• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Consumption of Alcohol Prevent Spiritual Growth?

Lightkeeper

Some religions suggest no consumption of alcohol. AA will tell you that alcoholism is a spiritual problem. Do you think alcohol usage on a regular basis prevents spiritual growth? Does it prevent emotional growth?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
One of the 5 precepts that virtually all Buddhists take is to refrain from intoxication. Differing traditions and schools interpret this in different ways. Some interpret it as excluding alcohol in any form, as well as caffeine, nicotine etc. Others interpret it to mean "not becoming intoxicated to the point of causing suffering".

true blood

Some research suggests that a moderate alcohol intake (one drink per day) is associated with less risk of heart disease. Also that all types of alcohol reduce the risk of coronary heart disease (at least in part) by reducing serum levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol. However there are probably better, healthier ways to reduce less risks. And as you increase drinks you also increase about 200-300 calories per drink. Furthermore, alcohol depresses the brain sometimes severly depressing it. I've seen plenty of bar fights break out due to this. Deterioration in complexion and the nausea and headache that can accompany a hangover(can't forget those) Varicose veins swelling and burst causing blood loss that is very difficult to stop.

With conditions like these I'm sure it effects emotional and spiritual development.

That is very interesting, I read somthing at one point that lead me to believe that with the mind/body connection that if you have a pure body a pure mind would be to follow, not that if you eat right that you will become enlightened in anyway, but it keeps from blocking the transistion. I really believe this in some small way. I hardly am able to control my food intake to any degree, but I am hoping to work towards that. But for me, I also agree with doctors about the glass of red wine a day, I certainly wouldn't drink it daily for any reason, but I just don't see much wrong with wine. I would think the biggest thing is the reason you drink, everyone knows there is a differnce in drinking socially, but when it grows to more than that and becomes an escape or you allow it to get you caught up in a lifestyle that isn't in tune with your spiritual connections, then I can see where it would cause a problem. I guess it depends on what degree it is considered??

Lightkeeper

Regarding the red wine, I heard the component in it that is good for you is the grapes. Eating concord and red grapes will accomplish the same thing. Also running in place for 5 minutes will improve the circulation.

A member of my family who had a drinking problem stopped drinking over two years ago, and it is amazing to watch the growth, both emotionally and spiritually. I have heard that you stay the emotional age at which you started drinking, until you stop.

Lightkeeper said:
A member of my family who had a drinking problem stopped drinking over two years ago, and it is amazing to watch the growth, both emotionally and spiritually. I have heard that you stay the emotional age at which you started drinking, until you stop.

Wow, that is eerie, lol, but I can see that, I used to drink alot, but not as much, only a few times a year now, if that, and I really feel like I have been growing since then.

But I understand what you are saying about grapes, lol, and it does seem like everyone is trying to find the 'good' in things, perhaps it is a marketing ploy, lol. I am sure that any benefit that can be found in anything that isn't really good for you, you could better find a 'good' replacement for. So I am with you on that, that is a pretty lame attempt, I guess I was bringing it up for my own sake, that I don't really drink anymore, but since I still do, I feel that it is atleast somewhat an improvement for me since wine is not as bad as liquors that I always drank with some kinda of not very good for you mixer, and way in excess. Glad to be kept on my toes. :)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think that in terms of giving up alcohol that it can lead to spiritual growth...

heres why...

when you are an alcololic you depend on it to keep you going (consciously or subconsciously)...
when you stop using it you need something elce to fill that void... enter religion...

religion fills this gap nicely, its an 'addiction' that is socially acceptable... the more you do it the better people think of you...

I've noticed that the most 'gung-ho' religious people I've ever met have all been former addicts of some sort... most of the time they overcompensate and get really overbord with thier newly aquired zelousness...

wa:-do

Lightkeeper

painted wolf said:
I think that in terms of giving up alcohol that it can lead to spiritual growth...

heres why...

when you are an alcololic you depend on it to keep you going (consciously or subconsciously)...
when you stop using it you need something elce to fill that void... enter religion...

religion fills this gap nicely, its an 'addiction' that is socially acceptable... the more you do it the better people think of you...

I've noticed that the most 'gung-ho' religious people I've ever met have all been former addicts of some sort... most of the time they overcompensate and get really overbord with thier newly aquired zelousness...

Yes, I have seen all of this. Also, heavy alcohol usage keeps you from dealing with your issues. You block out everything. Then, when a person stops drinking all of the undealt with issues emerge. Heavy usage also damages the central nervous system.

Ask yourself this...Why am I drinking alcohol?
Is there any reason to drink it? If it’s for the affects of it, then it is wrong because in the Bible is says to be sober and if you are drunk you are not sober.
I mean there are plenty of other drinks, there's coffee and mountain dew and more coffee and Water. Biblically it is not wrong to drink as long as you are sober, Christ drank whine.

Runt

I know that some (SOME) Wiccans believe that alcohol can actually AID spiritual growth because it changes your perception, which is one of the steps in making magic (there are 8 total, I believe).

Lightkeeper

Some religions suggest no consumption of alcohol. AA will tell you that alcoholism is a spiritual problem. Do you think alcohol usage on a regular basis prevents spiritual growth? Does it prevent emotional growth?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
One of the 5 precepts that virtually all Buddhists take is to refrain from intoxication. Differing traditions and schools interpret this in different ways. Some interpret it as excluding alcohol in any form, as well as caffeine, nicotine etc. Others interpret it to mean "not becoming intoxicated to the point of causing suffering".

true blood

Some research suggests that a moderate alcohol intake (one drink per day) is associated with less risk of heart disease. Also that all types of alcohol reduce the risk of coronary heart disease (at least in part) by reducing serum levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol. However there are probably better, healthier ways to reduce less risks. And as you increase drinks you also increase about 200-300 calories per drink. Furthermore, alcohol depresses the brain sometimes severly depressing it. I've seen plenty of bar fights break out due to this. Deterioration in complexion and the nausea and headache that can accompany a hangover(can't forget those) Varicose veins swelling and burst causing blood loss that is very difficult to stop.

With conditions like these I'm sure it effects emotional and spiritual development.

That is very interesting, I read somthing at one point that lead me to believe that with the mind/body connection that if you have a pure body a pure mind would be to follow, not that if you eat right that you will become enlightened in anyway, but it keeps from blocking the transistion. I really believe this in some small way. I hardly am able to control my food intake to any degree, but I am hoping to work towards that. But for me, I also agree with doctors about the glass of red wine a day, I certainly wouldn't drink it daily for any reason, but I just don't see much wrong with wine. I would think the biggest thing is the reason you drink, everyone knows there is a differnce in drinking socially, but when it grows to more than that and becomes an escape or you allow it to get you caught up in a lifestyle that isn't in tune with your spiritual connections, then I can see where it would cause a problem. I guess it depends on what degree it is considered??

Lightkeeper

Regarding the red wine, I heard the component in it that is good for you is the grapes. Eating concord and red grapes will accomplish the same thing. Also running in place for 5 minutes will improve the circulation.

Lightkeeper said:

Wow, that is eerie, lol, but I can see that, I used to drink alot, but not as much, only a few times a year now, if that, and I really feel like I have been growing since then.

But I understand what you are saying about grapes, lol, and it does seem like everyone is trying to find the 'good' in things, perhaps it is a marketing ploy, lol. I am sure that any benefit that can be found in anything that isn't really good for you, you could better find a 'good' replacement for. So I am with you on that, that is a pretty lame attempt, I guess I was bringing it up for my own sake, that I don't really drink anymore, but since I still do, I feel that it is atleast somewhat an improvement for me since wine is not as bad as liquors that I always drank with some kinda of not very good for you mixer, and way in excess. Glad to be kept on my toes. :)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle

heres why...

Lightkeeper

painted wolf said:

heres why...

Yes, I have seen all of this. Also, heavy alcohol usage keeps you from dealing with your issues. You block out everything. Then, when a person stops drinking all of the undealt with issues emerge. Heavy usage also damages the central nervous system.

Ask yourself this...Why am I drinking alcohol?
Is there any reason to drink it? If it’s for the affects of it, then it is wrong because in the Bible is says to be sober and if you are drunk you are not sober.
I mean there are plenty of other drinks, there's coffee and mountain dew and more coffee and Water. Biblically it is not wrong to drink as long as you are sober, Christ drank whine.

Runt

I know that some (SOME) Wiccans believe that alcohol can actually AID spiritual growth because it changes your perception, which is one of the steps in making magic (there are 8 total, I believe).