• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
There is a list in the link, showing every one of the 356 prophecies and their fulfilment. This is well worth a look, as it provides irrefutable evidence that the Bible is a reliable historical document. No other historical figure ever came close to changing the world forever as Jesus Christ did.
Well, since there is a big group of believers in the same exact prophecy, who do not agree that Jesus fulfilled it, or that it has been fulfilled at all yet, I wonder how you can sell that proposition to skeptics, when there is not even agreement among believers in the same God, and Scripture's segment. Especially because it concerns basic disagreements about the most important prophecy of all.

So, I would suggest you guys come with a general agreement, before presenting your case to outsiders and hoping to be taken seriously.

Ciao

- viole

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Well, yeah, from our perspective it seems like that because we experience time in a straight line, and we don't know what's going to happen in the future. But since God already knows everything that is about to happen, that means the future is fixed, and cannot be changed. We humans just have the illusion of free will.
If god exists, of course.
But it's the path we must travel and faith let's us have hope that the end is God, so therefore worth the lessons of the journey.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
You don't know the name of your own God Charles .. never mind know the name of my God .. and so of course you can't pronounce a name you do not know but, what role the sick mind plays in this I will leave to you.

That is fine that you wish to burn all Bibles but your own .. what does that have to do with the command of your God to kill the child for the sin of the Parents .. a God whose name could well be Ha Satan as you don't seem to know .. and your denial of teachings of Jesus .. the word of the God of Jesus .. whose name you also do not know.

If you wish to burn the word of Jesus .. believing his teaching to be that of a false God.. that is your choice Brother Charles. What is this God's name that you wish to follow over the God of Jesus ... "Our Father - Hallowed be thy name" .. I think it is the demiurge you follow .. the God named Jealous .. Is this the name of your God ... ? "Jealous" .. and you want to believe in Lord Jealous over Lord Jesus. Is it Lord Jealous that is the God of this special Bible of yours ?

Exodus 34 14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God. 7 ... "he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”

Sounds like your God.. Is this the God you wish to follow over the God of Jesus and Abraham ? .. Is Lord Jealous your God ?
Because of this stuff there was a person named Marcion in the 2nd century that God created a demi-urge, and this demi-urge was the "God" of the Old Testament, and the real God was the God of the New Testament. Completely illogical, I know.

I see the Old Testament as less reliable than the new Testament historically, and how God is described. I discount a lot of the Old Testament, or see the stories as morality fables.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
And blue-eyed, blonde.

I'm not saying he probably thinks Jesus was an Aryan, but...

2-FEtR5OUasT8PfgZ3uQ7uL0QZIJr7uswOxX9vtF1YAsdaG2TYFpRgJcq6esVEvkJy0fFsBpIIGj5_PXeIBBjgER3G3VtwlCWaG_WqA0gBcWVyCKhGtzK2XDL6lrXMu2mQO6w3bNr0eDPrMorXB1QdiJgKgpN2s

Truthseeker

In that passage, “ascend, by virtue of their own innate powers, unto the shores of the Most Great Ocean” means using your reason (innate powers) to determine if God exists. God wants everyone to search for Him and determine that He exists by using their own reason.
I see this a little differently. For me, the Most Great Ocean to me is the Holy Spirit. It is not about whether God exists, but using your spiritual powers or susceptibilities to attain spiritual enlightenment, so to speak. Just knowing that God exists does have some utility, but it's nothing like actually "ascending into the Most Great Ocean".

Truthseeker

Dead wrong again, my God hates. I don't know anything about your god
5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
(King James Bible, Matthew)

Spice

Is the Old Testament Without Errors? No! it is not. Here are just a few.
Many still believe that the most significant books in the Old Testament were inspired to Moses word for word, and are therefore without error, but just think about how that could have occurred. Did God stand beside Moses for ten years dictating every word? Or did He call down to Moses from the clouds for ten years while Moses chiseled away at the Bible, a few verses per day? I think not. Inspiration from God comes like this; Moses would have woken up one morning and felt an urge to write down everything from the beginning of time that his father and grandfather had taught him. As he began to write, amazingly, he would have found himself writing things he did not even know he knew. Thoughts and ideas would have come into his head at such a speed that he would have found it almost impossible to write fast enough. So much so, that much of what he wrote would have been out of order, written in his own words, and all of it would have required endless editing for it to make sense.

God did not expect or even want Moses to write without error at this stage. Also, apart from the minor errors below, much of what came into Moses’ head and how he wrote it were metaphors that we were not meant to understand until after the judgement of the ‘prince of this world’: John 16:11. I have to say, as inspired as Moses may have been, he was still human and a lot of what he wrote he did not understand himself. Therefore, we must look for what God wanted us to understand from what He had Moses write, not just the literal meaning of what he wrote. Being aware of God’s plan for the elimination of evil helps.

The verses below are just a few of many errors in the bible, some minor and some not so minor.

Genesis 14:14 And when Abram heard that his brother nephew was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan:
Genesis 12:5. It is stated here that Lot was his brother's son, i.e., Abram’s nephew, not his brother.
Genesis 14:16. And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother nephew Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people:
Genesis 28:13. I am the Lord God of Abraham, thy father grandfather: Jacob was the son of Isaac, who was the son of Abraham.
Genesis 29:12. And Jacob told Rachel that he was her father's brother nephew and that he was Rebekah's son: and she ran and told her father:
Genesis 29:15. And Laban said unto Jacob, Because thou art my brother nephew: Genesis 37:32. And they sent rent the coat of many colours, and they brought it to their father:

Now for errors introduced by those looking to make a profit from sales of the Bible, as does the NIV.

Genesis 10:5 KJV. By these were the Isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations
Genesis 10:5 NIV From these the maritime peoples spread out into their territories by their clans within their nations, each with its own language.
As you can see, changing ‘Isles’ or ‘Islands of the Gentiles’ to ‘maritime peoples’ loses two important facts. Firstly, there are no islands on the southern coast of the Mediterranean; the only islands are on the northern coast, so Japheth must have populated the coastline adjacent to the Greek Islands.
On the other hand, maritime peoples could be anywhere in the world that has a coastline. Secondly, Moses is telling us here that these are the Gentiles that The Rod will call in Isaiah 11:10, but ‘peoples’ as used in the NIV does not convey that to me
Genesis 11:1 KJV And the whole earth was of one language and of one speech. 2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
Compare this with the NIV Bible which, unbelievably, has Noah’s family travelling in the opposite direction.
NIV Genesis 11:1 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there. How can you expect to know God’s word with such carelessness? One fact must verify another, as it does in the KJV. We know that if they had landed on Mt Ararat, they would need to travel from the east, not, as the NIV states, that they travelled eastward, which would be taking them towards Mt Ararat

Having said all that, I am quite capable of understanding what God wanted Moses to write, which was not always exactly what would have happened. JC2
I agree with your perspective on how Moses was inspired, however, I disagree with the "errors" you note in Genesis. I see "brother" and "father" as endearments, not for literal relationship connections. God is "father" to all His children, and all His children are brothers and sisters. Lot, was indeed Abram's nephew, but also Abraham's brother in faith.

Spice

I'm not sure which translation you got all of that out of but my bible doesn't have any of those errors. We don't accept the Alexandrian translation. we only recognize the Byzantine translation. So there in lies the problem
The Byzantine translation is only of the New Testament's Greek. It does not affect the translation of Hebrew from the Tanaka into the Old Testament. It also does not take anything away from the Alexderian translation. If fact, it adds to it, in an attempt to give the four Gospels more cohesion.

Last edited:

Sargonski

Because of this stuff there was a person named Marcion in the 2nd century that God created a demi-urge, and this demi-urge was the "God" of the Old Testament, and the real God was the God of the New Testament. Completely illogical, I know.

I see the Old Testament as less reliable than the new Testament historically, and how God is described. I discount a lot of the Old Testament, or see the stories as morality fables.

Yes .. I am surely not the first to notice that this athropomorphic God named "Jealous" is quite the demon.

"Less reliable" not sure what to think of this statement .. Historically -- the OT gets more reliable all the time ... but in terms of how God is described -- you simply can not make such a comment "reliably" :) as we do not know what to compare against .. what are you defining as God for comparison.

The question is how reliably is the picture of God conveyed .. what these people believed about God .. copared to what you believe they believed about God .. is a complete crap shoot .. but, I would claim we have a better understanding of the OT God(s) from the perspective of the Israelites than we have for the God(s) that the first century Christians and post 2cnd temple Jews.

For example --- who is the God of the Judaism ? YHWH ?? Wrong .. Who is the God of Jesus ? .. folks just assume that the God of the Jews is YHWH .. ands so this must be who Jesus is referring to as "The Father" -- who art in heaven .. "hallowed be thy name" which no one seems to be able to figure out .. despite the fact that this is settled theology .. the encyclopedia Brittannica will tell you who the God of Abraham is .... Yale Divinity School they will tell you categorically that the God of Abraham - and the patriarchs- was EL .. and we know this "Because" we now understand so well the OT Beliefs .. know what the Israelites believed .. which was the same thing as all the other Canaanite peoples surrounding them believed. .. and so we know .. YHWH was worshiped alongside Asherah and other Gods in the Temple of YHWH .. where much cannibis was burned BTW .. archaeologically confirmed .. all that smoke in the Holy Tent .. and totally common among nomadic tribes .. the Sythians being famous for their cannibis use.

So we know what the Israelites believed .. and uncle Abe .. but what did the first century Jew believe .. or Gentile .. what did Paul believe .. what did the disciples believe .. what did the authors of the various books believe .. and finally .. what did Jesus believe. In general "we have no idea" who these NT actors thought God was . and what the name of this God was.

Keep in mind that after YHWH Died .. the place where his name resided Destroyed .. by God Marduk .. winning the epic battle and becomming Chief God on Earth --- some 7 decades later -- a new God kicked Mardukian Butt ... the God of Persia .. a non anthropomorphic God which will be adopted by Judaism .. interestingly .. this is when the "Name of God" becomes secret and thus 500 years later .. what does a Jewish Fisherman believe the name of this new God is ?

KK -- so we know the name of the God of the Patriarchs .. from Abe to the cult of YHWH. .. the name of this God is the Most High Canaanite God EL .. known as Enlil over in Babylon .. Assyria has the equivalent .. Illil in other places .. everyone at this time in all nations in entire region and beyond belief EL is the Chief God on Earth .. and they all also believe in many other Gods .. Abe decides to only worship the Most High God .. which is EL .. and the priestly order worshiping this high God is the order of Melchi-Zedek.

El has 70 son's .. who battle it out to usurp EL's position on Earth .. EL is then chief in the Heavens .. head of the Divine Council .. while all the sons of the Gods .. of which YHWH is one .. battle it out for Chief God on Earth.

KK ? .. this is not what I believe .. this is what the Israelites believe .. u understand ?

Jesus is - Messiah -- Annointed one of God .. David was also an annointed one of God .. as was King Cyrus .. Jesus is a priest of the order Melchi-Zedek .. as is King David .. Hebrew 6 / Psalm 110. This leaves Cyrus and who is the "High God" to King Cyrus ? The God who the Jews claim annointed him.

Our best guess is Ahura Mazda --- the primordial uncreated God .. "NOT" an anthropomorphic God .. the features of which .. are remarkably similar to the God Judaism adopted .. what to call this God .. some kind of YHWH reborn Ahura Mazda Fusion God .. notice that todays Jews do not follow the commands of YHWH .. similar to how Jesus does not follow the commands of YHWH .. or that nasty God Jealous .. Jesus is marching to the beat of a different drummer.

Ahura Mazda has a twin .. and this is the demiurge .. but that is where we will leave the story for now.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That's nonsense, my bible doesn't say anything of the sort
1 John 4:8 in all English translations

KJ21
He that loveth not, knoweth not God, for God is love.
ASV
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
AMP
The one who does not love has not become acquainted with God [does not and never did know Him], for God is love. [He is the originator of love, and it is an enduring attribute of His nature.]
AMPC
He who does not love has not become acquainted with God [does not and never did know Him], for God is love.
BRG
CSB
The one who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
CEB
The person who doesn’t love does not know God, because God is love.
CJB
Those who do not love, do not know God; because God is love.
CEV
God is love, and anyone who doesn't love others has never known him.
DARBY
He that loves not has not known God; for God is love.
DLNT
The one not loving did not know God, because God is love.
DRA
He that loveth not, knoweth not God: for God is charity.
ERV
Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
EASY
Anyone who does not love other people does not know God. We know this because God's own nature is love.
EHV
The one who does not love has not known God, because God is love.
ESV
ESVUK
EXB
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
GNV
He that loveth not, knoweth not God, for God is love.
GW
The person who doesn’t love doesn’t know God, because God is love.
GNT
Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.
HCSB
ICB
ISV
The person who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
PHILLIPS
To you whom I love I say, let us go on loving one another, for love comes from God. Every man who truly loves is God’s son and has some knowledge of him. But the man who does not love cannot know him at all, for God is love.
JUB
He that does not love does not know God, for God is charity.
KJV
AKJV
LSB
LEB
TLB
But if a person isn’t loving and kind, it shows that he doesn’t know God—for God is love.
MSG
My beloved friends, let us continue to love each other since love comes from God. Everyone who loves is born of God and experiences a relationship with God. The person who refuses to love doesn’t know the first thing about God, because God is love—so you can’t know him if you don’t love. This is how God showed his love for us: God sent his only Son into the world so we might live through him. This is the kind of love we are talking about—not that we once upon a time loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to clear away our sins and the damage they’ve done to our relationship with God.
MEV
Anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
MOUNCE
The person who does not love does not know · God, because · God is love.
NOG
The person who doesn’t love doesn’t know God, because God is love.
NABRE
Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love.
NASB
NASB1995
The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
NCB
NCV
NET
The person who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
NIRV
NIV
NIVUK
NKJV
He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
NLV
Those who do not love do not know God because God is love.
NLT
But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
NMB
He who does not love, does not know God. For God is love.
NRSVA
NRSVACE
NRSVCE
NRSVUE
NTFE
The one who does not love has not known God, because God is love.
OJB
The one not having ahavah did not have da’as of Hashem, because Hashem is ahavah.
RGT
The one who does not love does not know God. For God is love.
RSV
He who does not love does not know God; for God is love.
RSVCE
He who does not love does not know God; for God is love.
TLV
The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
VOICE
WEB
He who doesn’t love doesn’t know God, for God is love.
WE
But anyone who does not love others does not know God, because God is love.
WYC
He that loveth not, knoweth not God; for God is charity.
YLT
he who is not loving did not know God, because God is love.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Love hates evil, you can't have love unless you also have hate. that's what the Bible says. I don't know what your bible says
God hates sin because sin separates us from God........

But God does not hate sinners.....

Where in the Bible does it say Jesus loves sinners?

For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
Luke 6:32-36 KJV - Bible.com

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I see this a little differently. For me, the Most Great Ocean to me is the Holy Spirit. It is not about whether God exists, but using your spiritual powers or susceptibilities to attain spiritual enlightenment, so to speak. Just knowing that God exists does have some utility, but it's nothing like actually "ascending into the Most Great Ocean".
Good interpretation. :)

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Satan is not a god. He, too, is a creation of God's. His power is kept in check by God.
The Bible does speak of Satan as a god. It is really a manner of speaking.
You forgot the ten year difference in year of birth of Jesus. Luke used the Census of Quirinius as a lame excuse to get him to Bethlehem. That census was in 6 CE. Matthew has him born while Herod was still alive. Herod died in 4 BCE.
That is not a certainty, even though many would say it is. You might want to read more about it and the controversy. Herod's Death Key to Jesus' Birth Year | Patterns of Evidence

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Since there is no reliable evidence for any of them let's just delete the whole mess.
As I've been reviewing the so-called Ten Commandments, I see they are based on love for one's neighbor and therefore one's self as well. Despite the fact that you keep telling me I'm breaking the ninth commandment, but that's ok. There's a lot there in those commandments. And it's interesting because whether you believe it or not, the penalty for Adam and Eve was because of their decision to decide for themselves right from wrong. They didn't want God telling them which way to go.