• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Christmas have anything to do with Christ?

Does Xmas (Christmas) have anything to do with Christ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Even the Creator of your Universe is confused about the origins of Christmas.

Your Creator has posted a video on YouTube. This important message comes to you directly from the studios of your Creator's PR department

See ‘ God’s Christmas Message ‘ .

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So it doesn't matter that every pagan sun god was worshiped at the same time in December for centuries before Jesus? Would Jesus appreciate his birth being celebrated in the same fashion as false idols?
I believe in a Jesus who is not easily offended. He cares more about the poor than he does about himself. Of that I am sure.

Simplelogic

The idea of December 25th was initiated during the reign of Constantine. He converted (half heartedly) to Christianity in order for the rest of Rome to do the same in an effort to unite his empire. It had nothing to do with Christ and it was 300 years after Christ's death. Of course with this action he also sealed the demise of his empire. Within a few decades, Rome was in ruin and the start of centuries of dark ages.

zahadat
nima
This is not fully accurate imho. Dec 25th was the day that all pagan sun god's were worshiped for thousands of years before Constantine. Constantine just decided to sandwich Jesus into the story to appease his half pagan and half Christian empire.

Enki2

Christ Mass is strictly a Catholic invention. In the early 300 AD the Church adopted Dec. 25th The birth day of Mithras the war God and also the winter solstice as a day of celebration, the thought was that the pagans would be celebrating a Christian celebration without realizing it. same with Easter.
Just as the Church changed the day of worship from the 7th day, Saturday) to Sunday (Sun God's day) around 321-364 at the Council of Laodicia;
They also changed the tradition that the scriptures were always correct, to the fact that the church tradition ruled over scriptures.
No one supposedly celebrated Jesus's birthday until around 200-300 AD.and Christians (Followers of Yeshua) were never called Christians, but followers of the way.
The term Chrisnians or Christians was first used in India for the followers Krisnia, a God child born thousands of years before Yeshua (Jesus).
Jesus's famous saying( Whosoever shall not eat of my flesh and drink of my blood shall not inherit heaven; was carved on the wall of the Church catacombs by Adonia; another child God or one of his followers at least 1000 ye before Jesus.

MikeSavage

An idea from another thread, does Xmas have anything to do with Christ?

Just vote and comment if you want.
No. Jesus was not born in December. Christmas is actually Saturna, a pagan celebration of the harvest from Rome. It was a 12 day party of debauchery and sex. Jesus was born in fall when the shepherds were still living in the fields with the flocks. It was not cold. In the middle East, in December, it is below freezing and no shepherd would leave his flocks out in that weather. Christmas is pagan inside and out, and God said to "not touch the unclean thing", and anything pagan is an unclean thing.

Lew321

There seems to be a lot of disagreement on the exact date of Christ's birth. A spiritual guide I studied under favors January 6 which is now known as the Day of Epiphany, which is the day the Magi presented their gifts. In Europe during that time, there was a pagan observance of celebration of the winter solstace. The feudal kings of Europe celebrated by having these feasts that lasted for many days. So when Christianity came along, they celebrated until January 6. When the Industrial Revolution came along, production managers protested these long celebrations. So they decided to use December 25th and January 1st as the only two holidays.

Richard E.

Religious Scholar
Nope. Christmas, Easter, All Saints Day and the like are all based off of Pagan holidays that were based off of the changing of the seasons and astrological phenomenon.

Throughout the Roman empire the most popular religion was that of Mithra. Mithra was born of a virgin and his birth was celebrated
on December 25th known as Saturnalia. Many of the rituals and celebrations in the Mitra religion were carried over into Christianity.

Harmonious

I'm not a Christian, so I'm not sure it's my place to say whether or not Christmas has anything to do with Jesus. Regardless, I'll share my thoughts on the matter.

My sister called, and asked me to come to her in-laws' Christmas celebration. Having been to it before, the way it is shared is that it is a convenient time for family to get together. Jesus doesn't get much mention, and nowhere near as much as "T'was the Night Before Christmas."

But then again, the extended family celebration doesn't include Midnight Mass, and like that.

I am also very much aware that there are Christians who think of Christmas as a pagan holiday. I'm pretty sure THEY don't connect Christmas with Jesus.

Then there are many Christians who are convinced that Jesus is the reason for the season.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The Messianic Jews that I've spoken to believe that Yeshua was born some time in October. Some people say He was born in April. But that hardly matters. If we can put Yeshua into the celebration, why shouldn't we? I am not asking non-Christians to do it. :)

Artemis

document file
Christmas Day celebrated by most Christians on 25th December has nothing to do with the exact day of the birth of Christ. Actually 25th December was a common holiday celebrated by people specially in Europe by by non C hristians and none Jews. I have done several studies as when Jesus was born and have two alternative seasons not even months. It could be either early spring or mid autumn. This is my opinion .Thank you.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
I voted 'Don't Know' because that is the closest to 'It Depends'. First, it depends whether OP's question refers to the meaning of Christmas to society in general (and which country, in that case) or to the individuals who make up society. If it's the first, then no - Christmas has been pretty well re-secularized, and thank the gods for that. :p

If it's the second, then absolutely - Christmas *can* be all about Christ, to those who choose to make it so.

I, personally, celebrate a much older holiday: Winter Solstice [Yule] on Dec 21st. That was good enough for my ancestors, it's more than good enough for me, and I vastly prefer its traditions and philosophy to the Christ-centered holidays my fundie parents celebrated.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Christmas is a pagan festival which the Christians pinched. Here in the UK most people celebrate it more like a pagan festival than a Christian one.

BurnPhoenix

It really depends on what you see Christmas as being. Ultimately pagans celebrated Yule with the giving of gifts and parties etc. In that sense it doesn't have anything to do with Christ.

If you are a Christian though, then by combining Yule with the birth of Christ the church has tried to add those Christian undertones to the festive season.

Therefore, historically it has nothing to do with Christ, but if you believe in Christ then it has everything to do with him.

mahasn ebn sawresho

There aretraditionsconveyed bychurchesto therituals
This is true
Including Christmas traditions
Yes, in some cases beyond the birth of the original purpose and become a trade
Despite this joy is not humanitarian errors
Yesjoywith Jesusis the secret ofChristianity
Ifpaganmeansjoy
Christian wedding finale this pride to Christianity
Which is better to celebrate with candles and with hymns of peace
Or celebrate with horns of war on humanity
Only opposed birth and say Gentile pagan rituals
I honestly say
Ifidolatrybearsthe meaning ofjoy inChristianity-
Welcome tothe
IfmetwithChristianin apaganjoy
Thegoal ofhumanity
Reunite in a wonderful joy and peace
This is Christmas
Evenand his foldassome sayis awesomealso
To rejoicing in Christmas
Because it is the birth of good hope and joy to humans

grainne

This isn't something that I can give a yes or no vote for. While Christmas is a pagan holiday, just look it up in the encyclopedia, I think Christmas can be celebrated as the birth of Christ if Christians so wish. Christmas has different meanings for different people. You can make of it as you wish.

Personally, I celebrate it as a day of giving, and I happen to like the decorations and Santa Claus, even the name of the holiday is fine with me.