• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Christmas have anything to do with Christ?

Does Xmas (Christmas) have anything to do with Christ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Saturnalia may the 'attachment' here, not the other way around. The early church may have had to scramble to maintain credibility by incorporating Xian themes into pagan ones, but this doesn't necessarily mean that Xmas is non-Xian or not to do with Christ.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I think it was historically started in order to be a way to honor Christ. But with the way society is now, it is more about gift giving and well meaning for all then about Christ. So I vote "no" it is not about Christ. Not anymore.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I think it was historically started in order to be a way to honor Christ. But with the way society is now, it is more about gift giving and well meaning for all then about Christ. So I vote "no" it is not about Christ. Not anymore.
Could be. I think for more religious Xians it still is though. For me it's a combination of things, technically not so much about Christ.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Could be. I think for more religious Xians it still is though. For me it's a combination of things, technically not so much about Christ.

I'm not Christian so it isn't about Christ for me either. I celebrate it because my relatives do. But I prefer Yule, and I celebrate that on my own each year.

Jesus was not born on the 25th of december and it never mentions it in the holy scriptures.God never commands this day to be celebrated either.Like it was stated,it coincides with Saturnalia.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm not Christian so it isn't about Christ for me either. I celebrate it because my relatives do. But I prefer Yule, and I celebrate that on my own each year.
I don't celebrate the pagan connotations, that's not part of my thing, but the 'holiday cheer' is a positive thing.

Simplelogic

Well. Its definitely not Biblical. Fir trees have been worshipped in many civilizations as everlasting fertility symbols. They were also decorated with gold and silver balls. Many believe Jeremiah spoke out against setting up fir trees. This custom was always observed around the winter solstice festival (late Dec).

1Hear the word which the LORD speaks to you, O house of Israel.
2Thus says the LORD,
Do not learn the way of the nations,
And do not be terrified by the signs of the heavens (Babylonia sun worship)
Although the nations are terrified by them;

3For the customs of the peoples are delusion;
Because it is wood cut from the forest,
The work of the hands of a craftsman with a cutting tool.

4“They decorate it with silver and with gold;
They fasten it with nails and with hammers
So that it will not totter
. Jeremiah 10

Then we have another interesting verse which speaks of the final destruction of Babylon. Look what happens to the fir trees afterwards:

4that you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon, and say,
“How the oppressor has ceased,
And how fury has ceased!

5“The LORD has broken the staff of the wicked (Babylon),
The scepter of rulers

6Which used to strike the peoples in fury with unceasing strokes,
Which subdued the nations in anger with unrestrained persecution.

7“The whole earth is at rest and is quiet;
They break forth into shouts of joy.

8“Even the cypress trees rejoice over you, and the cedars of Lebanon (fir trees), saying,
Since you (Babylon) were laid low, no tree cutter comes up against us.’ Isaiah 14

I don't celebrate the pagan connotations, that's not part of my thing, but the 'holiday cheer' is a positive thing.

Yeah I see all that holiday cheer.When people are crushing each other in doorways to malls trying to buy cheap things.Drunk driving.Mothers trying to make dinners and stressing over it.Ungrateful kids all selfish.

Why does G-d have to 'command' a celebration, just seems cynical.

My point is God never commanded it because it is not as important as Jesus' death.
Ecclesiastes 7:1 A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of one’s birth.

Jesus commands that we remember his death.Nowhere in the holy scriptures does it say remember his birth.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Well. Its definitely not Biblical. Fir trees have been worshipped in many civilizations as everlasting fertility symbols. They were also decorated with gold and silver balls. Many believe Jeremiah spoke out against setting up fir trees. This custom was always observed around the winter solstice festival (late Dec).

Good grief, the Xmas tree altar is not a statement against Jesus.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
My point is God never commanded it because it is not as important as Jesus' death.
Ecclesiastes 7:1 A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of one’s birth.

Jesus commands that we remember his death.Nowhere in the holy scriptures does it say remember his birth.
His followers always noted His birth, because He wasn't an average person.

The fact of the matter is that X-mas is a false holiday and has nothing to do with God or Jesus.If you notice in commercials and songs it's all about Santa.It is a commercial mega holiday for the purpose of making mega bucks for corporations.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Christmas is a Christian holiday that honors Jesus... so... uh... yes?

It is not to be confused with Giftmas, the American celebration of wanton materialism and consumption that is mistakenly called by the same name.

Nor is it to be confused with Familymas, the American celebration of good food and fine company that is mistakenly called by the same name.

:wink:

Simplelogic

Why does G-d have to 'command' a celebration, just seems cynical.
Maybe. Maybe God wanted the Israelites to have parties and celebrations while remembering the many times that He delivered them from their enemies? Maybe God wanted them to remember His love for them and how He comes to rescue them. This seems like a valid reason for commanding such things. Also very important for teaching children about the saving nature of God. All healthy things I believe.

Christmas is a Christian holiday that honors Jesus... so... uh... yes?

It is not to be confused with Giftmas, the American celebration of wanton materialism and consumption that is mistakenly called by the same name.

Nor is it to be confused with Familymas, the American celebration of good food and fine company that is mistakenly called by the same name.

:wink:
X-mas has nothing at all to do with true Christianity.