• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the bible describe what the devil/satan looks like

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Neither is a unicorn or a leprechaun but they are described to what they look like
Non-physical beings have no form, of course.

Where are you getting that leprechauns and unicorns were viewed as non-physical?

From Wikipedia:
"The leprechaun is said to be a solitary creature, whose principal occupation is making and cobbling shoes, and who enjoys practical jokes. In McAnally's 1888 account, the Leprechaun was not a professional cobbler, but was frequently seen mending his own shoes, as "he runs about so much he wears them out" with great frequency. This is, he claims, the perfect opportunity for a human being to capture the Leprechaun, refusing to release him until the Leprechaun gives his captor supernatural wealth."

Does that sound non-physical to you? People believed that they physically existed. They would just hide from people. The unicorn is just some legendary horse-like creature.

We Never Know

No Slack
Non-physical beings have no form, of course.

Where are you getting that leprechauns and unicorns were viewed as non-physical?

From Wikipedia:
"The leprechaun is said to be a solitary creature, whose principal occupation is making and cobbling shoes, and who enjoys practical jokes. In McAnally's 1888 account, the Leprechaun was not a professional cobbler, but was frequently seen mending his own shoes, as "he runs about so much he wears them out" with great frequency. This is, he claims, the perfect opportunity for a human being to capture the Leprechaun, refusing to release him until the Leprechaun gives his captor supernatural wealth."

Does that sound non-physical to you? People believed that they physically existed. They would just hide from people. The unicorn is just some legendary horse-like creature.

leprechaun, unicorn, a god, the devil,,,, they all belong in the make believe folder.

However there are people that claim to have seen god, probably some claim they have seen the devil.... They would have to exist to be seen.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
leprechaun, unicorn, a god, the devil,,,, they all belong in the make believe folder.

However there are people that claim to have seen god, probably some claim they have seen the devil.... They would have to exist to be seen.
That's your belief, but we're not talking about that. The point is that people didn't view those as non-physical beings.

That would depend on what those people mean. Usually people are speaking metaphorically of spiritual experiences, when they say that.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Objection your honor! :)
Satan is not mentioned in those verses.
Yes, you are right that Satan is Not mentioned by name at Ezekiel 28:13-17.
However, Satan is the one who was in Eden - verse 13.
Satan turned out to be the angelic cherub mentioned in verse 14.
Pride caused Satan's downfall - verse 15 B; James 1:13-15 - Satan wants our worship as he wanted with A&E.
He doesn't care if we die, but cares about our worshiping of him.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
However, Satan is the one who was in Eden - verse 13.

The cherub is a guard with a spinning blade at the gate.

The serpent is cursed to the ground eating dust.

How is the serpent supposed to spin a blade and guard the gate while it is on its belly?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.........However there are people that claim to have seen god, probably some claim they have seen the devil.... They would have to exist to be seen.
'Claim' but according to Scripture No one can see God..... - John 1:18; John 6:46; Exodus 33:20; 1st John 4:12

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The cherub is a guard with a spinning blade at the gate.
The serpent is cursed to the ground eating dust.
How is the serpent supposed to spin a blade and guard the gate while it is on its belly?
An inquiring mind wants to know, so please notice the plural used at Genesis 3:24 - cherubims - more than one.
These angelic guards appeared ' after ' the sinning of Satan and Adam.
So, Satan is Not the ones with the spinning blades.
Satan is addressed at Genesis 3:14-15
Since a mere snake would Not understand what had taken place, Satan as the Serpent is being addressed.
The expression ' eat dust ' simply means: death. To ' eat dust ' means one would die by eating dust. (a death sentence)
Sinner Satan does Not die before Jesus will destroy that original ' snake in the grass', so to speak - Hebrew 2:14 B
Jesus refers to Satan as the father (life giver) to the first lie at John 8:44, - see also Revelation 20:2 (1st lie is found at Gen. 3:4)
So, as a ventriloquist uses a dummy, Satan used a serpent.

Sargonski

Well, there's Rev 12:9. That's a decent candidate, although it's most likely not intended literally. In the hebrew bible satan is not the same concept as the Christian bible. There's a verse that has a sort of a version of the devil/satan in the hebrew bible. You might have heard of it? Samael? It's not written explicity, in theory, because having it written explicity invites uttering its name aloud which some will tell you summons it. I do not hold to that belief, and even if I did, I would never fear this "Samael".

Jeremiah 21:7​
ואחרי־כן נאם־יהוה אתן את־צדקיהו מלך־יהודה ואת־עבדיו ואת־העם ואת־הנשארים בעיר הזאת מן־הדבר מן־החרב ומן־הרעב ביד נבוכדראצר מלך־בבל וביד איביהם וביד מבקשי נפשם והכם לפי־חרב לא־יחוס עליהם ולא יחמל ולא ירחם׃
And afterward, says the Lord, I will deliver Zedekiah king of Judah, and his servants, and the people, and those who are left in this city from the pestilence, from the sword, and from the famine, to the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, and to the hand of their enemies, and into the hand of those who seek their life; and he shall strike them with the edge of the sword; he shall not spare them, nor have pity, nor have mercy.

It doesn't really have a description of what it looks like, but, this is a verse which has a description of what Samael does. There's another sort of "dark force" in the hebrew bible refered to as the 3 totally unclean k'lipoth. They're not described nor named explicity but they are alluded to in both Gen 1 and Isaiah 1.

Looking in Revelations for Images of the Ha Satan is down the wrong path from the start. Better to look to the Talking Donkey in Numbers 22:21:39 .. Here we see Ha -Satan doing Gods Bidding .. or go over to Job if you like .. one of the Son's of God -- again doing Gods will.

If you wish Ha Satan in the NT -- try the first page of the book - where Jesus after baptism must undergo a ritual Trial prior to gaining full half man -half God status --- The Son of man was tested by Ha Satan .. as that is the job of Ha-Satan .. doing God's will .. essentially the job of this "Sprite" .. and all his mighty and divine powers .. and Big time God status -- having power over the earth .. just as when YHWH was made Chief over the earth .. defeating the other Sons of God in Psalm 82 ..

What do you think the greatest of deceivers -- with major God Powers looks like ? .. and did you think He was going to show up with horns and a red cape by chance ?

Sargonski

An inquiring mind wants to know, so please notice the plural used at Genesis 3:24 - cherubims - more than one.
So, Satan is Not the ones with the spinning blades.
Satan is addressed at Genesis 3:14-15
Since a mere snake would Not understand what had taken place, Satan as the Serpent is being addressed.
The expression ' eat dust ' simply means: death. To ' eat dust ' means one would die by eating dust. (a death sentence)
Sinner Satan does Not die before Jesus will destroy that original ' snake in the grass', so to speak - Hebrew 2:14 B
Jesus refers to Satan as the father (life giver) to the first lie at John 8:44, - see also Revelation 20:2 (1st lie is found at Gen. 3:4)
So, as a ventriloquist uses a dummy, Satan used a serpent.

The Serpent in the Garden isn't Ha Satan .. is not the "Son of God" of Job who does God's bidding .. nor the tester of Jesus .. both with major God Powers .. nor Ha Satan showing up in numbers 22 with the Talking Donkey. .. again doing gods bidding them all

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
An inquiring mind wants to know

Naturally... :)

so please notice the plural used at Genesis 3:24 - cherubims - more than one.

Agreed.

Good! The cherubim are not Satan. Neither one.

Satan is Not the ones with the spinning blades.

Right. Satan is not one of the cherubim.

Ok. Not a cherub. Per what you wrote. Per scripture.

It's not a mere snake. It's name is Nachash ("נחש"), the most cunning beast of the field, a hayyah ha-sadeh.

והנחש היה ערום מכל חית השדה אשר עשה יהוה אלהים ויאמר אל־האשה אף כי־אמר אלהים לא תאכלו מכל עץ הגן׃

Now the Nachash was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, Has God said, you shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

Except that death has been referred to explicitly by scripture in the previous chapter. There's no reason to cloak it. If it's punishment was death, then, just as death is stated previously as a liability for transgression, death would be stated explicitly here.

Sinner Satan does Not die before Jesus...

Ohhhh.... You're forcing JC into the story.... Got it.

Let's skip that and go back to Ezekiel. Let's look at it together and see if there's anything which indicates something sinister in those verses which maybe allude to Satan since we agree it's not stated explicitly.

It's late here. I'll review the chapter you referred to and report back.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The Serpent in the Garden isn't Ha Satan .. is not the "Son of God" of Job who does God's bidding .. nor the tester of Jesus .. both with major God Powers .. nor Ha Satan showing up in numbers 22 with the Talking Donkey. .. again doing gods bidding them all
Revelation 12:12,9 does place HaSatan in the garden.
James 1:13-15 '... each one is tried by being drawn out by his own desire.' HaSatan desire is for humans to worship him.
HaSatan was not in conflict with fallen fleshly desires as we are. He chose to deliberately let his mind dwell or feed on wrong thoughts and ideas.

Sargonski

Revelation 12:12,9 does place HaSatan in the garden.
James 1:13-15 '... each one is tried by being drawn out by his own desire.' HaSatan desire is for humans to worship him.
HaSatan was not in conflict with fallen fleshly desires as we are. He chose to deliberately let his mind dwell or feed on wrong thoughts and ideas.

Nice quote from James but not one which tells us about Ha Satan .. .. who is not the Satan of Revelations friend.

You do not speak for Satan's desire .. nor for Gods purpose.. of which Satan is a fulfillment .. since you were not paying attention to all the previous description of our Friend

1) Talking Donkey Scene - Ha Satan doing Gods will
2) Job - Ha Satan - a Son of God .. making a friendly wager with his Father .. Satan - the Tester .. acting only within his Father's will .. just as Jesus acted only according to his Fathers will .. Ha Satan is depicted with great Godly Powers.. but subordinate to the Father .. as was the case with all the early Church Fathers -- all subordinatists.

3) The Tester of Jesus .. Doing his Job .. at the Behest of the Father .. who ordained that the Son of God would undergo such Ritual Testing prior to reciving the divine gift.

Satan is not againt God .. never depicted that way in the OT -- the whole Satan as leader of the army against God is a later invention .. one adopted to describe the dream the fellow of Revelations had .. a test called Spurious by Eusubius and others.. but not necessarily a view that I hold .. or need to hold to reject the depiction of Satan in Revelations .. or in the NT in general.

Let us just say it has become custom to frame Satan as against God .. but this is not the same "Son of God" depicted in Job .. Satan however is depicted as ruler over the Earth -- Chief God on Earth .. which is interesting .. for the reason that this was the position that YHWH was fighting for in the Bible. "Son of God - Chief God of Earth" .. as we read in Psalm 82 .. and alluded to throughout the OT .. but also was a real History .. represented by the Moabite Stone .. one of the Battles that YHWH loses on the way to the top..

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Ezekiel 28:13-17.

OK. Let's go through Ezekiel 28. My comments are in blue. You'll see that the verses cannot be describing Satan. There is a minor similarity at the end, but, then a distinction immediately follows. Also, the cherub mentioned is from Mt. Sinai, Exodus 25, not Eden Genesis 3.

28:1
And the word of the Lord came to me, saying:

28:2
Son of man, say to the prince of Tyre, Thus says the Lord God: Because your heart is raised, and you have said, I am a God, I sit in the seat of God, in the midst of the seas; yet you are a man, and not God, though you set your heart as the heart of God;

( This chapter is addressing the prince of Tyre. A man who claims to be a god. That's not Satan. )

28:3
Behold, you are wiser than Daniel; there is no secret that they can hide from you?

28:4
With your wisdom and with your understanding you have acquired your riches, and have gathered gold and silver into your treasures?

28:5
By your great wisdom and by your trading you have increased your riches, and your heart is raised because of your riches?

( The prince of Tyre has been greatly successful, and believes he did it via his own individual talent. )

28:6
Therefore thus says the Lord God: Because you have set your heart as the heart of God;

28:7
Behold, therefore I will bring foreigners upon you, the most terrible of the nations; and they shall draw their swords against the beauty of your wisdom, and they shall defile your brightness.

28:8
They shall bring you down to the pit, and you shall die the deaths of those who were slain in the midst of the seas.

( God will bring the prince of Tyre down to the pit and punish him. That's not Satan. )

28:9
Will you yet say before him who slays you, I am God? but you shall be a man, and no God, in the hand of him who slays you.

28:10
You shall die the deaths of the uncircumcised by the hand of foreigners; for I have spoken it, says the Lord God.

( God restates, The prince of Tyre is a man. That is not Satan. )

28:11
And the word of the Lord came to me, saying:

28:12
Son of man, raise a lamentation upon the king of Tyre, and say to him, Thus says the Lord God: You are a seal and a paragon, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty?

28:13
You have been in Eden the garden of God? every precious stone was your covering, the ruby, the crysolithe, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jade, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold? the workmanship of your settings and of your sockets was in you; in the day that you were created they were prepared?

( The point here is that the king of Tyre was NOT in eden. The king of Tyre was NOT covered with all of these precious stones. )

28:14
You are the anointed kerub that covers? and I have set you so; you were upon the holy mountain of God; you have walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire?

( The kerub that covers. That's the cherub produced from a single stock of gold which adorns the ark of testamony. )
( Exo 25:18 - And you shall make two kerubim of gold, of hammered workmanship shall you make them, in the two ends of the cover. )
( God is saying here that the king of Tyre is NOT made of Gold )

28:15
You were perfect in your ways from the day that you were created, till iniquity was found in you?

28:16
By the abundance of your goods they have filled your midst with violence, and you have sinned; therefore I have cast you as profane from the mountain of God; and I destroyed you, O covering kerub, from the midst of the stones of fire.

( God is saying the king of Tyre will be cast down. Again, notice its not the cherubim that guard in eden, they are the ones who are covering. )

28:17
Your heart was raised because of your beauty, you have corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor? I have cast you to the ground, I have laid you before kings, that they may behold you.

( Similar to the serpent in eden, yes, the king of Tyre is being cast to the ground. )

28:18
You have profaned your sanctuaries by the multitude of your iniquities, by the iniquity of your traffic; therefore I have brought forth a fire from your midst, it shall devour you, and I will bring you to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all those who behold you.

( Not like the serpent, the king of Tyre will be devoured. The serpent in eden was cursed to the ground, but it devours. )

28:19
All those who know you among the people shall be appalled at you; you have become a terror, and never shall you be any more.

( Generally people describe Satan as decepttive and charming, so, this is not Satan. )

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm asking those who claim to have seen him physically partially. Is he blue?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
28:8
They shall bring you down to the pit, and you shall die the deaths of those who were slain in the midst of the seas.
( God will bring the prince of Tyre down to the pit and punish him. That's not Satan. )
28:10
You shall die the deaths of the uncircumcised by the hand of foreigners; for I have spoken it, says the Lord God.
( God restates, The prince of Tyre is a man. That is not Satan. )
28:18
You have profaned your sanctuaries by the multitude of your iniquities, by the iniquity of your traffic; therefore I have brought forth a fire from your midst, it shall devour you, and I will bring you to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all those who behold you.
( Not like the serpent, the king of Tyre will be devoured. The serpent in eden was cursed to the ground, but it devours. )
28:19
All those who know you among the people shall be appalled at you; you have become a terror, and never shall you be any more.
( Generally people describe Satan as decepttive and charming, so, this is not Satan. )
Gehenna was a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed. so, down to the pit ( aka Gehenna )
No one is saying the Prince is Not a man, nor is Satan.
Yes, the King of Tyre was devoured aka dead. Satan will end up 'devoured' ( destroyed ) by Jesus - Hebrews 2:14 B
Satan will cease to exist for all time - Ezekiel 28:19; 27:36 - No resurrection for Satan.- Rev. 21:8
In Eze.2818 a sancutary was a sacred place, so Satan profaned his original sacredness or the given sacred position: a cherub.
The King of Tyre did not start out from a holy place as did cherub Satan.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
cherub Satan

Satan is not a cherub; you are making that up. The rest of what you wrote is irrelevant. The thread asked about Satan. You brought Eze 28. Eze 28 doesn't have Satan in it, as you've admitted and confirmed. Eze 28 has nothing to do with Satan. Satan has nothing to do with the cherubim.