• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it really matter if we came from monkies?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
What stops the religious "right" from being able to humble themselves to allowing God to make them in any fashion he so desired?

Is it a complete inability to comprehend the probability and truth of evolution?

Is it a complete inability to reason that God could use ANY tool to create us, including evolution?

Is it a misguided speciecentricity that makes us feel that we can NOT come from those dang dirty apes?

Just what is the bug under their derriere?

Hi
I m a young agnostic and just wanted to share my views although they are very raw and very boring to those of you who are much more educated then me. But still here goes:
A very important topic you brought up. Religious ppl tend to fight hard and long b4 they belive any scientific discovery... WHY??? well after ppl realized there is nothing on mount olympus they stopped believing in zeus. The abrahimic religions are mostly based on this. The book is ultimate book and says the prophet is ultimate good therefore they are both good. so if something wrong is found in the Tora, Bible or Quran then the source is no longer perfect. But i m not sure why ppl still believe in these religions after we figured out EARTH IS NOT FLAT AND GOES AROUND THE SUN!!! that is the reason for which Nicholas Coprinicus was killed. And Darwin was harrased till the end of his life. So why is it so hard to swallow the fact that Evoloution DID occur. Because the priest, the father, the mullah and such will have to retire just like the greek Oracles had to... I M STILL SURPRISED U LASTED SO LONG... TO THE ABRAHIMIC RELGIONS

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If I were a believer, I think I'd believe god was powerful enough to have created an universe in which evolution happened.

Scuba Pete

Welcome to the Boards TtL,
Because the priest, the father, the mullah and such will have to retire just like the greek Oracles had to
Now what draws you to THIS conclusion?

Scuba Pete

Actually, I don't believe in Santa and I DID buy a Christmas tree. What's your point with that?

U missed my point.
A priest has a job to be a religious figure... i m pretty sure its an ezier job then a hard-working labourer... yet he is paid to be that person... why because ppl believe in religion if they didn't he wouldn't get paid... i can't believe u r defending this.... ppl used to BUY FORGIVNESS from the church and the POPE!!! do u think they woulda baught it if they didn't believe in god.

Scuba Pete

I am not defending anything. You made a statement that said if Evolution is true then there is no need for religion, and I am trying to see if you have any proof for this conjecture.

Oh of course there is a need for religion...with out religions alota ppl would still barbarians. but if we accept evoloution we won't believe in certain religions such as Islam, Judaism, Christianity, the rest that say for sure man was made of clay and such. so if we don't believe in this stuff then we will want to go to more evolotionized religions such as buddhism and the PRIESTS will no longer have followers and well have to retire... this is why they will fight against it soo much...
They tortured darwin into taking his words back
They killed Nickolai Couprinicus for saying the earth went around the sun
The pope ordered Galelio to be arrested for such "HERESIES"
They will do it with evoloution too... untill they lose...
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at u, then they fight u, then u win" Mahatma ghandi
This proccess goes for almost all anti-relgious discoveries

Scuba Pete

but if we accept evoloution we won't believe in certain religions such as Islam, Judaism, Christianity,
Well I am Christian, AND I believe in evolution. I believe that God used it as a tool just as you would use a hammer to build a house.

They never tortured Darwin, and he never took his words back.
They did not kill Copernicus. http://www.blupete.com/Literature/Biographies/Science/Copernicus.htm
Galileo was put under "House Arrest". But he continued to work on his theories. http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Galileo.html

If he used it as a tool... then why did he say differently in the wholy books? if u say the bible is not directly from god then dispose of it and the priests

-Darwin did say that i take it bak if u would stop annoying me soo much
-"Two other Italian scientists of the time, Galileo and Bruno, embraced the Copernican theory unreservedly and as a result suffered much personal injury at the hands of the powerful church inquisitors. Giordano Bruno had the audacity to even go beyond Copernicus, and, dared to suggest, that space was boundless and that the sun was and its planets were but one of any number of similar systems: Why! -- there even might be other inhabited worlds with rational beings equal or possibly superior to ourselves. For such blasphemy, Bruno was tried before the Inquisition, condemned and burned at the stake in 1600." this is from the site u gave me.. sry i misplaced Bruno and coprinucus but again u can they were both tourtured. and Galilio it says was imprisoned for life... this is the site u gave me.....

"Galileo was brought forward in 1633, and, there, in front of his "betters," he was, under the threat of torture and death, forced to his knees to renounce all belief in Copernican theories, and was thereafter sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his days."

Runt

This is just a friendly reminder that everyone needs to stay on topic. Please refer back to the first post if you do not know what the topic is, or start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this new topic. Thanks! :)

If he used it as a tool... then why did he say differently in the wholy books? if u say the bible is not directly from god then dispose of it and the priests

-Darwin did say that i take it bak if u would stop annoying me soo much
-"Two other Italian scientists of the time, Galileo and Bruno, embraced the Copernican theory unreservedly and as a result suffered much personal injury at the hands of the powerful church inquisitors. Giordano Bruno had the audacity to even go beyond Copernicus, and, dared to suggest, that space was boundless and that the sun was and its planets were but one of any number of similar systems: Why! -- there even might be other inhabited worlds with rational beings equal or possibly superior to ourselves. For such blasphemy, Bruno was tried before the Inquisition, condemned and burned at the stake in 1600.Galileo was brought forward in 1633, and, there, in front of his "betters," he was, under the threat of torture and death, forced to his knees to renounce all belief in Copernican theories, and was thereafter sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his days." this is from the site u gave me.. sry i misplaced Bruno and coprinucus... this is the site u gave me.....

kassi

NetDoc said:
Well I am Christian, AND I believe in evolution. I believe that God used it as a tool just as you would use a hammer to build a house.http://
ND I never knew this about you.:(

I think evolution means "by chance". This is the opposite of "by purpose".

Yerda

Veteran Member
NetDoc said:
What stops the religious "right" from being able to humble themselves to allowing God to make them in any fashion he so desired?

Is it a complete inability to comprehend the probability and truth of evolution?

Is it a complete inability to reason that God could use ANY tool to create us, including evolution?

Is it a misguided speciecentricity that makes us feel that we can NOT come from those dang dirty apes?

Just what is the bug under their derriere?

Evolution is a bad word to some people.

I asked my tech teacher in high school, who was very devout Christian and a very fine person, why he ruled out evolution as God's method or that God created simple life and let it run from there.

"After all, they say God works in mysterious ways."

He told me that the bible sufficiently illuminates God's methods.

I then told him that the bible was a collection of pagan mythology and mytical tripe reworded, and "if God made humanity he made an *** of it".

"Listening to you I'm forced to agree." he said. Git.

M

Majikthise

I don't know why, but i have a strange craving for bananas.

t3gah

"Does it really matter if we came from monkies?"

IT would to the monkies cuz we'd be kin folk. :)

Seriously though. I believe what you believe Pete. God started everything off way back yonder and it, creation evolved from there, minus the flood incident of course. :162: