neccesairly care, although the admittion of G-ds glory would behoove me.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
It doesn't offend me in the slightest.

I do, however, feel that the less God's name is used on things, the less blasphemy can occur. There is nothing for an atheist to fear in a court room that asks you to swear on the Bible. *shrugs*

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Majikthise said:
What would give me authority to do so?
I have no idea, but what a cool avatar. Scorpy rulz! I never understood why they canned Farscape........

Back on topic - OK, if I get to decide the entire question for the nation:

Take any reference to religion off the money. Too many people worship the money already as it is.

As for courtroom walls, lets put up copies of every legal code we can get our hands on, religious or secular! Let's have examples of how all societies throughout history have dealt with these questions to remind us just what we are about in our courtrooms. Anything which helps us to reflect deeply on what is happening there (whether it is profound or trite) can't be bad.

M

Majikthise

Engyo said:
I have no idea, but what a cool avatar. Scorpy rulz! I never understood why they canned Farscape........

I want to be just like him when I grow up! I guess the story just ended. I'm working on collecting the entire series on dvd a few episodes at a time. Used dvds on ebay are a lot cheaper than those box sets.

If By some chance I were to become Supreme Ruler of America, yes I would have some references to god removed but not all. Some artwork and sayings I actually like.
I would also let anyone freely practice any religion they please as long as they did not push it on anyone else or commit crimes in it's name. Just because I am an atheist doesn't mean I want everybody to think exactly like I do. Where's the fun in that?:D

M

Majikthise

Engyo said:
As for courtroom walls, lets put up copies of every legal code we can get our hands on, religious or secular! Let's have examples of how all societies throughout history have dealt with these questions to remind us just what we are about in our courtrooms. Anything which helps us to reflect deeply on what is happening there (whether it is profound or trite) can't be bad.

That , is an awsome idea.:clap