• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Religion Deserve Respect by Default?

miodrag

I like the distinction between reverence and tolerance that you make, but the following just does not feel right with what I consider respect was meant to mean.

However, I also believe that religion deserves respect as an act of tolerance just as well as any other ideological system does.

I don't see that as a respect for religion, but for freedom of any kind. You can value freedom as an ideal, but respect was meant for the conduct, for the ways how that freedom was used and the following effects. Tolerance is about good manners. It is a one way street. If you are tolerant, that shows that you are a gentleman. Respect is a relationship. It involves recognizing the credibility or value in others. And that respect opens the door for further action that may follow - you may not just tolerate the folly of others, but instead actively engage in praising the good qualities or conduct. Respect is on the entirely new level of engagement. In fact, you may even mimic or learn from the ones that you respect. In short, respect was meant for the authority. And authority is recognized according to one's own intelligence and qualities. So, not everyone can respect, nor everyone should be respected. You may love everybody or tolerate everybody. That is just appreciating their fundamental or spiritual nature. Respect was not meant for everybody. We are all different. Respect was meant for those that you recognize. And that is a two ways street. In respect, qualities are required from both sides. So, no respect by default for everybody. (Except in the spiritual world?) Everybody is valuable, or have equal rights etc. But not necessarily the equal qualities. Tolerance, respect, may seem like I am splitting hair introducing semantics to your words, but the difference matters. They are not synonyms, you are right, I just tried to elaborate why. In my interpretation, "respect as an act of tolerance" is an oxymoron.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The question is prompted by a remark atheist David Silverman made in an article on his book Fighting God. The article quotes him as saying:

“Some … people call me a (jerk) because I challenge the absurd notion that religion deserves respect by default. But religion is wrong for demanding respect simply for being, and even more wrong for demanding never to be questioned."
source

What do you think? Think he has a reasonable point? ,,,,Why, why not?

I disagree. Religion is personal. When you respect the religion, you respect the followers.

Thats like calling my friend and saying your family is X; but, dont worry, Im not talking about you just your family.

She IS a part of her family. Likewise with the religious and our religions.

So, by default, they should be respected.

The question is prompted by a remark atheist David Silverman made in an article on his book Fighting God. The article quotes him as saying:

“Some … people call me a (jerk) because I challenge the absurd notion that religion deserves respect by default. But religion is wrong for demanding respect simply for being, and even more wrong for demanding never to be questioned."
source

The question begins with an error. It should be: Do the 'claims' of religion deserve respect by default? And there's the rub. For tradition have failed to prove or demonstrate their case to speak with divine authority even while they try and God, assuming there is a God, has not seen any purpose in confirming any such claim by any tradition of any faith, even while they all expect that to happen at the end of times. The world, even as it is, could not function even as badly as it does, is respect were given unconditionally to anyone. We come into the world and are expected to demonstrate our abiitiy to learn and conform with the laws and mores of ones culture. Not to do so brings us into disrepute, if not jail! Considering the history of religion, both ancient and modern, I find little to respect in any institutional form of faith. But unlike many who default to atheism, I've just concluded that tradition is no more than a theological counterfeit God has yet to sort out. And when that happens, we'll have judgement.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The question begins with an error. It should be: Do the 'claims' of religion deserve respect by default?
No error at all. Silverman isn't addressing the claims of religion, but religion itself. However, if you feel yours is a better question then please feel free to create your own thread. This one deals with the question, "Does Religion Deserve Respect by Default?"

roger1440

I do stuff
The question begins with an error. It should be: Do the 'claims' of religion deserve respect by default? And there's the rub. For tradition have failed to prove or demonstrate their case to speak with divine authority even while they try and God, assuming there is a God, has not seen any purpose in confirming any such claim by any tradition of any faith, even while they all expect that to happen at the end of times. The world, even as it is, could not function even as badly as it does, is respect were given unconditionally to anyone. We come into the world and are expected to demonstrate our abiitiy to learn and conform with the laws and mores of ones culture. Not to do so brings us into disrepute, if not jail! Considering the history of religion, both ancient and modern, I find little to respect in any institutional form of faith. But unlike many who default to atheism, I've just concluded that tradition is no more than a theological counterfeit God has yet to sort out. And when that happens, we'll have judgement.
No religious person today should be held responsible for what others have done in the past. Please don’t blame me for the Inquisition or the Crusades. Trust me on this, I wasn’t there.

“The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.” (Ezekiel 18:20)​

Pudding

No religious person today should be held responsible for what others have done in the past. Please don’t blame me for the Inquisition or the Crusades. Trust me on this, I wasn’t there.

“The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.” (Ezekiel 18:20)​
Yet all human is to be blamed for the original sin for the mistake done by two people adam and eve.
Should all human responsible for what adam and eve have done in the past (as the Bible written)?
Is this a double standards?

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
I don't recall any religion asking for respect from anyone but it's adherent's?
Nor have I heard about the no question rule?

Romans 1:18-32 makes it pretty clear that the christian god demands exclusive recognition and respect from not only believers, but all of humanity, because he has supposedly made his glory obvious through the creation so that none of us have an excuse for failing to respect and honor and worship him. Saying we have no excuse not to believe is pretty much saying no one should question him. And we can't just blame it on Paul, there are lots of examples of this narcissism throughout the Bible. I'm not as familiar with the Koran, but I've read it, and the overall flavor of childish demands for universal unearned respect and reverence is similar.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!

On the other hand, the same god said this not long before that: "You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me," Exodus 20:5.

So which is it? If someone chooses to despise all Christians for the atrocities committed by the church in the past, they can actually justify it biblically. I'm not suggesting it's right, because I believe it's very wrong; but scripture disagrees with me there. At least SOME scripture ... *cough*

Aquitaine

source

No ideology should be granted respect by default, nor should any be granted direspect by default. Respect should be earned, especially with ideologies which claim "divine authority/inspiration".

roger1440

I do stuff
Yet all human is to be blamed for the original sin for the mistake done by two people adam and eve.
Should all human responsible for what adam and eve have done in the past (as the Bible written)?
The very people who wrote that story have no concept of "original sin".

roger1440

I do stuff
On the other hand, the same god said this not long before that: "You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me," Exodus 20:5.

So which is it? If someone chooses to despise all Christians for the atrocities committed by the church in the past, they can actually justify it biblically. I'm not suggesting it's right, because I believe it's very wrong; but scripture disagrees with me there. At least SOME scripture ... *cough*
Yes, but only if the descendants following in their ancestors footsteps. You do know the clichés “like father like son” or “the fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree”? Also read the next verse. “but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.” God’s mercy is far more abundant then his wrath.

Pudding

The very people who wrote that story have no concept of "original sin".
Your interpretation is acceptable.

If "original sin" doesn't apply here, lets replace it with "consequences of mistake".

Yet all human have to bear the consequences of mistake which done by two people adam and eve.
Should all human have to bear the consequences of mistake which done by adam and eve in the past (as the Bible written)?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I'm in favor of giving people a measure of respect by default. I don't see how you have a civil society without that. But religions are not people, and I'm kind of uncomfortable with the notion of giving them a measure of respect by default. I'm uncomfortable with it, but still open to reasoned argument about it.
I feel the same way. People should be respected by default. But, it is extremely dangerous to automatically demand respect for any idea/belief without question. And, if we are forced to grant legitimacy to religious beliefs out of fear of offending those who adhere to those beliefs, progress will be impossible.

I watched a "Big Questions" debate about evolution, and one person pointed out that, to adherents, scripture is fact. So, just as we respect scientific discoveries based on empirical evidence, we must respect those who consider scripture to be fact as well. Imho, it was an absurd request, especially when children of adherents are taught that scripture is fact without question. Everyone should be responsible for supporting their beliefs with reasoned arguments, no matter where those beliefs originate.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

source

Any idea that demands respect by default is, by default, wrong.

Ciao

- viole

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

source

What do you think? Think he has a reasonable point? ,,,,Why, why not?.

More than just reasonable, it is a badly needed attitude that I fully support and agree with.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare

source

I agree with the quote posted. Religion does not deserve respect by default.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
In case I forgot to post this

download.jpg

Tom