• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Gender Equality Lead To Better Sex Lives?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Article said:
Older couples who live in Western countries and who enjoy more equality between men and women are most likely to report being satisfied with their sex lives. In contrast, older people report less satisfaction with the physical and emotional quality of their sex lives in countries where men have a dominant status over women, such as nations in East Asia, and to a lesser extent, the Middle East.

A new study on sexual well-being, aging and health that was conducted in 29 countries by a University of Chicago research team surveyed about 27,500 people between the ages of 40 and 80, including equal numbers of men and women. Survey compared sexual behavior and related satisfaction among middle-aged and older people worldwide. Across most of the countries surveyed, substantial majorities of people with partners remain sexually active throughout the second half of their lives.

The study found that people reported the greatest sexual satisfaction in four countries, led by Austria, and followed by the United States, Spain and Canada. At the low end of satisfaction were Japan and Taiwan. Countries such as Turkey, Egypt and Algeria were in the middle.

An article on the survey, titled "A Cross-National Study of Subjective Sexual Well-Being Among Older Women and Men: Findings from the Global Study of Sexual Attitudes and Behaviors," is published in the April issue of the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior.

In relationships based on equality, couples tend to develop sexual habits that are more in keeping with both partners' interests, said lead author, Edward Laumann. "Male-centered cultures where sexual behavior is more oriented toward procreation tend to discount the importance of sexual pleasure for women," he said.

Rest of article here:

http://news.sawf.org/Health/10745.aspx

So, do you think gender equality leads to a better sex live? If so, why? If not, why not?

Are you planning to immigrate to Austria after reading the article?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
evearael said:
Open communication and mutual respect, by-products of equity between the genders, leads to better sex.
Agreed. If both people are caring about the other's needs, instead of one caring only about himself, leeds to wanting to and enjoying sex more.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
Rest of article here:

http://news.sawf.org/Health/10745.aspx

So, do you think gender equality leads to a better sex live? If so, why? If not, why not?

Are you planning to immigrate to Australia after reading the article?

Probably; but as I live in a matriarchal house................... Joking.

I think probably yes; because of mutual respect. I would imagine that in a Male-centered culture the man would be less interested in his wife feeling fulfilled, and that the woman might even regard sex as 'her duty'. I can't see anyone 'doing their duty' enjoying it very much.

Strange, they never mentioned England in your article, Sunstone.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Well, we kind of have the equipment whose only specific function is sexual pleasure. :bounce

Gender equality in the social and political arenas can and certainly do transfer into the home and, lastly, the bedroom. What I love about statements such as these are that both genders get off well. ;)

Peace,
Mystic

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
I think gender equality definately improves relationships, sex included. I don't even know why this could come up as a question! If someone can explain to me a situation where its clearly better for either sex to have undue dominance over another in terms of relationships then that would be most interesting!

PureX

Veteran Member
I think it's impossible to say. Men and women are different. Different doesn't mean equal, it means different. And equal doesn't mean different, either, it means equal. Technically speaking, it's a contradiction of terms to say that "men and women are equal" without qualifying their proposed equality.

We are equal in some ways and not in others. And I don't really see what this has to do with sex. Wouldn't respecting our differences (the ways in which we are not "equal") be just as good for sexuality as considering how we are equal (the ways in which we are the same)?

I think this discussion has way too many variables. *smile*

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scarlett Wampus said:
I think gender equality definately improves relationships, sex included. I don't even know why this could come up as a question! If someone can explain to me a situation where its clearly better for either sex to have undue dominance over another in terms of relationships then that would be most interesting!

A sado-masochist relationship?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
PureX said:
I think it's impossible to say. Men and women are different. Different doesn't mean equal, it means different. And equal doesn't mean different, either, it means equal. Technically speaking, it's a contradiction of terms to say that "men and women are equal" without qualifying their proposed equality.

We are equal in some ways and not in others. And I don't really see what this has to do with sex. Wouldn't respecting our differences (the ways in which we are not "equal") be just as good for sexuality as considering how we are equal (the ways in which we are the same)?

I think this discussion has way too many variables. *smile*

I took "equality" to mean "equal opportunity" rather than to mean "sameness." Having equal opportunity toward prosperity by means other than earning a paycheck is how I'm taking this discussion, not trying to find equality in bodily function or mental processing. :)

Peace,
Mystic