• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it really matter if we came from monkies?

Mskedi

I'm another Christian who believes in evolution.

I really don't think the point of Genesis was how the world was made (or how long it took to make it, for that matter).

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
kassi said:
I think evolution means "by chance". This is the opposite of "by purpose".
There is nothing in evolution that tells us WHY it works. Athiests may tell you chance, but God will tell you far differently. If he created evolution, then he has a purpose for it and has clearly defined rules on how it should work.

Scuba Pete

Trying_to_Learn said:
If he used it as a tool... then why did he say differently in the wholy books?
Did he now? Could you show me where it says that he DIDN'T use evolution? Please?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Not to me; it makes no difference in my religious beliefs.
(besides, it may explain why I keep looking for nits in my hair, and eat them..............):jiggy:

Ceridwen018

There is nothing in evolution that tells us WHY it works. Athiests may tell you chance, but God will tell you far differently. If he created evolution, then he has a purpose for it and has clearly defined rules on how it should work.
I'm an atheist, and I wouldn't say it was chance...
Did he now? Could you show me where it says that he DIDN'T use evolution? Please?
Come on now, NetDoc. The two creation stories in the Bible say nothing of evolution.

Ceridwen thank you
you said exactly wut i wanted to... never in any religious book does it talk about evoloution... if u wanna add that to bible now like many other things that were added u r welcome to... but come on after soo much proof u should discard of the bible and the priest and GO FOR UR GOD... there is nothing wrong about god... its just ppl want to follow sumting they know is wrong, so they wll change the world to fit the wrong idea... and it hurts cuz i m one of those who have been afected by relegion... and i don't see why open minded ppl like u will believe in evolotion and a book that says man came from clay from the heaven's up above (by the way above is in all directions and there is no heaven there).

Scuba Pete

Come on now, NetDoc. The two creation stories in the Bible say nothing of evolution.
Niether does it discredit it. Show me ONE "Thou shalt not believe in evolution" and I will change my tune.

Does it not say that man was mad of clay? does it not say the first man was adam and then the woman Eve? Does it not say god then created other animals?
But evoloution says we came from single celled organisms!
I don't have to show u that the bible talked about evoloution.. the fact that they didn't just shows that they didn't have infinite knowledge. so if evoloution says different then the bible. Only one can be right. this is not something u can find a grey area in. Either god created man from clay or he didn't.

Ceridwen018

Niether does it discredit it. Show me ONE "Thou shalt not believe in evolution" and I will change my tune.
Well, the Bible says that god created the birds in the sky and the fish in the sea, and in a matter of days, no less. By pulling Evolutionary ideas out of that instead of Creationistic ones, you are merely exercising the dangerous creative inference that some Christains seem to favor.

fromthe heart

Mskedi said:
I'm another Christian who believes in evolution.

I really don't think the point of Genesis was how the world was made (or how long it took to make it, for that matter).
I'm a christian who doesn't believe in evolution...I feel that the reason the Bible begins with the creation story is because God doesn't want anyone to be mislead in another direction. :)

Scuba Pete

dangerous creative inference
WHOA! What's in danger? We don't want any wanton ideas to cause people to actually THINK, now do we??? :D

Ceridwen, if God created time, then he is certainly not constrained by it. However, the Hebrew litterally means "warm period" and does not denote a set number of hours, but rather a partition of "work". Given the case that they had no word for "hour" or especially epoch, or billion, than one can understand that the speach of the period simply could not convey the "Compleat Tretise on How I Created the Earth" by God. The "point" of Genesis was that it was GOD who was behind it all, no more and no less.

I know that this destroys one of the favorite misconceptions held by scientists and layman alike, but the Bible and evolution are not mutually exclusive.

So u r one of those that is ok with changing the bible a bit more to suit ur needs... if u guyz did this a little bit more open mindedly...christianity wouldn't be all that bad.

Netdoc as i read ur writing this is what i gather from ur prespective
-The bible is not complete
-It wasn't made perfect because we cannot precieve it
If this is so
-why do u accept a priest who can't precieve it fully either
-why then the need for the imperfect book, why not use ur mind to reach morality rather then an incomplete book written for barbarians (ppl who can't even tell time)

Ceridwen018

WHOA! What's in danger? We don't want any wanton ideas to cause people to actually THINK, now do we???
NetDoc, do you know the great problem with modern literary criticism? Oftentimes people pick out connections and symbolic meanings that the author never even intended. It's always great to ponder new ideas and possibilities, but there is only one implied meaning.
Ceridwen, if God created time, then he is certainly not constrained by it. However, the Hebrew litterally means "warm period" and does not denote a set number of hours, but rather a partition of "work".
Again, we have creative interpretation. Yes, what you are saying makes perfect sense, but we have to take the times into consideration here. This particular word may literally be translated as "a period of work", but how long do you think the average work period lasted back then? A day. You cannot argue that the writers of Genesis were referring to a normal "24 hour" day.

Given the case that they had no word for "hour" or especially epoch, or billion, than one can understand that the speach of the period simply could not convey the "Compleat Tretise on How I Created the Earth" by God.
Again, they had no word for it, yet you assume that they could understand the concept, and therefore that's what they were trying to say in the most appropriate language available.

I know that this destroys one of the favorite misconceptions held by scientists and layman alike, but the Bible and evolution are not mutually exclusive.
I never said they were, NetDoc.

fromthe heart

Trying_to_learn said:
So u r one of those that is ok with changing the bible a bit more to suit ur needs... if u guyz did this a little bit more open mindedly...christianity wouldn't be all that bad.
No...I'm not one of those who feel it's ok to change the Bible to meet anyones lifestyle or to suit their own purpose. Once you have an understanding of true christianity it's not what you may assume it to be. God said when you are a child of His He would open the scriptures to your understanding...I've found that to be true. That's why Jesus sapke in parables to crouds. He knew their hearts. I also won't draw conclusions on the Bible because through the years meanings seem to manifest themselves when your mind is prepared to accept the truths. :)

No*s

Captain Obvious
Trying_to_learn said:
sry guyz i just had a question. how can u create ur own topic?

Go to the pertinent forum, and there should be a button that says "Create new thread" or the like. (I can't remember the exact terminology). It will let you create a new topic.